Cheaper to fly longer

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 02:15 PM
Jack

Cheaper to fly longer

Can anybody tell me why it's cheaper to fly from Boston to Charlotte to Greensboro then to fly just from Boston to Charlotte (same plane) on US Air? Also are there any consumer action groups fighting this ?

Thanks

Jack

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 03:07 PM
Brian in Atlanta

There are many more business people flying from BOS to CLT than there are flying BOS-CLT-GSO. Business travelers are much less price sensitive than leisure travelers.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 03:31 PM
Dave

On SAS, it is much cheaper to go from Newark to Copenhagen to Helsinki, than from Newark to Copenhagen (same plane).

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
question

Can you just get off the plane and not get back on?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:47 PM
Jim

If you just "get off the plane" you better have a one way ticket. If the airline catches you, your return is cancelled and you owe the one-way fare. Plus, your luggage is checked to the final destination on the ticket. If they check your bags at the gate, you're out of luck. Been there, done that, won't do it again!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:16 PM
Patrick

I live in Naples, Florida, about 100 miles west of Miami and served by American Eagle. I have never understood why I can get a price to drive to Miami and then fly to Europe, California, or almost anywhere else in the world on American and it is nearly always more expensive than adding the Eagle flight from Naples to Miami and then joining the American flight. But I know that if I don't get on in Naples, but drive to Miami, my ticket will already be cancelled.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 05:55 AM
ncgrrl

Charlotte-Douglas Airport is one of the most expensive in the nation because 90%+ of the flights are USAir.

Greensboro (Piedmont-Triad) has a variety of carriers and thus has price wars and cheaper flights.

Last year Southwest came to Raleigh-Durham and the price for EVERY carrier went down.

People who live east of Charlotte Douglas also check Piedmont-Triad prices because the difference is worth the drive.

I have also heard it's cheaper to fly through to Dayton Ohio than getting off the plane in Cincinnati and to fly through to Colorado Springs than getting off the plane Denver.