Cathedral Hill Hotel - San Francisco

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathedral Hill Hotel - San Francisco

Has anyone stayed at the Cathedral Hill hotel recently? http://www.cathedralhillhotel.com/

They say that they have recently renovated but to my mind that could have been any time in the last ten years. Any thoughts on the area - it’s Van Ness Ave, Corner of Geary Blvd?

I’m interested I any input on the guest rooms.

I’m trying to arrange a meeting and the city that has been taken over by Oracle for the week – this is the only hotel that has availability for room and meeting space. It’s not a small group.

It just sounds a little too good to be true.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM

I like the location, good bus connection with most of the usual touristy places.

The hotel itself is kinda pushed off Van Ness, so shouldn't be noisy.

Tour buses, forgot what company, maybe Parlor Tours? leave from the hotel, and have an office there.

I don't remember when exactly they've renovated, maybe 3 years ago? Cosmos (budget) tours used this hotel, after renovation they've moved on, which is a good sign.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
SAB

The location is good for public transportation since Van Ness and Geary are two of the busiest transit streets in SF. It is a very urban location, there is nothing scenic, quaint or charming about it. It is on the edge of a seedy neighborhood to the SE, but it is also on the edge of a very nice neighborhood to the NW. It would not be my choice as a vacation base, but it is fine for a meeting/conference.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM

This hotel will always be known to long-time SF'ers under its old name, the Jack Tar. The property went through a big refurbishment around the time its name was changed, but I don't know anyone who has stayed there lately, so no first-hand knowledge. It looks like a very standard place along the lines of a Holiday Inn (there is, by the way, a Holiday Inn a little further north on Van Ness). The location is west of Union Square by a good 10 blocks or so. You are close to Japantown and Pacific Heights are far as walking distance, with good MUNI bus connections for other locales. The number 38 bus going east on O'Farrell would take you just about anyplace downtown, while the 49 and 47 buses going north would take you close to Ghiradelli Square and the Marina.

On a day to day basis, the corner of Geary and Van Ness is just a place to transfer between buses for me - no other reason to be there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM

Another plus - there is a large movie theater on Van Ness @ O'Farrell. In case your group gets really bored
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The hotel is considered out-of-the-way by most tourists, so that's why the rates are usually lower than comparable quality places in SF.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Fania,

All 200 of them

I think the local steakhouse will be more appropriate.

Thanks for the replies - we have someone going to scope it out tomorrow, this is a week long meeting so it does need to be a nice (ish) hotel.

There are NO reviews on Tripadvisor so perhaps it's just too 'middle of the road' people neither love it or hate it?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM

I haven't stayed there recently so I can't help much with current info. the only reason I'm commenting is your mention of a steakhouse. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is just up the street on Van Ness. Back in the glory days when my doctors would let me eat red meat, it was one of my "must stop" places when I was in The City.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since "this is the only hotel that has availability for room and meeting space" - I very much doubt you can do better.

The Cathedral Hill (still the Jack Tar for me too) is a middle of the road business class hotel in a convenient Location. If you meeting has to be at that time I recommend you book it - places fill up quickly.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Janisj,

I agree but it's not my decision to make - sigh! and thankfully if they do book this hotel I won't be on site to hear any complaints.

I wasn't at the last one I helped to organise either (Hilton Chicago) but at least that did get rave reviews from the attendees, especially the free firework show during the boatcruise that I did push for.

I feel this is going to be a damp squib in comparison - I just wish they'd change the date or the city. I can get the guest rooms at quite a few of the large hotels just not the meeting rooms.

Ah well, onwards and upwards
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM

Check the Queen Anne near Japantown. It's a small venue but does have meeting rooms.

And..does it have to be in SF? What about Berkeley or Emeryville?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM

In Berkeley consider the Doubletree at the Berkeley Marina or the Claremont.

Emeryville has a crop of places like the Woodfin Suites. Pixar is there now as are numerous IT companies.

Berkeley would be my first choice!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you PamSF

I did try the Doubletree Berkley Marina - they have no meeting room space but it does look like a wonderful location. I did lke the fact that straight from the start when I unput the dates and number of attendees they said they had no availability - most hotels have forwarded the mails and I have received a rejection 2/3 days later

I'm using www.sfcbv.org to reach out to local hotels.

I will research your other suggestions - I do like this board, especially this time of night when I'm on the east coast but in my insomniac mode
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Have you tried the Marriott in Oakland? It's adjacent to the Convention Center.