Chic city ladies--need fashion tip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Sandra

Hi!

Thanks for putting up with me stretching a travel question to fashion...I will be visiting San Francisco over the holiday season, and was invited to a semi-formal dinner party. I have a great, simple/elegant black dress to wear and a pair of cute/strappy velvet sandals that I love. BUT--since it will be a little colder there than where I am coming from...do I need to wear panty hose (sandalfoot?) or can I get away with my bear white legs and toes as I would in Arizona? Or do I need to find a pair of fancy mules that I won't have to worry how panty hose look with? Any advice about what dressy, fun holiday shoes/stockings/outerwear you wear in cold, chic, big cities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Suzie

Sandra-I would definitely wear hose. I have seen hose now that have the toes cut off for sandals. You can find them in any better department store. Have fun!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Steph

Definitely wear pantyhose (sandalfoot).
Some brands make very sheer styles, either in skin-tone or a very off black that are perfect for evening wear and dressy sandals.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:05 AM
The Old Lady

I can't even believe someone would ask if they need stockings for a semi-formal dinner. What next? No gloves?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Cosmo

Find a pair of stockings that are as nude as possible, with our without toes (but if they have toes, make sure they're sandlefoot). Nude is in; colored stockings are out.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:36 AM
xxx

Not only is it proper fashion to wear hose for semi-formal events, you'll find that the weather will be too cold for bare legs. You may also want to give some thought as to what coat you'll be wearing to the event.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:17 PM
xxx

Can't speak for San Francisco (but you did ask about 'big cities" , right?)but in NY , at least, it is de rigeur to go without pantyhose even on the most frigid days, if you're going to be indoors at a chic party. Chances are you'll go by cab and be in a heated room
all evening. Why is it stranger to go hose-less than to wear strapless or sleeveless dresses ?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Esther

Unless you have really great looking, skinny legs with no vein showing, you can choose to be "de rigeur." Personally, I think ladies older than 30 look a little ridiculous with no hose.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:33 PM
xxx

I wasn't about to comment on who does or doesn't look good without hose ( I don't necessarily disagree with you, Esther), just tried to answer Sandra's original question from a style point of view.
For a dinner party (in someone's house I assume, not at a country club or hotel,)"semi-formal" (not black tie) and especially since she asked( and so, I assume would probably prefer not to bother, if she doesn't "have to") I stand by my opinion. Again, that's NY --if someone in SF has different experiences, help Sandra out! ( I can't tell from the posts already here if the posters are from SF or elsewhere)

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:16 PM
laura

Skip the hose. Your legs might look white to you in Arizona, but probably won't to people in San Francisco. However, if you want to darken them, several companies now make lotion that adds a little color and sparkle, so it looks like you're wearing hose.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:21 PM
ForHose

Sorry, no hose is fine for summer or spring but not at Christmas and San Fransico is a more conservative than NYC. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:27 PM
abc

I live in California and live 2 hours from SF and visit quite often. Since your event is semi-formal (not black tie formal) I think that you could go either way. Even though SF is a "big city", you'll be surprised at how casual some people are. Especially since it's near Silicon Valley where dressing more casual is the norm. If your dress is shorter in length (above the knees) I would personally go with hose. If it's on a longer length (down to the ankles) I would forgo it. Hose would look better with velvet sandles. If the event is at someone's house, it tends to be a bit more casual than at a restaurant. This hose or non-hose also depends on how old you are. Younger crowds tend to go without hose. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Ginny

They have toeless hose now, there is a little string that goes between the toes . Get a great pedicure before hand and have fun.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Sandra

Thanks for all the great opinions and tips!

I think I am leaning toward finding a pair of nude sandalfoot (or hopefully the toeless hose) to wear with the strappy shoes. My dress is actually cut just below the knees, so I could probably get away without hose, but wearing the hose will have the added slimming benefit and also some warmth. All of your replies were very helpful--I just wasn't sure if people would think I was tacky wearing discreet hose under the sandals.

Thanks again!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 05:01 PM
vivian

I am not sure what color your dress is but right now patterned hose are very in from small fishnet to large fishnets and all styles of patterns in between. Depending on your age a patterned hose can give some nice coverage. oops I see your dress is black go with black patterned hose then!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:34 PM
abc

Oh, another thing. Something fun to do if you have time. Go schedule a free makeover at one of the department store makeup counters. I would call to get an appointment rather than go a wait.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Dee

What do these terms mean? de rigeur and outre?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:57 AM
xx

Yup, control top panty hose does wonders .

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Sam

de rigueur: required by custom or etiquette

outre: outside the bounds of what is usual or proper

Sandra, wear the hose. You can always remove them as the evening unfolds! I have done this & it's actually kind of a sexy thing to do! Now, some may say this is outre but in some circles it's de rigueur!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 09:00 AM
CocoChanel

I say, if you've got the gams - go sans hose - apply one of the good tan creams that are now available so you won't look "ghost-like". It looks so much better when wearing sandals. Also, does anyone REALLY think a pair of sheer pantyhose will keep their legs warm? Too funny!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -