Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Changed Hawaii plans -- need suggestions for new plan! (Oahu and Big Island)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
My husband and I are returning to Hawaii for our 2nd trip in August (1st anniversary). Our original plan was 5 nights at Outrigger Waikiki and 8 nights on Kauai. We honeymooned in Hawaii last summer, and Kauai is the only island we haven't visited (although we only spent 2 nights on Oahu last time). This week, we decided to change our plans, due in part to finances. The resorts on Kauai are just so expensive compared to those on the BI! So, we have decided to return to the Big Island instead, and save Kauai for 2 summers from now (2007), possibly paired with Maui.

Our current plan for hotels is 6 nights Oahu, and 7 nights BI:
4 nights Outrigger Waikiki
2 nights J.W. Marriott Ihilani
2 nights Hilton Waikoloa
5 nights Fairmont Orchid
We have stayed at the Outrigger before, but any other comments on our other hotel choices would be much appreciated!

We only spent 4 nights on the BI last summer, and looking forward to having a full week there. We definitely want to hit VNP again, but I was wondering about some of the other activities there. Some of the things we are interested in are:
*Snorkeling cruise to Captain Cook
*Manta Ray Night Dive/Snorkel
*Horse-back riding in Waipaio Valley
*Seeing the stars at Mauna Kea Summit
*Dolphin Quest at Hilton
What companies would you recommend for each of these? We were on the go a lot for our last Hawaii trip, so we want to relax more this trip, so we'd like to keep it to a couple of activities.

On Oahu, we'd like to visit Hanauma Bay and some beaches (North Shore, Lanakai, etc...) because BI is not known for its white sand beaches. Which would you all recommend? We were on Waikiki briefly last summer, but only went to Pearl Harbor and enjoyed Waikiki itself, but are looking forward to exploring Oahu more in-depth this time around.

Any suggestions or help would be great! Everyone was so helpful for our last trip, and I'm sure I'll have more specific questions once we get a bit closer
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Do keep an eye out on luxurylink.com, sometimes they offer 5 night packages for the Orchid. In order to save money, you may want to try Priceline for the other 2 BI nights. I have seen winning bids for the Hilton as low as $125/nt. Alternatively you may win the Hapuna Beach Prince for a little more $$, also a very nice hotel. You can see a list of winning bids at biddingfortravel.com.

The Ihilani is another Priceline hotel, but there have been no reported bids of success yet. Since the hotel is doing so well I'm guessing it may take over $200 for success, you may want to give that a shot too if you are looking to save some $$.

Haven't done any of the activities you've mentioned but I would like to try the Mauna Kea sightseeing, will prbably do that when we return to the BI in Sept.

I would consider Hanauma and the coastal drive a must, and be sure to bring a camera

Also you may want to consider a drive to the northwest coast of the Big Island, it is very scenic and lush. I am embarassed to say I've never done the volcanos yet....will do this fall. Please post back if you go!

I hope this helps! Your trip sounds wonderful
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Travelinwifey: Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I will check out luxury link. The package we have through the Fairmont Orchid now is 5th night free, breakfast for 2 each morning included. It comes to about $1350 (before taxes).

I thought about Priceline for the Hilton, but I know there is also a possibilty we could get Hapuna. We stayed at Hapuna and Marriott Waikoloa last summer, so were hoping for something new.

How long/far is the Hanuama Coast drive around the BI? I have heard people mention this before -- what is it like?

And I can't recommend the volcano enough, it was glorious last summer, and was one of the reasons we decided to do the BI again this summer! Are you headed to just the BI in the summer, or will you be visiting other islands as well?

I will make sure to post a trip report when we return, which will be just in time for your trip! Thanks again
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Hi Beachgirl, I can't remember exactly what the Orchid price was but I remember it was a room on the gold level, and when I priced it through Orchid direct it was about the same price as a standard room. I haven't seen the auction in over 2 months, there's no way of predicting when it will turn up again I guess.

Re: the Hilton on Priceline, it would be a bit of a gamble, but a relatively safe gamble. I don't remember ever seeing the Hapuna turn up at a lower rate than the Hilton, if you are willing to roll the dice I wouldn't go higher than 120-130 in order to try to avoid the other property. Also you can match up the icons on Hotwire, just to get an idea of inventory though of course that's not 100% either.

The thing I like about the west coast of Hawaii driving up to the north is the rolling green hills. There are a lot of yellow greens and emerald greens too, unlike those of the other islands that I have seen so far. And it does get a little cool up there, you may want to bring a jacket if you want to try the drive. We traveled for about an hour to a little town (can't rem. the name) and turned around.

You are so lucky you got to see the volcano. When we were on the BI last the west coast drive was our big trip. So the volcanos will be our next adventure, and yes, please be sure to post a trip report

We will only do the Big Island this time. It will be really nice to hear your comments about the several hotels and your reviews.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:53 AM

If you really want to go to Kauai, here are a few deals: You can buy 'elite stay certificates' for the Hyatt on Poipu Beach for $249 per night. That's still not cheap, but it's a lot better than their regular rates. That is one of the nicest hotels we've ever visited.

Also, if you joint Marriott Rewards, you can get a rate of $239 per night. We've never stayed there before, but we'll be there in June.

I'm not trying to change your mind about BI vs Kauai, but I just wanted to know that there are some better deals on Kauai than it first seems.
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Re the manta ray night dive, Jack's Diving Locker is an always highly recommended operator. I don't think they offer this every night of the week, so you'll have to check with them to be sure.

Reservations for Dolphin Quest at the Waikoloa are done through the hotel. Since the number of people that can participate daily is very limited, you may not be able to do it. The last few times we stayed there, if you wanted to try and get reservations, at check in you submitted your entry request and they picked the submitted entries at random daily.

As far as beaches, the Ihilani has some very nice man made little coves - all have a nice beach and are very flat and calm.

Hanauma Bay is nice if you want to snorkel, but I think too much of an effort to get there early for parking if you just want a nice beach to lay out on.

My favorite beach is Lanikai. The North Shore has very nice beaches and some good snorkeling spots also. In August, best to go during a weekday. Otherwise, get there early. Parking at certain spots is very limited.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions

We are really looking forward to our trip, and are excited for Oahu and the BI. Samsaf, those are a great deal for the Hyatt Kauai -- I will definitely keep that in mind for our summer 2007 trip! Is that how you booked your stay there?

Any other tips between now and the beginning of Aug. would be welcome!
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Since Dolphin Quest at the Hilton is hard to get into, you may want to consider doing Dolphin Quest in Oahu instead at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Travelingwifey: I meant to ask you this before...I noticed on another post from a few months ago on the BI that you talked about a dolphin excurion you took where you were lucky enough to see the babies...do you remember what that excursion was?
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:45 PM

No, I'm so sorry. We did get to see baby dolphins twice though. The tiniest dolphins were when we did a dolpin excursion in Ko 'Olina next to the Marriott, these dolphins were so tiny they looked like little porcelin figurines. Tiny and perfect. We still have pictures, an experience we'll never forget.

The other one from the Big Island was several years ago and I'm sorry to say I don't remeber much about the name of the cruise company or even where we departed from, though it had to be somewhere near the southern area, not too far from the hotel. The babies were probably a few months old by then, a little smaller than half a full dophin's size, swimming next to the mother or father. And those guys looked like little stuffed animals. Again, so perfect and small they hardly seemed real
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:44 AM

On the BI do go to dinner at Roys. Its well worth it. Also consider a sunset dinner cruise on the Seasmoke which depars from the Marriot. Its catamarran once ownde by Marshall Dillon (James Arness) of Gunsmoke fame and in its prime once shattered the speed record in the Transpac race. Its alot of fun.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:05 AM

beachgirl,

Too bad you changed your plans. You would have loved Kaua`i.

-Bill
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Try a bed and breakfast. Some are located not far from Kona. Many are on coffe or macadamia nut plantations and have an abundance of fruit trees too. You are free to walk the grounds and will have breakfast around a big table with several interesting tourist who are glad to share their experiences. Rainbow Plantation , a coffee plantation in Captain Cook is wonderful. Very plain rooms, but the jungle like grounds,koi ponds,the animals and the passion fruit trees definitly make up for it. Truly experience Hawaii. We are planning to stay at Arja Farms on our next visit. Check them both out. The prices are good too.
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for continuing all the great suggestions, we are really excited about the trip.

Travelinwifey: Thanks for the info...those babies sound amazing!

Jacketwatch: Roy's is definitely on our list. We didn't go last time, and we don't have one here in Mass., and I've only heard good things about it.

iamq: We are disappointed about missing Kauai this time around, but it made more sense for us. But, we are planning a trip in 2007 to Kauai, and I have kept all your wonderful suggestions on the island

Old May 14th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Hi Beachgirl, saw you're trying PL for the BI on the other website. I wouldn't go any higher than the $157 listed as previously won (Hilton) out of fear of getting the Hapuna. Personally (just my .02) I wouldn't go over $155 but you never know. Also if you don't have success right now you may try bidding again closer to check in. I notice Hiltons sometimes release inventory closer to check in, but again, there's no way to predict that on Priceline.
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Just did a quick search on Hotwire, and the Hapuna is showing availiblity in the $194 range. One can generally bet that Hotwire is around $15-20 more (sometimes much more) than Priceline so I definitely wouldn't go too high as there's a good chance you will get the Hapuna.
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Travelinwifey: Thanks for the advice on Priceline

We used Hotwire last summer for the Maui Hyatt and rental cars, but I haven't been successful with Priceline yet. I wouldn't mind getting Hapuna, we stayed there last summer for 2 days and it was VERY nice, we were just hoping to try the Hilton this summer instead...part of the fun in Hawaii is all the fun resorts! So, I was thinking that I def. shouldn't go over around $155 because Hapuna seems to be coming up around $165 on PL right now, and Hilton is around $130-$145. I have a room reserved at the Hilton right now in case Priceline doesn't work out, but I am going to keep trying since their inventory always changes.

Where are you planning on staying on the BI for your trip in Sept., and how long are you staying? Is there anything you want me to report back on?
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Hi again We are splurging on the 4 Seasons this time, and waited almost all year to find dates where we didn't have to pay total rack rate, so we will be getting a breakfast included deal. I remember just a few years ago when the room rates were 25% less than they are now. My mouth is watering thinking about the apple stuffed french toast, the best I ever had. That's one of the main reasons we want to go back! Otherwise the Orchid would be the 2nd choice.

I'd like you to report back on everything Your itinerary sounds so nice, and spending 2 weeks on the islands has to be a wonderful experience I believe the Hilton has a dolphin encounter, if you do end up at that hotel I'd like to know how the set up looks. And a full trip report with activities would be really nice, icluding your restaurant review of Roy's if you dine there!
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM

BG86--Before I offer activites recommendations, hope you don't mind my asking why you're staying at two BI hotels that are so near each other? Have you considered dividing your trip between two different areas of the island? It IS a "BIG" Island, and you'd have more variety, and less driving time, if you did that. Sorry to hear you changed your mind and are missing Kauai. There ARE reasonably price options there. On the other hand, it's GREAT to have two years of anticipoation!! As others have said, do include Hyatt Kauai for part of your time in Kauai when you go.
Happy anniversary!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse: We LOVED the Kohala Coast area when we were on the BI last time, and also did the same thing by staying in 2 different hotels (Hapuna Prince and Marriott Waikoloa). We love trying out different hotels, and usually like to pick one that's more quiet and relaxing and one with a little more going on. We had walked through the Hilton a few times last year, and though it looked really fun, but didn't want to spend the whole week there, so we thought we'd split it up 2 nights there and 5 nights in a more elegant, relaxed settting. We really don't mind all the driving on the BI as there is so much unique and beautiful scenery. And you're right, there are def. reasonable accomodations on Kauai, but we are resort people, and wanted to do it up for our 1st anniversary. The Hyatt there will DEFINITELY be part of our plan for 2007, as we enjoyed the Hyatt in Maui and have heard the one in Kauai is even nicer.

Travelwifey: WOW -- the Four Seasons, I'm jealous! It is my dream to stay there someday -- it is so pricey! I definitely can't wait to hear all about it, that hotel just looks pheomonal and gets such wonderful reviews. We are planning on doing the Sand/Stars buffet there on the night of my birthday.
Glad to hear Orchid would be your second choice, out of the 4 places we are staying on Oahu and BI, I have to say I am looking forward to the Orchid the most. I am a teacher (no summer job!) and we have no kids, so we are lucky enough to be able the spend the 2 weeks 2 years in a row like this. Plus, it is a long flight for us from the East Coast. I will make sure to report back on everything Big Island

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -