Reload this Page >

Carolina beach recommendation please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Pam

Would appreciate any recommendations for beach vacation for several adults. Cannot stand Myrtle Beach and all that craziness. Would like (of course) relatively uncrowded beach and a beach with something left over even at high tide. OK if not a lot else to do. Also like to go for long walks on beach. Stayed at Edisto several years ago and was disappointed because you could not walk long distances easily due to rocks in many places. Oceanfront accomodations would be great but don't mind walking several blocks either. What is the beach at Ocracoke like? I know we would have to drive or bicycle to get to beach. Thanks for any help

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Arabella

There's an area south of Myrtle that is quiet and serene. Check out the Murrell's Inlet/Pawley's Island/Litchfield area.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Dottie

Do a search on Long Beach on Oak Island NC. You can rent oceanfront homes to accomodate small or large groups.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Jill

Pam,
Just planned a trip for July for NC coast ... just south of Carolina Beach ... staying in Kure Beach in a large condo complex ... Ocean Dunes. Do a search for "Carolina Beach rentals" and you'll get loads of realtors w/rental properties - condos and houses. Good Luck.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM
me

Hilton Head of course has miles of nice beaches. Try staying in Palmetto Dunes which 3 miles of private beach alone. They restored the beaches here a few years ago and now they are much wider and great for walks or riding bikes. Also..it is just a beustiful place with great florals and live oaks in Spring.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:04 AM
xxx

Check into Bald Head Island near Cape Fear. Last visit (a few years ago) we spent the entire day on the beach and did not see another person. It's a little pricey; but we loved it.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Tawhill

Ocracoke is very charming, very quiet. None of the cottages or B&Bs are on a beach -- that's the downside (you have to drive or walk) but 85% of the island is one long,uninhabited beach, with little places on the side of the road every so often where you can park. Not much to do after 9pm, although tere are a couple of bars. But this is where you go on LONG beach walks and don't see anyone. The little town is quaint, has some history and some funkiness. It's my favorite place.

By contrast, I can't abide Bald Head Island. It's like a Disney planned community for wealthy golfers. Sure, lots of beach, and quiet (no cars, only golf carts), but so manicured and plastic and new-money sterile! Only "Old Baldy" the lighthouse has any character at all.

Try Ocracoke.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 10:16 AM
byron

Emerald Isle, NC
The last island of the Outer Banks is a wonderful resort with a family atmosphere. Wonderful houses to rent with only 1 high rise condo and 1 motel. Lots of good seafood restaurants in nearby Swansboro, a fishing village that is very trendy now with cute shops. Wonderful family resort with wide open beaches and can walk for miles. We have pulled our family from all our homes across the US there for the last 20 years. It's definately family oriented and not overly commercialized like Mrytle Beach or upper crust golf like several others mentioned. About 2 hours drive from Raleigh,nc. Lots of rental companies on the internet.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Dick

Dear Bryon,

Please give me your secret for getting to the Outer Banks from Raleigh in 2 hours.

Better yet, what type of airplane do you fly?

Dick

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:08 PM
byron

Emerald Isle to Raleigh is 2 - 2and a half hours driving time taking I-40. It is not THE Outer Banks (as in Duck and Kitty Hawk) but the island is beneath Cape Lookout and geographically the last island in the chain.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:09 AM
dANNA

Native Carolinian who out-grew Myrtle Beach around age 20 recommends Folly Beach. Nice laid-back beach community, great for long walks, enjoy watching the surfers, prices less than Isle of Palms, and VERY short drive into Charleston.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Bec

Any of the beaches near Charleston would be great! Isle of Palms or just south of that the less built up Sullivan's Island are both wonderful & have MANY houses for rent on the beach as well as a few blocks away. You can also say on the other side of the island where you are still on the water but not the ocean side - many of these houses have docks which you can tie up a boat or fish from (also you can put out a crab trap which is always fun!) There are also condos and Wild Dunes (gated community & golf course, etc) on the North end of Isle of Palms.

I also second the recomendation about beaches south of Myrtle Beach - Garden City/Surfside/Murlles Inlet & the classic Pawley's Island as well as the "newer" Debidue (sp?) or Litchfield!