Carmel/Big Sur

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmel/Big Sur

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to the SF area in late June/early July for about 10 days. Most of our time will be in Sonoma/Napa, but we also want to spend some time in the Carmel/Big Sur area. We are unsure as to how much time is enough for the Carmel area. We were thinking three nights. Is that too much or not enough?? We simply want to enjoy this sights of the area.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:40 AM

this is a non-answerable question--i think--carmel is primarily a shopping town--although the beach is pretty spectacular. Some enjoy the aquarium in monterey, and the mission in carmel. I enjoy dinner at sunset at clint's mission ranch. but for me the best part is merely soaking up the views--from walking on the ocean to driving down to big sur and beyond.

so maybe the answer is to spend a few days and decide for yourself.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM

Two full days may be enough. One to visit the Monterey aquarium and the Carmel Mission--walk around Carmel in the evening. And one to drive down the Big Sur coast at least as far as Nepenthe for the view of the coast--views will be avialble all along the way.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
3 nights is perfect. Put aside a full day if you're going to Big Sur: the drive is time-consuming, but absolutely positively worth it. I second Nepenthe -- especially if you can be there when the sun is setting. Truly one of the most gorgeous sights on the planet!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yes! Make the drive down to Big Sur. Please...stop at the Post Ranch Inn and have lunch in their restaurant,Sierra Mar...or just drinks on their deck. You will feel suspended over the water. Their restaurant was pictured on a recent cover of Travel & Leisure Magazine.

We stopped there for lunch and enjoyed it so much we went back for drinks before dinner. Magical place...

Check out their website: www.postranchinn.com

If your budget and time will allow, stay there for a night (or two)!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We decided to stay in Carmel for 3 nights (The Cobblestone Inn). We then head up to Healdsburg for 2 nights, then to Yountville for 4 nights followed by 1 night in SF. We are very much looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM

3 nights is a nice amount of time for Carmel. We stayed 3 nights in December (2005) at the Highland's Inn, it was heavenly! There's much to do and see in the area, it's also nice just to relax at the beach on a blanket with a good novel. ***kim***