Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel,SF,Yosemite trip with large family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking mom to Cali to celebrate her 70th. We are 6 adults and 5 kids between the ages of 5-10. We're thinking Carmel\Big Sur for 3 nights, SF for 2 nights and Yosemite for 2 nights.
Does anyone have good suggestions for places to stay? One option I'm considering is VRBO homes but would prefer to stay in a resort if we can find one that maybe has large units. Any resorts with 3 bedroom units?
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Lodging Will be tough to find at this late of date for Yosemite. With a small group you could find cancellations, but I would think a large group would be much harder. You need to make Yosemite reservations 1 year in advance, to really get what you want. I would think you would be able to find something for the coast though.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM

You should definitely look into Yosemite West. It's inside the park but not in the valley. Still well located.

http://www.yosemitewest.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM

When is your trip? You can often get cancellations at Yosemite Lodge, but it looks as you probably need 3 rooms, so that might not work. If you do go the VRBO route, make sure to ask how many miles it is from the house to Yosemite Valley and how long it takes to get there. We have a VRBO rental considered in the general area of Yosemite but 3 hours away. You need some place no more than 30-40 minutes. You might be able to get a tent cabin in Curry Village in Yosemite Valley. Do not stay any where near Merced as that is too far & too dull.
Btw, it is almost a full day drive from Yosemite to San Francisco and most of a day from Carmel/Monterey to Yosemite. Nice to see it all, but kind of a lot of driving...
In Carmel/Monterey area, we prefer Pacific Grove and like to stay at Asilomar State Conference grounds designed by Julia Morgan. You might be able to find a really nice VRBO rental there that would allow you to do some of your own meals & save some money.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:59 AM

>>

Driving straight through, it's only 3-1/2 to 4 hours from san francisco to Yosemite.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM

We drove from Yosemite to Monterey and it didn't take us a day to do the drive. It was like 3.5 hours since we left from the Mariposa Grove at the south entrance. If you leave form Yosemite Valley it's only an extra 30 minutes so still no big deal.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM

We stayed her (Yosemite West)when we got married in Yosemite. Nice place, decent price. Loved the deck!

http://www.vrbo.com/83769

In Big Sur, I liked this place but not sure if they have big accomodations. The [mongolian] huts are near each other though. Nice open space and the views are great!

http://treebonesresort.com/

Glenoaks in Big Sur is also nice and the rooms are right next to each other.

http://www.glenoaksbigsur.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Oh, and the vrbo I recommended (in Yosemite West) is about a 30-40 min drive to yosemite valley
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:16 AM

yes, 3.5 hours (without traffic) from San Francisco. If you hit traffic, that's another story...but not a whole day.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM

"One option I'm considering is VRBO homes but would prefer to stay in a resort if we can find one that maybe has large units. Any resorts with 3 bedroom units"

VRBO is probably your best bet. SF and Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur aren't really places were you find the condo resorts with large units. You will find mostly hotels and motels and then individually-owned homes.

There is one that I can think of, Pajaro Dunes, that might met your needs, although the location isn't the most convenient. It be about half way between Santa Cruz and Monterey, so you will have roughly a half hour drive to get to where you want to be.

http://www.pajarodunes.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM

Oh geez - I meant "it IS about half way..." I do know proper English, I promise
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I just realized I forgot to mention that the trip is in mid April. So that probably rules out the tent cabins. I'll check out Yosemite west. For Carmel, I was thinking condo at Carmel Valley Ranch or a VRBO house. For SF does anyone have ideas in Mill Valley?
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 06:33 PM

You will most likely have to hike to Maripossa Grove in April. The road will likely be closed still(could be open, but not likely). Tioga Road will most likely be closed too. Glacier Point Road will most likely be closed.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Mill Valley is a suburb - there aren't many options for staying overnight. Are you visiting someone there? If not, how did you choose that location for spending the night?
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

sorry I guess I meant marin county. I was thinking of renting a house in sausalito or in the Mt tam area. I thought that could give us access to SF and also access to the attractions there (ie. muir woods, mt tam, stinson beach, pt reyes). Given that we are 11 people, I also thought we'd have an easier time finding a house that could fit us. Would our only options be hotels in SF??
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Also, any thoughts on trying to fit in Yosemite on this trip? Good chance this is Mom's only trip to that area. We're east coasters and she doesn't get on an airplane much. I'd like to show her as much as I can.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 06:00 AM

If you can find a house in Sausalito or the Mt. Tam area - or anywhere in Marin county for that matter - go for it.

From there - you could drive to Yosemite (Over the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge and not have to fight traffic going back into/through SF) - and then take the "back" way from Yosemite - over to Carmel/Monterrey (again avoiding most of the heavy bay area traffic) - maybe 4 hours - and from Carmel back to SF - it's 3 hours or so.

All very doable half day jaunts.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I agree with that - for 11 people, if you can find a house you like, do it.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:17 PM

We have stayed at Hummingbird Raven House in Yosemite West. It is large enough for all of you, with 3 bdr ( one with 4 bunk beds) and a den with sofa bed. Only one full bath, but another half-bath is in the master suite. Mthe living-dining area is large. Availability calendar shows itis open aloof April. VRBO #94764.