Search

Cheap in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap in San Diego

My Boyfriend and I are going to San Diego in Mid-April. We will be there for 5 nights so we are looking for ways to cut costs. We are not planning on renting a car so we need to be near public transportation, however we plan on spending most of the time on the beach. We are looking for an affordable hotel (around or less then $100.00 a night)that is on the beach or in very close, walkable proximity to the beach. Any ideas??
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I'm not particularly hopeful. San Diego is a popular tourist destination, and anything close to the beach will be well over $100/night, OR will have some undesirable trait-- like, say, being in the flight path of departing (or arriving) planes from San Diego International Airport. April and May can also get busy with college graduations, Navy stuff, etc.

Priceline may be your best bet, but at this late date you may end up in Oceanside....
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM
ltt

you won't get anything close to the beach for that price (unless it's a real dive). you may be better off getting a place in hotel circle or old town and then rent a car to get to the beach areas.
the cheapest hotel i know of right on pacific beach is surfer motor lodge and it is showing a rate of around $130-...
it is a great location but it is an old hotel and some of the mattresses etc leave a lot to be desired. but if location is key, we were glad we stayed there.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Jeli:

There are some hotel offers on www.sandiego.org - this is the official tourist site.

Good luck.

Sandy
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:26 PM

SandyBrit: The website is all well and good, but in popular destinations like southern CA, you get what you pay for. The properties close to the beach on sandiego.org are priced fairly in mid-April; the good hotels are well over $100 a night, and the cheap ones are holes.

Jeli, I think you may have to either spend a little more on the room, or break down and rent a car and stay farther away from the beach. Especially on such short notice....
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:32 AM

Jeli:

If you do decide that you can afford a few more $$ try The Ocean Park Inn located right on the beach. Breakfast included on the rate. www.oceanparkinn.com - Sometimes you can get cheaper rates for this hotel and others at the www.sandiego.org website.

Some of the hotels on Mission Bay are an easy walk to the beach.

You will love San Diego.

Sandy