Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel - Sunset Center for concert - dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to a concert next weekend at the Sunset Center in Carmel. Looking for suggestion for dinner. Maybe someplace we can park once and do dinner and then the concert. We don't mind walking. We'll have 13 year old daughter with us so looking for casual and not too too expensive (if that's possible in Carmel!)
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:04 AM

Parking ia always an issue in Carmel -- just grab the first spot you see and be thankful.

As for moderately-priced dinner close to the Sunset Center, we had two favorites: Tutto Mondo (rustic Italian) and Village Corner (Mediterranean). Yum!
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:11 PM

Piatti is another good restaurant that's not too far from the Sunset Center. We head there during the Bach Festival and like it quite a lot.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:17 PM

CASANOVA is the place to go. One of the best places in Carmel with great European ambiance. Try it. It may cost a tad more, but your daughter will enjoy the experience.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM

ditto for casanova. Just ate there last week and it was the best. try to get Rob for your server. FPK
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:15 AM

Casanova is wondeful but I wouldn't call it casual or inexpensive.
My family just went to a concert at the Sunset Center and we had a great meal at the Forge in the Forest. It's located one block up from Casanova (I think). It's very casual but very nice. They have indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor seating is clustered around fireplaces in a garden. The menu has everything from scampi to pizza and they have really good desserts. You can check out their menu online if you do a search. They even allow dogs in their own doggie section.
We parked on the street right by the Center and then walked to dinner, but the Center also has a lot if you can't find street parking.
I suggest reservations if you're coming on a weekend. Have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, too, viamar. When I lived in Carmel, the Forge in the Forest was one of our regular hangouts, because of its good food, quaint outdoor garden patio and fireplaces. If it's really chilly, the forge is warm and cozy inside. Most of all, it's easy, friendly and fun, which I think your daughter would like alot. A Carmel classic. SW corner of 5th and Junipero.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:35 AM

Hi Winerycat! What's good to order at the Forge in the Forest? We've enjoyed Anton & Michel, Portabella, the Rio Grill and also the Village Corner in Carmel.

A few years ago I was treated to a dinner at La Boheme by a girlfriend whose MIL has a second home in Carmel. I remember it was also very good. ***kim***

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM

Kim, I like their soups, especially their French Onion with the cheese baked on top, and their salads are really good too. Oftentimes that and a glass of good local wine will do the trick for me. The grilled salmon is always tasty and recently I've had their delicious pork loin served with a spicy chutney--very good. My husband loves their pork ribs and pastrami sandwich! There are some nice local wines available--check out the beautiful bar inside the forge, maybe have an after-dinner drink in front of the fire. A nice place to relax.

Haven't eaten at LaBoheme for YEARS, but I remember it fondly. Anton & Michel, also been a while, but we used to love it. I heard their chef left to open up his own little place in Pacific Grove, called Max's Grill--supposed to be really good. It's high on my list.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM

Forge in the Forest sounds very nice. Lovetotravel2, I would take Winerycat's advice. I'll also add this place to my list for Carmel next time.

We also used to love The Flying Fish Grill located right in the plaza. It was a tough choice between Roy's and the FFG last time we were in Carmel, and we chose Roy's which is always wonderful. ***kim***
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM

My favorite dish at the Forge in the Forest is the sand dab sandwich, but for over a month now the sand dabs in the Bay just disappeared, so no more sand dab sandwich. The french onion soup is great, so are the sandwiches and the Cobb salad, but it's HUGE.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM

I love sand dabs, Viamar! I checked the Forge in the Forest website & sure enough, there was a sand dab sandwich. I have enjoyed the sand dabs as an entree at Domenico's and Cafe Fina on the wharf but have not seen them served in a sandwich before.

Why have they disappeared? I wonder how long that is going to last? www.forgeintheforest.com is the website for you to check out Lovetotravel2!!! ***kim***
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! You guys are the BEST!
Forge in the Forest sounds perfect and I'll try to report back next week. Cheers!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM

Can I come with you, lovetotravel2? LOL Oh, I'll be in Portland, OR on my way to the Oregon Coast!! Have a wonderful time in Carmel and I hope you enjoy the Forge!!! Carmel is gorgeous, make sure you take your daughter down to the ocean. ***kim***
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We're back and just wanted to report that the Forge in the Forest was the PERFECT dinner place for us! We sat outside and it was beautiful and we loved all the dogs that came to dinner too! It was walking distance to the Sunset Center which was great. This morning we had breakfast at First Awakenings in Pacific Grove. Great breakfast! Thanks for all the help. By the way, we got the Hilton in Monterey on Priceline for 50 bucks! Not bad for a Saturday night in June.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Wow, I just logged on and saw your thread, what timing! I'm glad your family enjoyed the Forge. What I like about is that it has something for everyone and the atmosphere is so nice. Glad you had a nice time.