Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Catalina Isl. - Travel from Avalon to Two Harbors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My sig. other and myself are thinking about a weekend trip to Catalina and already have a gift certificate to a Hotel in Avalon but we would like to do some hiking near Two Harbors. I would like to know the easiest way to get from one to the other ... car? ferry? etc. and approximate time between the two. If we just stay one night, we would want to take the Catalina Express to Avalon, drop our bags and the hotel and then get to Two Harbors for some hiking and back to Avalon for the evening. How feasible is this plan?! Thanks in advance for any helpful advice,
Shannon
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM
TahitiTams

We always go to Catalina on the boat and we love Two Harbors/Isthmus..what a great place to hike and snorkel and a different vibe from Avalon..buffalo milks at the classic Harbor Reef..what a place to go in the summer..love this place!
I have taken the Shore Boat only once from Avalon to Two Harbors and I have taken the bus around the back side and that is really interesting..takes around 2-3 hours but loved it!
All the best..

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/t...sportation.php

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
lvk

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but FYI, I just read that Catalina Express Service from Long Beach has been suspended temporarily. They are doing some dredging in LB Harbor. I believe the LB boats are being transferred to San Pedro for the time being --through the end of Februay, I believe. More info at www.catalinaexpress.com
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks lvk. we will be taking the San Pedro ferry. it doesn't appear that getting from Avalon to Two Harbors and back in one day is feasible except by very expensive taxi. There is a Safari Bus connecting the two towns but I was told it only runs once per day which means you could get to Two Harbors from Avalon but not back. We are thinking of just doing some hiking outside of Avalon ... does anyone have any hike recommendations?