Search

Central Coast of Maine in August

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central Coast of Maine in August

Hi there,

I just booked tickets into Bangor for a week in August. I was thinking of splitting the time between Bar Harbor (or Southwest Harbor) and the Camden/Rockport area (4 nights/3 nights). Is that a good idea? Are there other/better places to stay?

We mostly want to hike around Acadia, maybe Kayak a bit, do a day's sail or whale watch tour, a little shopping, eat a lot of lobster, and enjoy the lovely scenery.

I have found the following options for places to stay - any feedback? My biggest requirements are a private balcony or terrace, a bathtub, and preferrably walking distance to restaurants although that's not a complete deal breaker if the location makes up for it.

Castlemaine Inn - Bar Harbor
Moorings Inn - SW Harbor
Kingsleigh B&B - SW Harbor
Ann's Point Inn - Bass Harbor
Inns @ Blackberry Common - Camden
Grand Harbor Inn - Camden

Any feedback or other suggestions would be great. Thanks as always.
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think that makes for a great trip. I much prefer SWHarbor to BarHarbor -- way less people and tourist trinket shops. Stayed several times quite a few years ago at SW Harbor at the Moorings. All the rooms are varied, so be sure to look carefully at their website. Great location in that its off to itself and very peaceful. I would not consider it walking distance into SW Harbor.(and we are big walkers) Parts of the road have minimal shoulder and no sidewalk so walking at night might be a problem. The Kingsley is in a great location, right in town itself. Don't know anything about it inside. We stayed at a small apartment right down the road so walked past it regularly last year.

I prefer Rockport to Camden -- again, Camden is way too crowded for me and way too many trinket shops. Last year we stayed a couple days at Berry Manor Inn - nice BnB. http://www.berrymanorinn.com/stay.html
Camden is an easy 20 or so minutes drive so you can easily visit it. Don't miss Waterman's for lobster. I think the best lobster place around and there are lots of them for sure. They also have great pie. Port Clyde is a cute little town and a nice drive from Rockport. U can take the ferry to Mohegan Island from there.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM

Spend at least part of a day in Portland. That town has grown and grown well.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Berry Manor Inn looks wonderful, but I don't think they have any private outdoor seating areas.

How far is Portland from the Camden area?
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Camden to Portland is probably close to 2 hours. There can be a lot of traffic on Rte 1 that can really slow you down. I like Portland a lot. You could do a day trip there from Camden and stop at all the little towns along the way. Explore Portland, eat dinner at one of its great restaurants and head back.

There is a place we stay, Coveside Inn in Georgetown, ME. Its a wonderful place. Its a little off the beaten path, further south from Camden. We stay upstairs in the Cottage and its just fabulous. The rooms in the Cottage all have private balconies, not sure about the rooms inthe Main House though. We've stayed there at least 5 times and its is our favorite place in Maine. It's about an hour South of Camden and perhaps a touch further from Bangor. check it out
http://www.covesidebandb.com
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blackberry Commons is a beautiful place but on busy Route 1 about a 7 minute walk to the oceanside. You might enjoy Grand Harbor more if the rooms have decks. Ledges by the Bay in Rockport is one to consider for the decks and amazing sunrise views, but not walking distance to much of anything.