Cheap Vacation suggestions

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Vacation suggestions

For various complicated reasons we have 9 days off in July, no firm plans, and not a whole lot of money to spend. We live in Philadelphia, and are willing to drive, although obviously we need to figure in the cost of gas, and need to keep the drive within what can be done in one or two days with a single driver.

We don't want to go camping, and have seen a lot of the Eastern shore and Colonial Williamsburg in recent years. DH kind of wanted San Antonio, but we're just not making it work in terms of distance and cost, and I'm not thinking it's the best time of year to visit there. DS and I wanted to do a non-theme park Orlando vacation, which I can bring in around $100-$125 a day (figuring four days-or $400-$500 total plus gas), but DH claims to be tired of driving to Florida and says no theme parks is a tease.

We are two adults and a teenager,and food is always a big part of any budget. We are pretty easily amused, and especially like history. We also like nice hotels but are willing to be unfussy in search of a bargain as long as said bargain in clean, safe, and has a pool. We're not figuring that our budget will allow us to spend the whole time away, but we would like a night or two at least, and really do need to keep the whole thing, exclusive of gas, under $500.

Any ideas? What I think I really need is a touristy destination where competition keeps the cost of rooms and restaurants relatively low, but the only ones that come to my mind are Las Vegas and Orlando.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM

I'd likely consider the Finger Lakes region of NY or the Hudson River Valley. Or if oyou'd like to visit my home state of Ohio - http://www.hockinghills.com/
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM

In Eastern PA, you can drive to the Laurel Highllands, which are very pretty. If you are into architecture, you can visit Kentuck Knob and Fallingwater, private homes built by world famous Frank Lloyd Wright, which are open to the public (for fee). You can do day trips white water rafting on the Youghiogheny River near Ohiopyle. Depending on your budget, I would suggest staying at Seven Springs or Nemacolin Resort. There are also B&Bs in the area. There is a pre-Revolutionary battleground nearby as well. Here is a link to Laurel Highlands, http://www.laurelhighlands.org/index.asp.

Not too far away is the amusement park, Kennywood,which has a ton of old fashioned roller coasters and might be a fun day trip with your teenager. http://www.kennywood.com/
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

The finger lakes have been in consideration, but we're a little uncertain how much fun they are the teenager. Hudson River Valley is something we've also seen a fair amount of, since it's a doable day trip from my parent's house.

Lbloom's itinerary looks great, and we had considered something along those lines, but we just hadn't been able to work it into the budget, especially since I think it's a little too far for an overnight, and we'd need two hotel nights.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Sandusky-Cleveland, OH. Great amusement park, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, etc.. There are some pretty good deals on Cedar Point's website.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Once again, great idea, and something we did consider, but not really in what really is a bare bones budget, especially since we'd definitely need two or three nights for that.

I'm really trying to lodge 3 people somewhere around $50 a night, feed them 3 meals for somewhere around the same, and spend another 20 or so on amusing them. There's a little flexibility in that, especially if we're only looking at one or two nights, but not much. I know I can do it in Orlando, and I think I could do it in Las Vegas (but I don't want to pay for the flights, and it's too far to drive), but I've been stumped as to anywhere else it might be possible.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was signing in to suggest a cabin on a lake in New England. But I guess that's greater distance and budget than you have available.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Distance is fine, but I can't imagine I could find one in the budget. We're pretty flexible on the driving distance (just not to the West Coast), but of course, the longer the trip, the more nights you have to pay for and the more gas you have to budget for. Essentially the farther away it is, the cheaper it's got to be. And it does sound like fun.

We have been whining that we don't know where we want to go, but the issue is really money. If we had a $1500 budget we would have a lot of ideas, but we really are trying to exercise a little financial discipline and not use credit cards or dip into savings.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM

First draft:
Combining some of the above:

Day 1-2: Drive to Wisconsin Dells WI (16 hours)
Day 3-4: Wisconsin Dells – water parks, touristy stuff
Day 5: Drive to Dearborn MI (8 ½ hours)
Day 6: Henry Ford Museum and Deerfield Village, Dearborn MI
Day 7: Drive to Sandusky (2 hours) – Cedar Point -
Day 8: drive to Cleveland (1 hour) - Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
Day 9: Drive home 8 hours

There are also major league ball parks in Detroit and Cleveland if you’d be interested in that
---
I just reread your note and see that you were looking for something much shorter and cheaper. I'm going to leave this up, but will revise it.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Would you consider tent camping? That could reduce your per night costs. The hotel could easily be the biggest part of your budget. It seems like it is harder and harder to stay much under $100 per night.

Have you been to Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village? (Note - I put Deefield Village above and that is incorrect.) That rated a 10 with me and if you are interested in history, I think you'd love it. Browsing their website, they also have car factory tours. Dearborn is about 10 1/2 hours (plus stops) from Philadelphia, so you could theoretically make it in one long day both directions.

How about Montreal or Quebec City?

Another
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM

Your budget is really tight - you will not be able to even rent a cabin for that much. I started thinking south - where it is so hot that places might go for low cost in July. I checked out Savannah - and there are a number of hotels in the Midtown area (about 4 miles from Historic District) for $50-70 per night that will accomodate 3 adults. And some of them come with breakfast. Myrtle Beach as hotels for a bit more - I think $50/night for a hotel room is unlikely to happen.

In either place there is the beach, obviously, and Savannah has all sorts of historic stuff to see. One day drive, and not a lot of tolls between you and there. Could even check out Charleston - not sure what hotels would cost there.

As far as food - $50 is almost impossible, and not going to get you into restaurants. But if you get a hotel with breakfast and then are willing to do picnics or takeout for the other meals, that is likely the only way you can keep within that budget. We have traveled with a cooler and bought picnic makings for lunch at a supermarket and for dinner done pizza/takeout Chinese food for dinner. Or again, at the supermarket a rotisserie chicken, loaf of bread and salad bar makes a nice dinner - but you have to be willing to eat in the room or find a park for a picnic.

All sorts of money saving tips - like bringing paper plates, sodas and drinks for the cooler, etc.

Essentially, you would be camping in a hotel room - without the mosquitoes, racoons or worrying about the tent leaking.

So even if you don't like my cities - I would think south of DC - and agree Orlando without theme parks would be silly.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

We'd theoretically be willing, but I don't really enjoy it, and we don't own a tent and probably don't have anyone to borrow one from, so we'd have to buy or rent one, and while campsites are a lot cheaper than hotels, we'd still have to pay something.

DH would be willing to drive that in a day (we can do Orlando from here in one LONG day) although I don't know if I can sell him on that long of a drive just for the Henry Ford Museum. I am going to tinker with it a little bit and see if it looks practical.

The whole trip idea is another great sounding itinerary that I just don't see possibly being cheap enough. I am keeping these in mind for another trip though, since cost is really the only issue, these all sound great.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

We hadn't really looked at Savannah, since I think of it as a fairly expensive city to stay in, but these things can change. We do like it, and definitely do consider it in a day's drive.

I'm not as fond of Charleston, although I did price it out a couple of months ago since DS would love to visit Fort Sumter. Downtown would be probably be out of the question, but I remember decentish motels in North Charleston coming in around that range, although that is in closer proximity to some of DH's relatives than I want to be, since they'll then want to know why we're not staying with them, which is impossible to answer politely.

I will take another look at Savannah, though.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM

$50 a day for food for 3 meals for 3 people is only $5.50 per meal. $50 for a room to sleep 3 people seems too low to be realistic for most of the cities being mentioned. I know you don't want to consider camping, but I really think that's what your budget allows and where you could get the most bang for your buck.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Might consider hopping the 200 miles or so to Front Royal Va

blueridgeskyline.com

blueridgeparkway.org

to the Smokies fun lots to do cool a beautiful drive

and very close... lots of cute little BBs hotels koa.com

camper cabins and tent camping sites along the way...

Gatlinburg a bit too tourist for me kids like it.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
cd

Have you been to the Outer Banks? It is a lovely area and staying in the middle, there are day trips to be had in either direction. For instance a day trip will take you to Ocracoke and staying in Nags Head will give you the ability to do that. Nags Head has two very clean hotel/motels that are reasonable in price. The Cavalier: http://www.cavaliermotel.net/index.html and Owens: http://www.owensmotel.com/ Both are oceanfront. The Cavalier has a pool but I'm not sure if Owens does or not. To do your own cooking would help your budget and if you like seafood there are many places here where you can buy the freshest and take it home to cook.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM

classic.mapquest.com directions distances for your planning
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I'm actually not sure camping is the answer to my troubles, unless we wanted to spend a week in a state park, which we really don't. I took a quick look at what tent sites were going for in commercial campgrounds in a couple of areas we had thought about and they were nearly comparable to cheap motel rooms, therefore making it in my mind something you would do because you wanted to, not a way to save a couple of bucks.

I need to run Dearborn past DH but it actually seems to be closer (just around 600 miles) than I realized, and running a lot of specials which may put it in reach for a couple of nights.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Oh, OK then, and yes I was thinking state parks with your own equipment not "commercial campgrounds". Well good luck with your planning. Though I'm still having trouble picturing the $16/per day/per person budget for food when you're away from home, regardless of destination.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's not possible everywhere, and we eat a lot, but given a motel with an included breakfast, access to a decent grocery store, and a reasonable selection of cheap restaurants/food outlets, it can be done, although we're probably a little closer to $20 a person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -