Reload this Page >

Charleston-can't decide!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:26 AM
deborahk

I am really torn about where to stay in Charleston this April. I am travling with my mother and want it to be special and convenient for us. I've looked into several places-among them, the French Quarter Inn, Harbourview Inn, Vendue Inn, Mills Inn and others. I've checked tripadvisor and hear differing reports. How do I decide?? What also makes it hard is that it seems to depend so much on what kind of room you get-it seems to vary so much even in the same hotel/inn. Any one want to guide me on this?
I'd like it to be very clean, of course, but also would love a light and airy room, nice courtyard for sitting and a balcony would be nice too. I just want a perfect place-I guess! Thanks.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM
deborahk

Any suggestions about which Charleston Inn I'd be happiest with: French Quarter, Harbour View Inn, or Mills House ? Thanks.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only stayed at The Mills House once and liked it very much.

I looked at the websites for the other two hotels and they both look fantastic. The Harbour View Inn looks like a very, very good location, between the Battery and Market Street. It's the only area of Charleston I didn't get there (it rained all day) but I'm sure it's a nice area.

My room at Mills House are dark without a balcony. I think the only rooms that open to the outside are adjacent to the pool and it's apparently the smoking floor.

I'd vote for Habour View mainly because it looks like a fantastic hotel in a perfect location.

Cherish your Mom... I lost mine recently and am happy I traveled with her. We took a tour of Charleston and loved it. You'll have a great time!
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Sorry about the mistakes in previous message...I got interrupted a few times. It should have read:

It's the only area of Charleston I didn't get to while there(it rained all day) but I'm sure it's a nice area.
&
My room at Mills House was dark without a balcony.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:45 PM
deborahk

Thanks for your input. She never went anywhere, and now I am planning trips for us. We've been to London, NYC, and now Washington DC, Charleston, and Savannah this spring. It is good to be reminded to cherish her-she's getting up there in years and traveling isn't always easy at this point-so your reminders are not taken lightly. Thank you.
I think I'll check into the Harbour View again.

Old Sep 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I have a Mother/Daughter weekend every year also. We went to Charleston in April last year. We stayed at the Vendue Inn. I had a tough time deciding also but went with the more historic Vendue Inn-we had a one bedroom suite with old windows, canopy bed, etc. No balcony The breakfast was great, wine/cheese in the afternoon, rooftop restaurant. We liked it. The Haborview was just down the street and it looked nice-had balconies. Perfect location. Just a little too modern for my taste. (An aside: While we liked Charleston we found it a bit touristy. We spent the last two days of our trip on Jekyll Island at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. We LOVED that.) Have a great time!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM

since you mentioned your mother is getting up there, it is important to consider her mobility. My mother was in a wheelchair the last few years and we made the mistake of going to Key West and they were not handicap-friendly. We also took her to New Orleans, but that was for her to show us around her "hometown". While the sidewalks weren't very good, they were passable. She didn't mind much because it was her chance to see her old stomping grounds from her teenage/college years. It was a wonderful vacation and my brothers joined us. I'm so glad we went through all the trouble of taking her on trips. They are wonderful memories! Take as many vacations with your Mother as you can. If she can walk fairly well, you'll love Charleston and Savannah. Jekyll Island is lovely, too.

A safety note for the Riverside area of Savannah.... watch out for the seating areas off the walkway. My mother thought it was a step and it was the depth of about 2-3 steps. She fell about 5 feet down and was quite banged up, hopefully, nothing was broken except for her glasses. Maybe they have installed a rail around them by now, but to this day, I still get shivers when I think of seeing her fall like that. I was too far away to catch her. It still makes my heart race when I remember it. The cobblestones might be difficult to walk on in areas if she doesn't have good footing. But if you don't want to go to the riverside area, there are plenty of other things to do in Savannah, like take tours.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM

I can't compare the various hotels, but we stayed in the Harbourview Inn this summer and loved it. Only the top floor rooms (new side) have a balcony, but the hotel has a roof top with tables and seats - not lounging seats -- that you can utlize. They have a nice continental breakfast served either in your room or on the roof top deck, iced tea in the lobby all day, and cookies and milk in the evening. Very good location -- get a water view room in the new section.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Loved the rooms at the Vendue Inn but it's way too noisy. The rooms in the original inn vibrate from the popular rooftop bar and the newer rooms across the street are near a parking garage that revs up when the bars close. Ear plugs helped but really made us feel like old farts!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM

I had a fabulous time in Charleston with my daughter 2 years ago. We stayed at French Quarter Inn. I have seen others you mention from outside only, but I can tell you about FQI.
It is in a great location,walking distance to many great restaurants and shopping . The hotel is lovely. It did not have a balcony, and I don't recall if they had them at all or not. The service and ambiance is great. They have set up refreshments (juices, coffee, tea , nibbles , cookies - that type of things) in lobby area, and also on each floor ! As I recall, 24 hrs. a day. In PM they served wine, cheese and nibbles in the lobby . It was very nice. We ordered breakfast served in the room, and it was "continental", but with ample and tasty choices. We liked it very much and I have been "plotting" to return there with my husband. Charleston's historic area is perfect for walking around. My daughter also had engaged a private tour guide, and we drove to a plantation etc. one day.
I am so glad you are doing this with your Mom. My daughter likes to take me on Mother-Daughter trips, and I appreciate the time spent together.We both enjoy and treasure those times.
Have a good trip !
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 09:01 AM
deborahk

Those of you who have stayed at the French Quarter Inn in Charelston-do you recall what type of room you had and what area your window faced? I know rooms can vary so much within one hotel. Thank you.

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I really do not recall which way the windows faced. I think towards the street it fronts, but it was very quiet. It is a small side street. We had a double room with 2 beds. My daughter took care of all the details, but it was not the higher priced ones. I recall a balcony off the floor, the public hallway/lobby , enough to stand on and take a look. The hotel may have rooms with balconies, just that ours did not. It is a small hotel, 25 rooms ? You could call FQI direct to get details. We loved it. It is a very attractive place, but all depends what you're looking for.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM

You can't go wrong with any of these. I like Harbourview for several reasons. The location is great. You can walk to many places plus the bus stops right in front of it.(this is the bus that takes you around the historic area). The ambience was wonderful. I felt safe. And the beds were grand. I even found out where the beds were made and considered ordering one. Again, all your options are good. The Inn is only a few years old. Vendue Inn is quite old. I don't know about the others. Does that make a difference to you?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM
deborahk

I think I'll go with either the Harbourview Inn or French Q. and see what kind of rate I come up with. Thanks for all of your help. It's so hard to know sometimes and the right place can make or break a trip for me. Sad, but true.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Hi Deborah:

I live in Charleston and work right across the street from the FQ Inn. I have seen the rooms, etc at both the Harborview and the French Quarter and I would personally go with the latter. Both are great choices, but the FQ just seems to have something special. It's a fairly new hotel and the owners really seem to have put some thought and money into the place.
Would be happy to answer any more questions you have,
Lori
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:48 AM

averyglenn, what do you think about location of the Renaissance Hotel? We would like to stay there in the begining of November for our first very brief visit to Charleston. Thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM
deborahk

averygleen-well you seem just the person to know about these two places. I currently have reservations at both and need to decide between the two. It's a hard choice-do you think I'd be happy with the standard room at the FQI or would I need to pay out a bit more for something nicer. Do you recall what you stayed in? Can you tell me more about outdoor patio at FQI-I believe I read they had one? Details about the breakfast at both might help me decide too. Bathrooms?
Just all the little details that you have time to tell me. Thanks so much!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:20 AM
GoTravel

The Renaissance is a little out of the way location wise.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Hi Wildflower:

The Renaissance is not as central as the French Quarter Inn, but it is only a few blocks north of the Market. You will be very well situated; Charleston is not a big city, so it is very easy to walk anywhere. You will be near King St. which has lots of good restaurants, antique shops, etc.

Enjoy your stay in Charleston,
Lori
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:45 AM

The bathroom in our FQInn was huge, compared to what usually is available in hotels. Breakfast was served with juice, many choices of rolls, croissants and whatever. I don't remember it all, but it was served on a beautiful tray, complete with fresh flower(s). Also the hotel provides your choice of pillows - do you like soft, medium, hard, down ....etc.? We did order diff. pillows, and they were brought promptly. Also "turn-down" service in evening with the usual pcs. of candy. The room also had an iron& ironiing board .