Casa Del Mar vs Loews Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Santa Monica late May and are deciding between Casa Del Mar and Loews Hotel. Has anyone stayed there. Are they close to the Santa Monica pier. Is Casa Del Mar worth the extra cost. Also we are looking for a nice B&B in Cambria close to or on the beach. I will be traveling with my wife, daughter and mother-in-law (and believe it or not she is the least of the problem). Frank
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM
emd

I have stayed at both Casa Del Mar and Loews. Lowes is a little closer to the pier, but not much (a block closer is my guess- not far enough to make the decision based on that). They are both a short (15 min.) walk on the oceanfront walkway to the pier (the walkway takes longer to walk than you think it would, it sort of winds around a bit). Casa Del mar is in the old Pritikin Bldg. and is owned by the same people who own and run Shutters, the smaller boutique hotel next door. They did a great job of revovating the old bldg. It is sort of combined European/Mediteranian in atmosphere. The rooms are big and lovely, high ceilings, nice linens, jacuzzi tubs, and separate showers and marble in the bathroom, big windows looking over the ocean (or off to the side w/some ocean view- they probably have some that look elsewhere but I have only had oceanview). Unlike Shutters, they do not have balconies available. The dining is good at Casa, and I have had small personal and business dinners there even when not staying at the hotel. The lounge area is very nice and large and open, and the windows have a nice view of the beach and water. I got good service there. IMO, Loews is not as nice, it is a more run of the mill hotel, ok but not extra special in any way. I don't know what the price difference is, but if I could afford it I would go for Casa Del Mar, and try to get a room w/good ocean view. There are some that are premium oceanfront, and some w/ocean view where you are set back behind the pool, looking out over the pool in some fashion and then the beach and water.
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply and helpful info. Sounds like casa del mar is the one. I also booked rooms at cypress cove inn in cambria. any experience there? Thank's again, Frank
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
emd

No, I haven't been to that area. But I see that this is your first post, so will give you a bit of fodors advice. On Monday, repost a separate question on that w/a related title. It is quiet around here on weekends, and also people who have experience in Cambria will only answer this post if they also know something about Loews or Casa Del Mar, since that is the title of your current post.