Cheap/safe hotel in LA area

Old Jun 7th, 2015, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap/safe hotel in LA area

I'm visiting Sequoia National Park in September, flying in and out of LAX. I want to spend my final night in the LA region so I don't have a long drive to the airport. Departure is 1 pm. My budget makes things a challenge. I'd like to stay around $100/night, but can go as high as $150. Safe and clean are my only other criteria. Is there an area, including nearby towns, that I should check out? It would be nice if it were somewhere I could enjoy a nice walk the final morning. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 04:46 AM

There is a Travelodge in this price range about a mile from LAX.

HTtY
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search Manhattan Beach on booking.com, there are a couple of well-rated budget motels right on PCH...in the morning if you have time you could park by the beach and enjoy a walk (with lots of other folks and doggies) along the Strand, then you'd have a 10 to 12 min ride to LAX.

If you'd rather stay north of the airport, since you're driving in from Sequoia, maybe Villa Brasil motel or the Jolly Roger near Marina del Rey.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 08:30 AM

The Courtyard Marriott in Marina del Rey has free parking and usually low rates. Ask for the Loyola Marymount U. rate (unless they jack up the price for parents! ha).

Or Manhattan Beach is probably the best recommendation, for great location.

Finally, the 'airport' hotels can be less than $150, like the Sheraton or Travelodge already mentioned.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 09:54 AM

You can easily find a place within that range around LAX, the usual chains (Motel 6, Travelodge, etc.). Even the Four Points by Sheraton there should be less than $150. The closest town nearby with hotels in that budget is probably El Segundo, a lot of airline personnel stay there. It's not exactly that scenic as a town, though, so not sure you're better off than closer to the airport. It's only a few miles away, though.

Manhattan Beach and Marina Del Rey would probably be the closest places more interesting, but they'll cost more for the same quality.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 10:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The Courtyard Marriott in Marina del Rey has free parking and usually low rates.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Try SeaView Inn in Manhattan Beach a block from the beach with bikes and rental chairs but may be above $150 by the time you add in 15% hotel taxes on top of that. Close to the airport, I would not stay at an airport hotel just to save on room rates, very few places to walk to, limited places to eat. I think it is above your budget possibly but we used to put visitors up at the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo, believe you can take their shuttle or the Ocean Express Shuttle for a low fee to eat in nearby Manhattan Beach.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If this will be a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, look at the Doubletree by Hilton or Hilton Garden Inn, both in El Segundo. You might find $139/night; weekdays are higher because of business travelers. The Doubletree is within walking distance of several inexpensive restaurants (Chipotle, The Habit Burger, Five Guys Burgers, Malibu Fish Grill, Rubio's). If you'd have a car, parking would be free and easy to find. Or you could drive about 1.5 miles west to the center of El Segundo and find many nicer dining options.

You can check your dates, but I'm sure the Sea View Inn rates are higher.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the update, janis, that the Marriott Courtyard @ Marina del Rey is closed now.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I was hoping I could find something affordable in one of the nearby communities, like the ones mentioned above, but everything is too expensive. Seaview Inn, for example, is $175 plus tax for my date. I guess I will stay at the Wingate by the airport since it gets good reviews and the price is ok.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Don't walk alone at night in the area of the Wingate and don't leave anything in the rental car. I think you should ask for a room facing La Cienega, or it could be noisy.

IMO, the La Quinta a couple of blocks away on Century Boulevard would be a better location, although you might have to pay for parking there.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean. I looked at the La Quinta, but it gets bad reviews on safety, referencing lots of homeless hanging out around the hotel and bed bugs.

I'm really wishing I had chosen to fly in and out of San Jose because it would be a lot easier to get a hotel. I went with LAX because it was on Southwest and allows free bags and a cheaper price.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Southwest flies to San Jose. Can you change your flight?
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Look at the Hi View Inn & Suites on Sepulveda Boulevard in Manhattan Beach.

http://www.hiviewinn.com/

Did you check the rates at the two Hiltons in El Segundo that I suggested upthread?
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I went with LAX because it was on Southwest and allows free bags and a cheaper price.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:42 PM

We have had good experiences with the small hotel group, Pacifica.

You might look at this one at Hermosa Beach. Not far from LAX.

Prices can be below $150.

mhttp://www.pacificahotels.com/hotelhermosa/specials
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM

I picked randomly Sept 7, one night was only $111.00. Decent to get the freebies, too.

KING CITY VIEW
1 King bed
Refrigerator & in-room coffee
Complimentary continental breakfast
Complimentary wireless internet
Complimentary parking
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tabernash, that is a possibility. I'll look at tripadvisor. Looks like the rate for my night is $129.
I did find that the Travelodge in Santa Monica gets pretty good reviews and has a rate of $134. It's at 3102 Pico Blvd at 31st. Is this a safe location?

Janis, Southwest doesn't fly directly to San Jose, Burbank, etc (only Vegas and I don't want to drive from there). I'm ok with my choice. I'll learn a new area!
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 09:01 AM

The Travelodge in Santa Monica is fine and so is the Seashore Motel. You will have to leave for the airport a bit earlier in the morning depending on what time your flight is.....maybe as much as an hour earlier if you're departure is between 8am and 10:30am or between 6pm and 9:30pm. (There are two ongoing construction nightmares near Santa Monica this year).
However if you stay in Marina del Rey, Culver City, El Segundo or Manhattan Beach , you will also have to be very careful about what time you are driving into Los Angeles from Sequoia and what time you are navigating towards the airport area.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM

(In fact I know of many situations where people will take a connecting flight out of Burbank airport instead of dealing with LAX. The 40 minute connection time in Vegas is better than the two-hour mess of getting over to LAX).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -