Chaco Canyon

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:31 PM
sissi

Chaco Canyon

Is Chaco Canyon worth the long drive? Where do you stay to visit Chaco C.-Farmington or Gallup? Or are there small places closer to the park. Thanks.

Old May 19th, 2001, 03:30 AM
rqf

If interested in Indian ruins and Anasazi culture it is a worthwhile visit. But be advised the approaches and roads in the park are dirt and there could be problems if there is rain. Where to stay would be dependent upon where you will be coming from. If coming from north of the park Farmington would be the best bet; from the south Gallup.

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:37 PM
sissi

Thanks, I live in northern Colorado, have a 4 WD, and can drive in 4WD if it is not too horrid. We'll either becoming from Durango or from Santa Fe. Haven't decided yet. Are there small places between the north turn off, along #550 to Santa Fe? Or is it mostly desert country?

Old May 20th, 2001, 02:28 PM
any

any info

Old May 20th, 2001, 05:59 PM
rqf

Whatever you decide, Santa Fe or Durango, Farmington is your best bet. Some years back I drove from Santa Fe to Durango by heading north into Colorado and then west to Durango. Most of the ride was through mountains and I don't recall seeing many place to stay in NM or in Colorado. I would suggest that if you go to Durango it would probably be best to head to Farmington and then when finished with Chaco head for SAnta Fe. If you haven't visited Mesa Verde I would certianly visit that park and then head for Farmington from Cortez. I have stayed in Durango and Cortez both - I much prefer Cortez.

Old May 21st, 2001, 12:43 PM
sissi

Thanks.