Reload this Page >

Casual New Orleans Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 01:44 PM
Scott

Any suggestions on casual attire restaurants in New Orleans?

Seems as though most of the recommended restaurants (Commanders, etc.) require suit/tie/jacket.

Thanks. Scott

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 03:20 AM
JoAnn

Mike Anderson's; Praline Connection (soul food & excellent) Acme Oyster House; The Gumbo shop; are a few that we ate in with out "dressing up." Friends when to Commanders and were disappointed in the meal and the portion size for the price. There are a lot of little places around that are what you are looking for in the French Quarter and the Garden District. Ask a local! They always know where the good, inexpensive places are.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:38 AM
Kim

Ditto on Acme. I can still taste the oyster poorboys. Also, go to one of the grocerys - one is called Central and I can't remember the name of the other but it is steps away - and have a muffaletta. Or better yet, have one at each place and compare to decide which you prefer. There are plenty of casual eateries in N.O. where the food is great - I don't think you can get a bad meal there.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:38 AM
Kim

Ditto on Acme. I can still taste the oyster poorboys. Also, go to one of the grocerys - one is called Central and I can't remember the name of the other but it is steps away - and have a muffaletta. Or better yet, have one at each place and compare to decide which you prefer. There are plenty of casual eateries in N.O. where the food is great - I don't think you can get a bad meal there.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Neither Bayona nor Nola require a jacket (though you may feel uncomfortable in jeans).

I'm usually hesitant to eat where coats and ties are required as I think the focus should be the food, not the cutomers' clothing.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:51 AM
Meg

Progesso is the name of the other grocery that has the muffalettas. Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse on Iberville is great and doesn't require coat and tie. Port O'Call on Esplanade which has incredible burgers is casual. We like to eat at the Clover Grill on the corner of Bourbon and Dumaine for breakfast - great waffles and omelets, good burgers as well - they are open 24 hours. Their sister restaurant, Poppy's Grill on St. Peter just across from Pat O'Brien's is also open round the clock. Bacco (on Chartres), Redfish Grill (on Bourbon, I think), and Mr. B's (on Royal maybe)are three of the Brennan restaurants in the Quarter that don't require coat and tie as far as I know. Don't forget to try Mother's on Poydras at Tchoupitoulas for incredible everything - Poboys, gumbo, beans & rice, breakfast - kind of expensive for a poboy ($11 or $12 for a shrimp poboy) but oh so good. We also head to Joey K's uptown on Magazine for good onion rings and beans and rice - simple family diner - nothing fancy about the place or the prices.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Meg

Progesso is the name of the other grocery that has the muffalettas. Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse on Iberville is great and doesn't require coat and tie. Port O'Call on Esplanade which has incredible burgers is casual. We like to eat at the Clover Grill on the corner of Bourbon and Dumaine for breakfast - great waffles and omelets, good burgers as well - they are open 24 hours. Their sister restaurant, Poppy's Grill on St. Peter just across from Pat O'Brien's is also open round the clock. Bacco (on Chartres), Redfish Grill (on Bourbon, I think), and Mr. B's (on Royal maybe)are three of the Brennan restaurants in the Quarter that don't require coat and tie as far as I know. Don't forget to try Mother's on Poydras at Tchoupitoulas for incredible everything - Poboys, gumbo, beans & rice, breakfast - kind of expensive for a poboy ($11 or $12 for a shrimp poboy) but oh so good. We also head to Joey K's uptown on Magazine for good onion rings and beans and rice - simple family diner - nothing fancy about the place or the prices.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:25 PM
Lois from New Orleans

Casual! The best romantic spot in the french quarter and my favorite restaurant in New Orleans for a local is
The court of Two Sisters on Royal or Bourbon. At night in there courtyard setting with that new chef Tom Weaver,
the Court of Two Sisters food has made
my friends and our out of town visitors
a must stop. Most people enjoy there daily live jazz Brunch. So many different kind of creole foods to taste.
By the way K-Pauls on Chartres in the french quarter is nice casual too. It's
more cajun food and The Court more Creole. Have fun, the city is great.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:53 PM
Harriett

We love Palace Cafe on Canal, just up from Marriott and Sheraton. It's a cousin to Commander's, but less pretentious and less expensive. And the white chocolate bread pudding is exquisite. Bon appetit!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 01:38 AM
judy

Irene's in the Quarter. Only open for dinner...and you need a reservation! Excellent!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 10:57 AM
lisa

I second the nomination for K Paul's. Spicy and delicious! Go at lunch -- there will be a line but it moves fast and it's worth it.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 08:40 AM
janice

Just got back last week from New Orleans. Great city! Praline Connection is good. We also went to Acme Oyster House more than once. The grocery Central has tremendous moufalattas. Have a great time!

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 06:30 AM
Dick

We just returned from a week in New Orleans visiting friends who live there and I've had many visits on business over the years. I've been to pretty much all of the "name" restaurants and most of the holes-in-the wall. My favorite (and I was just there last night) is one you never see mentioned - Maximo's on Decatur downriver across from the French Market. Wonderful Italian food with a great wine list, casual or dressy as you prefer, and none of the overcooked, oversauced, pretentious glop that permeates most of the other places in the Quarter.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 05:36 PM
lwood

A really great place for casual dining that has good, inexpensive seafood and red beans, etc. is Maspero's on Decatur St. just up river from Jackson Square. Eaten there many times and have never been disappointed yet (plus they have $1 strawberry daqs in the afternoon). A neat place.