Charleston or Las Vegas?

Search

Charleston or Las Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston or Las Vegas?

If you had choice between Charleston and LV, which would you choose? Please choose only if you've been to both places. I know they are totally different, but just want ideas.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:05 AM

Now that's an interesting contrast!
Hmmm...
Annette Bening vs. Sandra Bernhard
Pierce Brosnan vs. Carrot Top
Chocolate Mousse vs. Twizzlers
Jaguar sedan vs. Suzuki motorcycle
Armani vs. Mervyn's

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:36 AM

I have never been to Las Vegas, and I can't imagine that I ever will. But I was in Charleston last September and I can't wait to go back. I went with a girlfriend and we stayed out on Isle of Palms on the beach. We did beach stuff during the day, swimming, surfing lessons, biking, and of course relaxing. We went into the city almost every night, and it was one of the best vacations I've been on. The food was fabulous, best restaurants of any city I've traveled in and that includes DC (I live outside of DC) and NYC. The streets stay busy late into the night with an open air market on weekends, music clubs, and gorgeous college boys to transport you around on bike taxis. I can't wait to go back with my husband.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:51 AM

I've only been to Charleston once but have been to Las Vegas several times. In a nutshell, if you love to gamble Las Vegas is great. If you don't, Charleston is a beautiful town and I think you'd prefer it to the glitzy (and tacky) atmosphere of Las Vegas.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

To: RWilliams
Do you mind if I put some Twizzlers in your trick or treat bag? Thanks for answering my question; it was very helpful. Now I know EXACTLY where to go on my next trip. That is interesting you made no mention of any hotels or sites at the destinations I mentioned.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:56 AM

I have been to both and enjoyed them in different ways. Charleston was historic and laid back. There are a lot of nice resturants and shopping. I really enjoyed Vegas too. I like to play Black Jack some but I never stay at the tables too long. Even if you do not gamble Las Vegas is worth seeing. Each hotel is bigger and better than the one before it. There is so much to see and do. The talking statues in Caesers Mall, the Pirate fight infront of treasure island, the light show down town etc.. It depends on what you are looking for. Both are worth going to at least once!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, audrey! Sounds like both are worth seeing at least once...
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:20 AM

In defense of Las Vegas:

Jaguar Sedan vs. Jaguar Sedan, Mercedes, Rolls Royce and Bentlys limited editions and hundreds of Limos

Armani vs. Armani, Channel, Prada, Gucci, and every other fashion designer in the world

The worlds richest not only visit LV but also live here. Although it does not have the beauty and history of Charleston it is a much better city to enjoy for excitement.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:40 AM

I think the point being made above with the comparisons is that Las Vegas lacks class and sophistication. It is glitzy, schlocky, excessive, shocking, loud and in your face.
Charleston is old world, elegant and classy by comparison.

They both appeal to certain types of people. After all, not everyone feels comfortable staying at a Four Seasons hotel, and some people will not consider economy lodging.

Vegas doesn't try to be classy. That's not it's angle.
It embraces tackiness and excess.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:57 AM

I would definitely go with Las Vegas. I've been there 4 times and liked it each time.

Even if you are not a gambler, there are so many other things to do. Just walking down the strip and seeing the amazing architecture of the hotels is very interesting. Las Vegas has countless numbers of excellent restaurants, ranging from inexpensive to expensive places that you would find in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles, for example. There's no shortage of fine and discount shopping.

Outside of the city you can visit Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, and the Valley of Fire.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:02 AM

Darn it, accidently pressed reply too early:

Some of my favorite things to do in Las Vegas OTHER than gambling:

See the dancing fountain at Bellagio
Have a coffee and pastry at Paris
Eat dinner at the Top of the World (revolving restaurant on the 108th floor of the Stratosphere)
Fremont Street Experience
Go to the seafood buffet at the Rio
Stroll through New York, New York
Among many others.....

http://www.vegas.com/
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:50 AM
dln

laplaya, these places are polar opposites of each other but I think it's great that you're interested in both. Many people who love Charleston would turn their noses up at Vegas, and vice versa! Where you eventually go will probably be determined by what you're in the mood for. Charleston is going to offer elegance; Vegas electricity. Both are fantastic things to go for. Sort of like the way some nights you want banana flambe for dessert and other nights you want banana cream pie. Easy as that.

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:35 AM
GoTravel

Elephants or Daisies?

I have been to both and it isn't even close. While I love Las Vegas, it cannot touch Charleston. Not even in the same league.

Stay downtown at the Wentworth Mansion, The Planters Inn, or Charleston Place. Dine at Poogans Porch, SNOB, Carolinas, and Magnolias.

Shop on King Street.

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I like elephants, daisies, Carrot Tops and Pierce Brosnan! So, I guess I'd like both places. Actually, I think Charleston fits my bill better...with a side trip to the beach!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:20 AM

Magnolias didn't live up to it's reputation, I would skip it in favor of several restaurants where I had much better meals. First is Anson, SNOB (Slightly North Of Broad) was fantastic. Atlanticville on one of the little islands was very good.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Which little island (for Atlanticville)?
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:40 AM

Sullivan's Island, Atlanticville is in a house with a porch for outdoor dining with lots of plants and twinkling lights,very nice ambience. You could combine it with a trip to the beach.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:14 AM

I'm from Charleston and I've never been to Vegas, but if you enjoy class without the neon, then Charleston is for you.

I don't know WHY Magnolia's is always the reputable restaurant of choice in Charleston for those who have never been there. There are so many places to dine that are heads and shoulders above Magnolia's that I don't think it should even be considered.

My restaurant picks for elegance and cuisine are High Cotton, Anson, Louis's Charleston Grill (in the Charleston Place Hotel) and for cheaper eats, Hank's Seafood.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:28 AM
GoTravel

I think Louis's is way past its prime.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Olivia - I'm glad there's somebody out there who recognizes Magnolia, Blossom, etc. for the mediocrity it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -