Charleston and Savannah Restaurant Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Charleston and Savannah in late September. The trip will include two nights in Charleston and two nights in Savannah.

Fodorites: Please suggest your favorite restaurants in these cities for lunch and for dinner.

I would especially like to know about Jestines' in Charleston.

Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:48 PM

You might want to check out the following review on Jestine's.

http://www.dixiedining.com/feature/feature.htm

Charleston is just so full of wonderful restaurants that it's hard to recommend just one or two! We live on Isle of Palms and frequent The Boathouse at Breech Inlet for special occasions. The views are spectacular (make it there for sunset, but whenever I have a large group in town I like to head out to 82 Queen (downtown Charleston). The twinkling lights in the courtyard at night add such ambiance to really good food.

Have fun!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Jestine's is great for local Southern food. Slightly North of Broad is fancier and always good. In Savannah you'll food similar to Jestine's served buffet-style at The Lady and Sons. Sapphire Grill is really good for dinner.There are so many other wonderful choices in both cities.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:12 PM

I dont think I've ever had a bad meal in Charleston and coming from New Orleans thats saying something
Charleston: I love 82 Queen, and its next door neighbor, Poogans Porch. Carolinas and The Library at the Vendue Inn.

Savannah: Lady and Sons is good, very casual and reservations a must. Savannah Bistro, Olde Pink House is very nice, Shrimp Factory on River st is casual and I think nicer than it used to be. You'll probably get many recomendations for Mrs Wilkes, who passed away earlier this year. I was in Savannah in mid March and the buzz was that the family wouldnt be continuing the restaurant and that the building is for sale.

If you can alter your time frame for a little later you can catch Charlestons fall tour of homes in mid October. Late September can be nice too, but its best to expect summer weather espescially in Savannah. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:52 AM
OliveOyl

jon-Eric, a friend just got back from a trip to Savannah. Mrs Wilkes is still closed, but according to her, they plan to reopen the end of this month. There have been a lot of mixed messages about this, but hopefully this one will proove to be true.

She mentioned another place that was there while we lived there but we'd never tried...17 Hundred 90. I've heard others recently say it was good too. Think with a limited schedule though, I'd still take Elizabeth's first, Pink House second.

We used to shop in Charleston, but rarely stayed the night so our restuarant experience there is limited. There is a far larger selection of really good restaurants (and shops gt;)in Charleston! We've enjoyed 82 Queen too, but our all time favorite for lunch, and the one we hit for each shopping excursion, was Magnolias. Yum...best creme brulet I've had outside the French Quarter. You truly do live in a "good eats" town. Had we continued living there I'd probably be a few sizes larger than I am! We could have eaten out every weekend and not run out of really good spots!

Oh yes...this was some time ago, when Louis Osteen was still there, but Charleston Grill was excellent too, but $$$$.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:57 AM

I agree with one post I love Carolina's and Magnolia'a - however on our last trip we were suprised to get our best meal at a small french restaurants at the Market called Mistrals- It was wonderful will return on our next trip. ( we go to Charleston often- one of my favorite cities.)
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM

You definitely need to go to Carolina's, it is excellent (it is in the market). I also love Mistral's. Poogan's Porch is great for brunch.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There may be better places in Charleston than Jestine's, but the combination of great food, funky atmosphere, reasonable prices and did I mention the food? is hard to beat.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:55 AM
GoTravel

OliveOyl, Louis Osteen is back in Pawleys and his food is as wonderful as ever.

For Charleston, my fave is Slightly North of Broad (SNOB), Magnolias, and Carolinas.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:57 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to mention, Chef Louis Osteen is up for the James Beard Award this year.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Hi Olive, I hope you're right about Mrs Wilkes re-opening as its a Savannah institution that I'd hate to see close. Hopefully we wont see a Cora Bett Thomas sign out front next time!
You know I'd heard great things about Skylars in the East Bay Inn and it was terrible! I was very surprised, but I guess mine was the exception not the norm since so many locals seemed to like it.

Louis Osteen.... Wasn't he at Ansons like 9 or 10 years ago? I thought that name sounded familiar because I'd ordered something and it wasn't what I thought it would be (my confusion no doubt) and he actually came out and apologized personally, nothing major but an issue of semantics or what have you, anyway I remember that name because that really impressed me. Oh, by the way I also recommend Ansons speaking of it. I also fondly, very fondly remember Million and Roberts of Charleston, but I cant remember if they're both closed now, or one is closed and one isnt or both were closed and now one is re opened etc...?
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM
OliveOyl

It is a Savannah tradition, Jon-Eric, even for locals. I hope they can keep it going. Cora Bett gets enough as it is...hopefully this one won't be another of her listings..

Everyone's idea of what is good is so different, but your experience at Skylars mirrors ours. I could never understand good reviews, let alone raves. I would never include it in any list of recommended restaurants.

I don't think Louis Osteen was ever at Ansons, but who knows. He left the Charleston Grill and began his own restaurant, Louis's, but it seems I heard that didn't make it and as GoTravel said, he's at Pawleys Island now. Isn't that where he started GoTravel?

Elizabeth, of Elizabeth's on 37th was also a James Beard recipient. Couldn't recall which award precisely so looked it up just now....James Beard - 1995 Perrier Jouet Best American Chef: Southeast. We didn't eat there our last visit, but hopefully she's still going strong. Nice couple...her husband was a NYC atty, but now her "bookeeper". I guess she makes pretty decent bread! gt;

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Just got back from Savannah. Loved the River House Restuarant and Bakery right on River Street. It was casually elegant. Try the Distillary Punch and you have to have the White Chocolate Cocunut Cream pie.
Also like Lady and Sons on Sunday for the buffet. Lots of Southern Style home cooked food. Can't go wrong for $12.99.
If you make it to Tybee Island try the North Beach Grill for the absolute best crab cake sandwich I have ever eaten. Nothing fancy here as far as atmosphere.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Jon_Eric, I do believe Million closed quite some time ago. Robert's was closed for a few years. He then led small travel groups on cooking tours around Italy, but since has re-opened a very small fixed price "Robert's" on East Bay Street (just East of the Market). Oh, how I wish I could afford to eat out more in this wonderful city!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 12:09 AM

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned the Planters Inn Restaurant in Charleston. It was the best meal we had while visiting there. They also serve a great Planters Punch. Also, I second Magnolias for lunch and Poogan's Porch for lunch. Jestines is actually okay, but the atmosphere is lacking....wooden chairs on a tile floor- I felt like I was back in retro 50's. There is a great candy store about 20 yards down from the Planter's Inn (Riverside's I think is the name) and they have the BEST Pralines I've ever had. They give out free samples constantly.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 03:33 PM
GoTravel

OliveOyl, I believe Pawleys is where Louis Osteen got his start. I think it was called The Pawleys Island Inn.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Charleston was Poogan's Porch. We went for lunch and had to go back for dinner the next night. In Savannah, we really enjoyed the buffet at The Lady and Sons. We also had an outstanding meal at Elizabeth on 37th.