Reload this Page >

Cheap/Decent Lodging in Honolulu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:06 AM
Therese

I'm looking (on behalf of a friend who is a retired teacher) for an inexpensive hotel or Bed and Breakfast in Honolulu. Any ideas will be appreciated. Honolulu is an expensive city, and she's staying for about a week (weekly rates?). I think that her travel dates are early December, if that's in any way significant.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:12 AM
Gina

Try the Manoa Valley Inn, near the University.

url:http://www.aloha.net/~wery/mvbroch.htm

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:58 PM
pete

I've stayed at the Outrigger Maile Sky Court hotel twice before for a week each time. Unfortunately, last time I stayed was about 5 years ago. It was clean, and some of the rooms have a kitchenette (great for saving money on breakfasts and snacks). I think the rate was just around $80-85 per night. I recently saw a vacation package special on frommers.com for 5 nights at the Maile Sky Court plus airfare from the west coast for $356 pp. So they probably have some good rates right now. A lot of the airlines put up flight crews in the hotel. It was very comfortable, the staff was friendly and was in Waikiki right across from Ft. DeRussy. The only downside was that the rooms do not have balconies, but it was very convenient, and it's a tall building so you do have great views over waikiki from the rooms, ask for a corner room & you'll get the little kitchenette.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:48 AM
m

Just got back from Waikiki and stayed at the Ohana Royal Islander. It was a smaller hotel but was just across the street from the beach. I booked it via the internet and paid $71 a night including taxes. I booked it through Hwaii Connection which is based in California. I made the reservations about a week prior to my going to Hawaii and found them very prompt and helpful. In case you want to check them out, their web site is www.hawaii-conenction.com. Each room has a little lanai but since the Royal Islander isn't right in front of the beach, all we could see was the street and some roof tops. But it wasn't bad if you just wanted to sit outside for a little while. The rooms were also smallish but just right for two people. The staff were very nice and helpful. Best of luck in your search.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:07 AM
lani

i think the maile sky court and the royal islander are great places. the maile sky court used to do continental breakfast, but i'm not sure if this was for tour groups only or not. two other under-$100/nt hotels that have continental breakfast included, the waikiki sand villa and the waikiki gateway hotel.

i've stayed at the sand villa once several years ago, it was about a 5-10 min walk to international market place, and another 5 min to the beach. this is a small hotel with a nightmarishly small underground parking. the rooms were average sized but clean and decent, although at the time a little old. if your friend is taking the city bus, it's only a 2-min walk to the nearest stops. they didn't do the breakfast then, but on a subsequent visit i did see some mini-muffins and fruit out. most room s have a view of the ala wai canal and the mountains.

the gateway is almost on the other end of waikiki, across the street from niketown. it's a bit far from the 'main' parts of waikiki but a good value (it took us about 15 min to get there, at a moderate pace). there's a bus stop outside that goes right to ala moana shopping centre, although the return stop is a block away. i think this hotel has special internet rates, i can't remember the site offhand but do a search and you'll find it.

hope your friend has a good time!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:43 PM
topper

Check out the thread titled "Aston Waikiki Beach Tower" for some ideas. I'll top it for you.
Aloha