Charlottsville, Virginia - please help with plans

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlottsville, Virginia - please help with plans

We will be in Charlottsville, VA for a meeting and will be taking friends from
Europe with us. I would love some help with
planning wonderful and fun meals plus any ideas you might have for activites while we
are there.
thank you
1jan1
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Well the 2 biggest attractions are the UVA campus (free tours of the Lawn are available) and nearby Monticello.
I don't remember where I ate in c-ville but I had a fantastic dining experience at a nearby plantation, Prospect Hill. It's a fixed menu, all was excellend and I loved wandering around the grounds and various rooms. It's a B&B also.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

pb_and_j - Thanks for your reply. Monticello is definitely in our plans.
Prospect Hill sounds like fun - I will check it out.
We are staying at Boar's Head Inn. Have you been there?
thanks 1jan1
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Boar's Head is right next to the campus right? Nice location. I stayed near the historic shopping area (can't remember the name, but there are no cars on the brick streets), that area is worth a stop too.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, the Boar's Head is outside of C'ville proper, to the west on Route 250. It's a lovely place, beautifully landscaped and really more of a resort than an inn. Think more along the lines of golf & tennis, spa, very clubby. The food there is excellent. You will enjoy yourself.

A C'ville institution is the C&O Restaurant. Looks like a an old southern diner from the outside but the inside is charming, the food fantastic and the winelist is extensive.

I second the motion for Prospect Hill. Wonderful food and a very romantic setting.

There are a number of vineyards in area which offer tours. The quality of the wine doesn't rival what your friends probably see in Europe but the tours are fun and the countryside is beautiful.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM

I stayed once at the Boars Head, it is a great place. And the food there is wonderful, highly recommended. They have both indoor and outdoor seating and the weather would be delightful if you're going soon (I hear the leaves are already beginning to turn. So do consider a drive on a piece of the nearby Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah's, where the views are breathtaking. In Charlottesville, there is a downtown "mall" that was created by closing off Main Street. It has many restaurants but frankly, the ones we tried (the Hardware Store Restaurant comes to mind) were over-priced and not particularly good. There is a tea room that was very cute, and lots of book stores. A couple of blocks away from there was what was called City Market -- old buildings painted into one central area with produce and shops. This was a delight, great food, interesting shops, but only a few.

We stayed with friends in Crozet and they were cooking fiends (happily) but the rumor was that the best pizza in America could be found at the Crozet Pizza. Unfortunately, it's also the pizza nazi -- you'll have to order your pickup pizza 24 hrs. ahead, you need to reserve a table the day(s) before, no substitutions, etc. so we weren't able to try it. But if you like pizza, people rave about it.

Definitely visit the campus and tour the Rotunda and its gorgeous gardens. And take the very informative tour to learn about Thomas Jefferson's spirited plans for intellectualizing and discoursing dogma. What an interesting guy.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help! I am really looking forward to this trip and you have given me a great start.
1jan1
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM

I'd second the C&O. Our daughter lives in Charlottesville and we've had a couple of great meals there: http://www.candorestaurant.com/