cheeseburger in paradise - is it J. Buffets?

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheeseburger in paradise - is it J. Buffets?

Are the Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Oahu & Maui part of the Jimmy Buffet chain?

if not, what is the theming inside?
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
GoTravel

Buffet sued them over the 'Cheeseburger In Paradise' name and won. 'Cheeseburger In Paradise' is his joint venture partnership with Outback Steakhouse.

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks, so, he used to not own them, but now he does... okay, guess tha tmakes sense.

it's just that on J. Buffets website it does not include the Cheeseburgers in P... in Hawaii in the locations,
so I was wondering..

but thanks, I guess I know what to expect now
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM

When we were at Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui a couple years ago the waiter said the restaurant and Buffet had reached an agreement. I sure didn't get the impression that he (Buffet) has anything to do with that chain though. I guess things could have changed since then. Whatever, the cheeseburgers were better than the food I've had in Margaritaville... Jean
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:03 PM
GoTravel

Buffet may not own the CIP in Hawaii but he ownes the ones on the mainland.

For more info go to www.cheeseburgerinparadise.com

CiP is more of a burger joint/bar/live music venue while Margaritaville is more of a theme restaurant.

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Buffet won the lawsuit only in the respect that the owners of the Cheeseburger restaurants cannot name any new restaurants with the Paradise moniker. This is why you have Cheeseburgers, Mai Tais and Rock and Rock and Cheeseburger at the Oasis. The two they already had in operation under that name were allowed to keep the name. Buffet then opened his own restaurants under that name on the maniland. They have no connection in nothing in common, other than a common name.

From Tuesday's Maui News:
http://www.mauinews.com/community/st...ooking0803.asp
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Not to be picky but as a true Parrot Head I must point out that it's Jimmy Buffett not Buffet!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:55 PM
GoTravel

fun2travel you aren't a parrothead! Any parrothead I know worth his/her salt is too laid back to get their feathers ruffled about anything except running out of tequilla!

(LOL just kidding!)

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

well I most certainly am glad I asked!

we love Jimmy Buffett and his Maragaritaville in Orlando & Vegas, I was hoping the CIP in Hawaii were his...
oh well, maybe we'll try it anyway
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I ate at cheeseburgers in Wailea the other night. They are not the best burgers on the island, nor the cheapest, but it's an OK meal, you know? They are usually kind of crowded and we got surly waiter this time--it's a touristy burger place.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Agree with what here2todaygone2maui said: long wait, poor service, average burgers. Is it worth it? I thought no.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM

My nine-year-old grandson loved eating at Cheeseburgers in Paradise at Waikiki. I think he enjoyed reading the menu about as much as the food. A 10-napkin burger is his idea of paradise.

My birthday was about a month after we got home, and my daughter took me to a surprise lunch at a place she had seen just south of Indianapolis. It turned out to be a surprise for both of us. Its name was Cheeseburger in Paradise; but it had a Cuban theme, blackened meats, etc., but really copied the idea of the restaurant in Hawaii. The waitress said it was the only one of its kind. We considered whether to report them for trademark infringement, but maybe from what you all say it is legitimate.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 10:05 AM
GoTravel

www.cheeseburgerinparadise.com

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM

You can't "report" someone for trademark infringement. The party who believes that they have been infringed upon has to initiate the process of enforcing their trademark or other intelletual property rights.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM

We also ate at the Cheeseburger place in Wailea when we were in Maui last month. We had a reservation at Humuhumu next door; the kids took one look at the menu and we ended up next door. I had a salad that wasn't bad and the rest had burgers and were happy. The place was fairly empty at 8:30 on a Saturday night.

This reminded of the last Buffett concert I went to. We usually go with a group of friends and now our kids are old enough to go as well. We divide up the seats and at the this concert a friend and I sat together right above stage left and our husbands sat with our sons in the balcony. It was my turn to supply the parrot paraphernalia so I got the women headbands with a parrot perched on top. About 20 minutes into the concert my friend and I appeared on the big screen and Buffett started teasing us about our headbands, telling us what a cute couple we were and how it must be true that over the years you start to look alike (we look so much alike strangers often ask if we are twins). We thought the jokes were a little odd, until my husband came over and told me that the boys were embarrassed and to take the headbands off. I didn't think about it when I got them, but the band itself was covered by a rainbow ribbon and Buffett thought we were a gay couple.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM

just got back and loved CIP- We've eaten ther on previous trips but this time seemed really good! We ate at the one in lahaina- Blacka and blue burger was out of this world!And we had a very Nice waiter