Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carriage ride through Central Park or other surprise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to NYC the weekend of Feb. 18th to celebrate my sister's 60th Birthday. Her birthday is Saturday and we plan to go for dinner and we are planning on getting TKTS tickets for a show. This part she knows all about.

I would love to spring a special surprise on her during the day that's not very costly, just something unexpected. I think we are planning on going to Central Park as part of a plan on Saturday. I thought about if there is way to pre-arrange a carriage ride and somehow make it a special birthday surprise. There will be 6 of us so I doubt we would fit on a horse and carriage.

I am open to any suggestions of a thoughtful surprise, not including eating (have all meals planned), not including going to tops of any high rise buildings, but something sweet. Thank you so much.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM

What about lunch or a pre-theater drink at a roof top bar? Amazing views and great experience!

8-)
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM

I've never been in a hansom cab here, but
It will probably be pretty cold
You'll be covered up with blankets of indeterminate origin that have probably never been cleaned
You'd definitely need 2 carriages
They aren't cheap.

I realize that others have different opinions, but in my opinion it sounds pretty unpleasant. I understand the romantic idea of it, I just don't think the reality is like that anymore (if it ever was)
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

As I have been reading reviews of the carriage rides, it doesn't sound like such a good idea. People seems disappointed and ripped off. Hmm, any other suggestions? I know i said no food surprises, but now I am thinking about someplace to go near central park for a cup of hot beverage (organic teas/coffee or hot chocolate) and a sweet treat of some sort.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Afternoon tea at the Plaza, Ritz Carlton Central Park, the Mandarin Orientl are all at the south end of the park. Another idea is go up to Robert restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design. Amazing view. Carriage ride is not a good idea.

Why waste time at the TKTS booth when you can use disounts from broadwaybox.com at the box office in advance?
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I've always, since childhood, enjoyed watching the skaters at Rockefeller Center and drinking hot chocolate.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Several hotels nearby have swanky afternoon tea, but that would be expensive, I imagine you could just have a hot drink in the Plaza or the Pierre. What does your sister really like? No doubt there's something in NYC that would be special to her-- a tour of some lesser known spot, dessert at one of the museums (many have fine destinations restaurants these days). You could also just hire a car and driver for a couple hours--not super cheap, but divided by the number of people it might just be fun to be driven and dropped off somewhere for quick look, and then have your driver waiting to take you to the next spot. It really depends on how much money you're talking about,and the timing
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

jubilada, do you know if there is such a thing as an announcer that is at Rockefeller Center who could make a Happy Birthday announcement or somehow have the song played while skating?

mclaurie, I have thought about broadwaybox.com but we aren't too thrilled with the discounts offered. Kind of hoping for maybe Wicked tickets last minute at TKTS. The tea at the hotel idea is wonderful; I just don't know with all of the meals how we fit that in.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"Kind of hoping for maybe Wicked tickets last minute at TKTS."

Will not be happening.
Maybe for your return trip to celebrate her next milestone birthday, but not this one.
It's still at capacity in its 9th year on Broadway - with no signs of slowing down.

What about going up for the view at Top of the Rock? You can buy tickets for a particular time onine if you want.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

I mentioned in the post that I am not interested as an option going to the tops of any high buildings, but I am sure for many that's a terrific suggestion. I think I will make some calls today and see if what I asked jubilada can happen.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 04:28 AM

http://www.patinagroup.com/restauran...taurants_id=74
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM

Wicked tickets are never at the TKTS booth. The shows at the TKTS booths are typically the same as listed on broadwaybox. The only thing you might find at TKTS (but not likely on a weekend) is Jersey Boys. Here's what was there recently http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes mclaurie, I have been checking the TKTS site to see what shows are being sold and it looks like the same ones week after week. I agree about getting the tickets ahead of time on broadwaybox but I guess none of the discounted shows are overly exciting us.

I am still trying to come up with a surprise for my sister; I checked into the afternoon teas and it looks like it is $50 per person. Its just more than we are going to spend and we have very early dinner reservations. Any other ideas?
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Yes, spring for tickets for her for her birthday If there are 6 of you can you all pitch in and get her ticket and afford to get your own instead of planning something else? That would be a wonderful surprise imo - tickets to wicked!
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM

I agree about Wicked tickets

Another one of my favorite things to do is a foodsofny.com walking tour. You could sub it for one of your meal ideas.

Maybe jubilada knows more about the dynamics of the skating rink, but I don't see how the announcement would work. As far as I know, you stand to watch from up at street level. Even when they are doing an engagement on the ice, people on the street rarely can hear what's going on at rink level. We often stop for coffee or hot chocolate at Starbuck's at the food court and then sit for a while at the tables in front of the big window at rink level and watch the skaters - but you can't hear anything that's going on. My guess is that you have to be skating in order to 1) hear a birthday announcement or 2) for them to be willing to make a birthday announcement. Maybe y'all are planning to ice skate and I just missed that. If so, they would arrange it - maybe. Maybe for a fee. But for a random visitor? I don't think so.

You can have her birthday announcement put on the board - for $15 I think) at the M&M store. I think a kid would be excited by that. A 60 year old? Not so much...

You could splurge for a great drink - my favorite is a Lemon Drop martini - at the Marriott Marquis' revolving bar and sit, relax and enjoy the view. I have no idea if that conficts with the "high building" thing. You aren't at the edge, but in comfy chairs watching the view go by.

I think the best idea is Dawn's - real tickets to <green> Wicked.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM

I don't know more about it, it was just an add on OP had to my idea of watching skaters. Personally I would be mortified by a public announcement. i think the Wicked tickets are the best idea .
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

I did check with the rink and they don't do any announcements or special songs. There goes that idea. As far as Wicked tickets, next Saturday is when we will be there and there are only very expensive seats or in the rear mezz which I decided against a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I will look into discounts for a non musical.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Please reconsider the horse led carriage ride. There is much concern for New Yorkers and animal lovers regarding the treatment of these animals and work conditions.

New York City is so wonderfully interesting. Places abound that would interest and excite you. Museums, neighborhoods, stores, parks, beautiful city views, etc. etc. this list goes on and on.

But please don't fund and support a tourist trap that enslaves animals.

The suggestions here are wonderful, please consider them.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

aranda, no worries; I decided once I really looked into the horse led carriage rides and read the mistreatment of the horses and all of the other negatives, I decided we would definitely not do the rides.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM

I didn't check your dates, but how about brunch at the Central Park Boathouse? Brunch runs Sat. and Sunday, 9:30 to 4:00 or so. You can check specifics here:

http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.c...ions/about.htm

The setting is really beautiful any time of the year. I am sure they'd serve a small birthday cake if you wanted to call ahead and arrange that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -