Reload this Page >

cheap accomodation in nyc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Allan

I've been to NYC before and stayed at the beacon hotel. I found this hotel to be great and in a good location. I'm returning in October this year on my own and as much as I would like, cannot afford to stay at the beacon(aussie dollar not so good to the usa). Can anyone recommend a cheaper hotel to stay at for one person which is clean with private facilties and in a good location(hopefully around $100 US). I'm not concerned about the size of the room; as long as I can get a good nights sleep.

Thanks Allan

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Allan

$100 dollars may be a bit unrealistic I know; maybe $130 us a night might sound a bit better.

Thanks Allan

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
Bite O'Apple

Have you tried accomline.com or quikbook.com? They usually come up with some good options. Under $100 you may not have a lot of choice. For a bit more you may do better. I like the Marcel which usually goes for about $125 with breakfast.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:27 AM
TC

Also try Express Reservations at http://www.express-res.com. Their agents are very knowledgable about the property's location and appeal. Give them a call if you have questions.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:42 AM
Frank

If you are willing to spend a little more, like $135, you can probably get a single room at the Habitat Hotel on 57th Street and Lexington Avenue. You can't beat the location, and the hotel was totally renovated a couple of years ago. They also have shared bath rooms for around $100. Check out their website at habitat-ny.com. Good Luck.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Suzy

I just booked a few nights in mid-July at the Comfort Inn Midtown for $98 per night, that's a discounted rate for AAA members or people over 50. I believe that the regular rate would have been $109. Not sure waht October rates would be. Very handy location (129 W 46). This hotel is entirely nonsmoking and seems to have only queen-size beds.

You can usually get a 3- or 4-star hotel in most areas of Manhattan on Priceline for under $100.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:03 AM
jj

I got a huge room at the Park Central (3 and a half stars, great location) through Priceline for $100 a night. Ordinarily the room is twice that. While you can't bid on any one particular hotel, you can wind up w/a 3 or 4 star for $100 or less.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:47 AM
me

...try Super8 hotel and Red Roof Inn

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:08 AM
george

One can usually get a 3-4 star hotel for $100 in Manhattan using Priceline. The quality of these hotels is typically much better than other "budget" hotels. The hotels that people typically get are the Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriott, etc.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:51 PM
Allan

Thanks for the responses. Would it be fair to say with the websites mentioned like accomline.com etc cheaper prices can be achieved if booking is made as close as possible to your accommodation dates, or is not really relevant?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:04 AM
Suzy

The rate for a room can go up or down, depending on expected demand. For instance, the price for the room I just booked at the Comfort Inn dropped $10 in the week between the time I first checked it and when I booked it.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:08 AM
Kate

Check out The Habitat Hotel it is at 130 West 57th between Park and Lexington. It is excellent location close to shopping and the museums. They are a Euro style hotel. Check it out...good luck

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:26 AM
cindy

I stayed at the Beacon in April and paid less than $130 - I think it was $125, actually. I booked it from one of the discount sites - maybe hoteldiscounts.com?? I wish I could remember so that I could give you more specific info, but I was planning a couple of trips at once and the details have muddled themselves in my mind. In any case, I paid a lot less than the rack rate. If you shop around the various sites, you might be able to stay at the Beacon affordably.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:44 AM
gracie

I just booked at the Hotel Pennsylvania for July 26th through hoteldiscounts.com.
The rate was quite good (I think..) $79.95 plus tax.
Now I'm wondering if you have any opinions about the Pennsylvania.
Is it really that bad?

Gracie

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Statia

I've heard that Red Roof Inn on 32nd off 5th Avenue has rooms for $100 per night. I also agree that a lot of folks get great rates thru priceline.com, just as long as you don't have to be in a specific area.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Suzy

Update! The Comfort Inn Midtown has dropped their weekday rates another $10 per night; I got July 10-11 for $89 and July 12 and 13 for $98, that's a AAA rate booked online via the Choice Hotels web site.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Jen

Gracie, you don't read Dave Barry's weekly humor column, do you?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ry/3375167.htm

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Jen

Statia, Priceline doesn't let you pick the hotel, but you CAN pick the area you stay in, such as Midtown East, or Financial district. They have a map of Manhattan that shows their area boundaries.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Anja

Stayed at the Quality Inn on West 94th Street a month ago and loved it. Very nice and clean accommodations. Rate was 130 with taxes.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Susan

If you can find a hotel for $100 a night in NYC that is clean and safe, by all means . . . DO TELL!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -