Reload this Page >

Check your United Flights...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:08 AM
Ess

I heard on the news this morning that many of their flights have been cancelled or are delayed because of a hail storm that has damaged a lot of their planes.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 08:08 AM
xx

With all the planes parked at O'Hare, don't you think it's strange that only Uniteds were damaged so bad....Me thinks something foul is afoot.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 08:37 AM
John

Denver is the airport in question, I believe. And Frontier (the other carrier with a Denver hub) also had some damaged aircraft.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Bryan

It was Denver, not Chicago.

This is from AP:

Several airlines are scrambling to get their flight schedules back on track after a vicious hailstorm damaged dozens of aircraft on the ground in Denver Wednesday night.

United Airlines canceled nearly 100 flights Thursday after 32 of its jets suffered damage when golf-ball-sized hail rained down on Denver International Airport. The damage will mean more cancellations for the next several days while United assesses the extent of the damage and plans a repair schedule, the carrier warned. Friday's schedule factored in about 50 cancellations, the carrier said.

Nineteen of United's planes will be out of service for at least two weeks, the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based carrier said. Another 10 aircraft will be down for between three days and two weeks, while the other three jets are expected back in service by Monday.

At least one of the planes was struck by lightning, United said.

Denver-based Frontier Airlines was forced to cancel about 15 flights after four planes were pulled out of service because of hail damage, the airline said. One of the jets is expected to be back in service by the weekend, but the other three have more substantial damage.

"At this point, we are still assessing the damage and working with various vendors to secure parts for the damaged aircraft," said Frontier COO Jeff Potter. "It is difficult to estimate the financial impact at this point, but we will incur uninsured costs associated with repairing the aircraft that could total as much as $750,000."

Regional carrier Great Lakes Airlines reported damage to 21 planes. Most of the damaged aircraft have been ferried to maintenance facilities for detailed inspections, the carrier said.

The Cheyenne, Wyo.-based carrier said its Denver schedule, which includes 256 weekday flights, would be back to normal "by early next week."

The cancellations caused by the storm stranded some 2,000 passengers in Denver Wednesday night.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:47 AM
Al

Just read in the paper this morning the mechanics are talking walkout. Looks like United might be in the same boat it was last summer...

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
kam

United is just a disaster! My husband is currently in Italy and scheduled to SFO tomorrow through Dulles. Yesterday his flight was 5 hours late, arriving at 1:30 am. That means the whole flight took about 22 hours, and considerably more if you count time getting to/from airports. And we pay for this? Today doesn't look much better and I'm sure they'll screw up tomorrow. UA doesn't offer service, they offer excuses. Bad idea to book with them.