car trip northeast coast

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car trip northeast coast

Would appreciate your help/suggestions:
Coming to the USA on the 2nd of October and staying or to the 18th or 24th

Arriving at JFK and staying for 1 week in Manhattan than planning to drive to Boston , New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and maybe also driving to Pennsylvania ( to visit fallingwater) than back to Manhattan

Would love any suggestions for best scenic roads, towns that i should stay for night and if i should extend my trip to the 24th (22 days) instead of the 18th of October (17 days) ?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM

Not sure why you posted this twice - maybe you noticed you tagged the other post as a trip report. Anyway, good idea to repost it without that tag. So here's what I just posted on that other one.

So you are heading to New England on about Oct 9 and you have either ten or fifteen days? That's peak foliage season so that will be great, but will make finding lodging difficult so you should plan your route ahead of time and reserve hotels.

Because of the dates I would head north first and then east and then back south. Leaving NYÇ take the Merrit/Wilbur Cross Parkway into Conn and then I-91 north. The Northampton Mass area would be a good area to stop for lunch and a few hours (it's about 3-4 hours from NYC). A half hour north of there is Historic Deerfield Mass (restored 17th C houses/street) which if you are into history is worth a stop. If you stop at those two places you might want to spend the first night in that area.

Then push north into Vermont. All of Vermont should be peak at that time. You pretty much can't go wrong but some towns to consider would be Newfane, Grafton, Woodstock, Quechee, Weston, Stowe.

Then head east into New Hampshire - probably stay north of Concord for most dramatic scenery - Lake Winnipesaukee, Kangamangus Highway through the White Mountains. That mid state area is the most 'scenic' but also the most touristy. South of Manchester is suburban sprawl, and north of the Kangamangus is not any better so not worth driving that much further.

You didn't mention Maine - most people consider that a highligh of a New England Trip (but maybe you've already done that or something). In any event, if you have not been to Maine then head east to the coast. Depending on amount of time you have either go north as far as Acadia or anywhere south of there. Highlights are Camden/Rockport, Boothbay Harbor, Portland, Kennebunckport, Oqunquit, York.

Then get on I95 down into Boston. From Boston back to NY take I90 to STurbridge (Sturbridge Village is a restored town from 1830 and worth several hours), then I 84 to Hartford to I 91 back to the Merrit/Wilbur Cross.

In terms of how long each area - depends on if you are doing ten or fifteen days (I vote for fifteen) and how long you want in Boston. And if you really want to exclude Maine.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Isabel thank you for all the extremely useful info. ( sorry did not notice that you have sent me a reply, since unfortunately , Fodors does not send you an email. ( it seems)

You are absolutely correct about maine, since would likr to visit Boston.
it is my first time traveling in that part of the States.

So I guess through your point of view , i should stay until the 24th of October to be able to have more time?

2- After seing the map, I am interested of going ( maybe a day trip) to go and visit the Niagara Falls.

3- and also, being an architect, i am interested of at the end ( before returning to NYC) for my flight, to pass by Peensylvania for a quick visit to fallingwater - Wrights house-

So do you think that i should first go to Niagara falls? tha north, than East than cutting from Boston to go Pennsylvania than back to NYC ?
Or should i start, after the 1 week in Manhattan, first Pennsylvania , than to Niaggara than on the east coast- just afraid that it will get cold ???
( sorry but i am lost here of the best itinerary)

Thanks a lot for your time and help
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
While I love Fallingwater, it really is a bit out of the way in relation to the other places you want to visit. U may want to rethink adding it in. I think u will hit most of Vermont towards the end of its peak foliage season, but none the less it will be beautiful. Same will hold true for the White Mountain area in NH.

Another area u might consider is the Berkshires in Mass. -- Alot to see in that area and very pretty.

I would agree with the towns Isabel mentioned - they r all lovely.

If your trip is this Oct, I would get reservations ASAP as it's a very popular destination in October.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Here's an alternative to Fallingwater...You can see Frank Lloyd Wright's "Zimmerman House" in New Hampshire. Its part of the Currier Museum of art, you get guided tours from there. It will fit your itinerary MUCH better than trying to go to Pittsburgh.

http://www.currier.org/
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM

I would also skip Niagara Falls due to the distance from anywhere else on this trip. Add the time needed for this to more time in New England.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM

I agree that Pittsburgh & Niagara Falls are much too far away from your other destinations. Isabel gave excellent ideas, & if you have the time, I would also go to Maine. That way you have a nice mix of mountains, fall foliage, beautiful rugged coastal scenery & 2 cities.

If you follow Isabel's suggestion, I can recommend having lunch in Northampton at the Northampton Brewery or Eastside Grill.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thankss a lot for all your comments.
I was mentioning about Pennsylvania and Niagara Falls since I have 22 days ( but 1 week in NYC) so left for the road trip of 15 days.
Since wanted to have light luggage while in NYC and did not want to have a car, was planning of staying the first week in the city than renting a car in JFK than heading north than back for my airline and dropping the car.
Was it better to head as i arrive to the north than my last week in NYC, because of the wheather? ( did not want to do that since will be carrying heavy luggage.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Also since seems tough for hotel reservation, maybe shall i stay in campground cabins during my journey? any suggestions?
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I don't think it would make that much difference if you did NYC at the beginning or end. If you did the New England road trip first then I would maybe reverse the order: NYC-Boston-Maine-NH-VT-western Mass-NYC. Maybe you could pick places you want to spend the night and see about accommodations and if you are having trouble finding things then you could change the order. But I think if you start looking now you will not have a problem, especially if you are not fussy and don't want just botique B&Bs. You don't need to stay in campgrounds and in fact, that would probably be harder to find than regular motels. Just don't go without reservations and expect to find anything. If you reserve now (within the next month) you should be OK.

I really think you would be sorry if you try to include either Niagara Falls or Pennsylvania. They are just to far to drive. You have a nice amount of time for a trip that includes NYC and New England, don't mess it up by trying to add in more places.

Here are links to my photos of NYC, Boston, and New England if you are interested. I am not an architect but I love to photograph buildings. www.pbase.com/annforcier (The NYC gallery I am currently updating, the new one should be done in a week or so).
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Isabel thanks.
I am amazed by the beautiful pictures that you have posted. Really so nice . I guess you are a professional photographer.
( I guess you should visit next time Lebanon)

1st Unfortunately, I guess you are correct of me adding Pennsylvania to my trip may be too far. (just being an architect was excited of seeing Frank Loyd wrights houses)
I do think for luggage purposes it is easier for me to go first to NYC for 1 week (since will have only 1 suitecase) than go back to JFK airport to rent a car than do my car trip and just return to JFK and give back the carn ( by then will have at least 2 suitecases, since planning of doing some serious shopping, hopefully will find some outlet malls)

2- Have heard that In Vermont I should take Route 100, as this known as the 'leaf peeping' route. Than to deviate by a few miles onto route 4 east and see Woodstock VT

Any suggestions of how to fit that route into your Itenerary?

3- Would you suggest in which towns ( based on your itenerary) i should spend a night or 2 ?

4- Also any best restaurants should I go to ??

Sorry for so many questions and little nervous since will be alone.
Again thanks a lot for your tremendous help
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

By the way have changed my travel time from october to september. So will be arriving in NYC on the 7th of September and will leave the states on the 27th of September.
i guess the weather will be more pleasant up north.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Isabel first thanks for your itenarary. excellent one.
please if would like to drive ( from NYC) through Route 100 'leaf peeping' route in VT than deviate through Woodstock than continue according your dirve plan, could you please let me know the changes that i should make to your itenerary.

Also where would you suggest the best towns to spend the night .

Thank you
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
yk

I want to second China_cat's suggestion of Zimmerman House in Concord, New Hampshire. It's a lovely home designed by FLW, and all the furnishings are original. If you're keen on seeing FLW's work, you should definitely go check it out.

In Lincoln, MA (about 10 miles outside of Boston), is the hope of Walter Gropius. I love that house and visit it at least once a year.
http://www.historicnewengland.org/hi.../gropius-house

I'm not sure which period of architecture you like most, but there are plenty of mid-century buildings in Cambridge. You may want to check out this architecture walk/tour I took last year:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ridge-mass.cfm
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

YK;
excellent proposition about architecture. Did not know about all these great buildings in such a short distance.
will make sure to see them on my way back to NYC.
Thank you