Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California - Carmel or Big Sur

I just can't decide...Aug. 9 and 10...Carmeo or Big Sur
(never been there)
I put this on the wrong forum
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Haven't been to Carmel except to drive through it, but Big Sur is pretty amazing.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Two entirely different things - one strictly natural, the other a charming little town (with beach and ocean, too). Hard for us to choose for you!

By the way, there are no separate forums for the different states -- just one big USA forum.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM

You could stay in Carmel and take the scenic drive to Big Sur, we did this when we stayed in Carmel at the Highland's Inn in December, it's a beautiful drive. Go to Nepenthe for lunch or Sierra Mar @ the Post Ranch Inn. ***kim***
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Second Kim's suggesetion. Two days isn't a lot of time. Are you just stopping through or is it going to be a destination?
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM

There is no problem in seeing both Carmel and Big Sur. In fact I would recommend staying in Carmel and driving to Big Sur for the day. It is only about a 45 minute drive and one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Lunch on the outdoor patio at the Ventana Inn is a great experience.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Very different places, despite their proximity. We have stayed in Big Sur and in Carmel (most recently, Carmel early this month) and, as much as I enjoy Carmel, my heart is with Big Sur.

I loved Carmel when I was a kid in the 50s, but it was much less self-conscious then. It's still just as lovely, charming, quaint, etc, etc. It's just that the village has become somehow very precious. The art scene for which Carmel is well-known is very tourist-oriented, which I find a turnoff -- but lots of people love it. And the beach can't be beat for accessibility, walking, beauty.

Keep in mind that staying in Big Sur is quiet & more remote (albeit less than an hour's drive from Carmel.) You won't have a multitude of restaurant options...but you won't care, either, because being there is so spiritually nourishing!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - this is helpful. We'll find a place in Carmel for the 2 nights and drive to Big Sur - have looked at blogs in Fodor and looked up some places to stay.
We are visiting in San Francisco for the Senior Olympic Games and wanted to stay a couple of extra days.
Thanks for places to eat in Big Sur. If we have the one nice meal in Carmel, where would you suggest? (overlooking the beauty of the water)
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM

What is your budget, Judy?

Pacific Edge at the Highlands Inn overlooks the water and has a fabulous view but is very expensive:

http://www.pacificsedge.com/

Someone suggested Nepenthe which is on highway 1 in Big Sur. You could have dinner there with a beautiful view and then drive back to Carmel:

www.nepenthebigsur.com/

The link isn't working so hope it is still in business.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM

For more upscale dining in Big Sur, try http://www.ventanainn.com/dining.asp
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
You don't go to Nepenthe for the food (which is neither particularly interesting or particularly tasty)...you go for the scenery: world-class scenery. If the weather is half-decent, ask for an outside table, sitting along the edge of the patio. You can't make reservations for fewer than 5 people, but we've never had to wait long -- besides, the view is so spectacular and so mesmerizing, you don't get that "what's taking so long?" feeling!

Be sure to eat at the restaurant itself, not at Cafe Kevah, which is nice, but not as nice.

The Phoenix gift shop (which is connected to the restaurant) is interesting & enjoyable, even for people who don't like to shop (like my husband). Kind of an upscale, more selective World Market.

If you're more interested in food than scenery, there are many other places, which I'm sure people here will recommend!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Be sure to go to Point Lobos. If you feel like a hike you can park on the road (you'll see other cars parked there) and walk in and do the perimeter hike. It's about 6 miles and you'll see so many different microclimates; sheltered coves, sealion rocks, tide pools with aenemomies to poke, hilltops with 360 degree views, white beaches... it's just beautiful. pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us

Another of my favorite things to do is have a drink at the outside bar at the Inn at Spanish Bay at snset and watch the bagpiper come over the 18th hole as the sun sets.

Rocky Point, a little farther south has some fabulous views if you want to stop for lunch/snack/a drink.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Love Big Sur and make sure you have lunch at Sierra Mar on the patio at Post Ranch Inn..stunning view and the food is excellent.
Big Sur Bakery is another fav..
You can do app's and drinks at Carmel's Pacific Edge and get there at sunset and then have dinner at Passionfish..
One of the best restaurants for seafood in Pacific Grove which is next door to Carmel.
Nepenthe is strictly for drinks and view..food is meh..
the surly staff is something else to be desired..

www.postranchinn.com
www.passionfish.net
www.bigsurbakery.com
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM

"Keep in mind that staying in Big Sur is quiet & more remote (albeit less than an hour's drive from Carmel.) You won't have a multitude of restaurant options...but you won't care, either, because being there is so spiritually nourishing!"

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH LUCIEV!