Reload this Page >

Charleston? Savannah?

Search

Charleston? Savannah?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:17 PM
heather

Charleston? Savannah?

We want to spend a 4 day weekend in a charming place with a variety of low key stuff to do, both driving and walking. Is it possible/worthwhile to do both cities at once or do you recommend staying in one place only?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Brock

Do both. We had been to Charleston several times but never made it to Savannah until this past Fall - it's worth seeing. Take on of the tourist carriage rides to get a quick feel for the city. Of course, if you go both places, it won't be too relaxing. Charleston has much more to see and more historic; so if you want to choose just one, go there. I don't think you could fill 4 days in Savannah, but you can easily do so in Charleston, and still want more.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Marion

I agree, do both. Suggest 3 days Charleston and 1 day Savannah.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:01 PM
lmsa_mc

I agree that if you haven't seen either place it's good to see both, but Charleston just can't be beat! If you don't do anything else while you're there, be sure to get up early one morning and spend several hours just walking around taking it in. It is quiet early with very little traffic and it is so beautiful.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Gretchen

Charleston in my estimation is the closest thing we have to a European walking experience. We have their current mayor (I think) to thank for the fact that it was on the way to the demolition heap in the 70's and someone in power valued it enough to save it. It really has it all "clicking".

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Graziella

Hi. Both are charming but in your case I would stay in Charleston four days and leave Savannah for next time. Good luck.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Carol

I live in Charleston and have had many visitors. Will parts of the 4 days include your travel time (such as Friday and Monday)? If so, maybe Charleston, alone, is the way to go.
But, if you have the extra time to squeeze in for one day, I would try to include Savannah. It's a very charming, historical city - go for the carriage or bus rides to learn a lot very quickly. It's about a 2 hour drive from the downtown Chas. area.

Charleston can surely take up the 4 days though - between the beaches, plantations, battery, historical homes, tours, great restaurants, etc. - you can wear yourself out trying to see it all in the four days.

Have fun!