Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston Post-Christmas Holiday Planning Help, Please.

Nov 4th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

The backstory. After all that...

DH and I took a break from unpacking and house-organizing on Saturday and thought a drive in the Smokey Mountains on a gorgeous autumn Saturday would be fun. Big mistake. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were traffic hellscapes, and we started to think about what the scene might be at Christmastime.

Back at home on that afternoon we scrapped all plans to hang out in Knoxville post-Christmas and I booked the best-reviewed remaining airbnb that met our criteria (doggo-friendly, close to beach and main street) for 26 December-1 January in Folly Beach, SC.

Given that two days will be absorbed with driving from/to Knoxville, we will have five full days to enjoy a sample of Low Country. Thanks to the many suggestions on the aforementioned thread I can start hashing out an itinerary, but I have two early questions:

1. Where to go for a celebratory meal in either Charleston or Folly Beach, preferably where seafood and vegetarian (if not vegan) options will be available? All budgets are fair game; great atmosphere/setting should be a priority.
2. What would be your top two day outings during this week? Our group includes DH and myself; and the three adult "children," DD (18), DS, and DS's longtime GF (both 23). Our interests are varied and we enjoy just about everything we see and do.

Thank you, in advance.
Nov 4th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Not 2, but several places I enjoyed very much in Charleston several years ago, some in town & some not far outside. I loved the Charleston Tea Plantation, being a particular interest of mine but realize it may not be for everyone. The rest are historic houses, another particular interest of mine.

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/por...harleston-sc-1
Nov 4th, 2019, 09:11 PM

We enjoyed visiting Fort Moultrie. If you are a history buff, then it is fascinating. In addition, the views are great from there. I did not enjoy our visit to Fort Sumter as much, because the boat ride over seemed too crowded. On the same day we visited Fort Moultrie, we went to the Charles Pinckney National Historic Site. Pinckney was a signer of the Constitution, and his farm and historic house have been preserved. If you start early in the morning, you can do both on the same day, but you need a car.

I also found a self-guided walking tour online of Charleston, and we enjoyed that. The architecture in the city is amazing. We also enjoyed watching the sunset at the end of our walking tour.
Nov 5th, 2019, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

MmePerdu, thank you for the blog link and the suggestion of the Tea Plantation. DS's GF and I are tea drinkers so I'm adding this to the list.

CaliforniaLady, thank you for describing your fort experiences. We'll have one car (and possibly two if we decide we want/need more space), so driving around won't be an issue. I've noted a couple of self-guided walking tours, as well. My camera and I are going to be very happy in Charleston!
Nov 5th, 2019, 04:17 PM

Four to travel— Offering a differing opinion—I personally loved the day trip I did to Fort Sumter. That day the dolphins were playing in the river, doing loop-shaped jumps and followed the boat, which was just magical. Seeing the history of Fort Sumter first hand was fascinating to me and i thought the National Park Service did a great job. Not to mention that it’s in a beautiful setting where the Ashley and Cooper rivers meet the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe it depends on the day?

Like Mme Perdu, I enjoyed the historic homes and appreciated the pictures of the preserved Aiken-Rhett house as it brought back memories. (Thank you mmeperdu!) I would recommend both that home and the Nathaniel Russell Home (which has been restored) while in Charleston.

Best wishes,

Daniel
Nov 5th, 2019, 06:44 PM

Daniel, the Aiken-Rhett House was by far my favorite of the ones I saw. It felt like going back in time rather than an approximation of history.
Nov 7th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Daniel, thank you for noting dolphins along the boat ride. I would have thought that in December they would be further south but upon researching the matter, it appears that some of them don't leave. History and dolphins!

MmePerdu, I learned that the Tea Plantation is dog-friendly. Even better. I also noted Drayton Hall, the "oldest unrestored plantation house in America," and it, too, welcomes dogs.