car rental suggestion- Midwest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a road trip in August from Minneapolis through UP to Grand Rapids. I've heard there is some difficulty renting cars. Can anyone recommend a good/cheap car rental agency in the midwest? thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 01:37 PM

Checking quickly now it looks like Dollar has the cheaper rates, about $750 for a week for a compact. I'd look for coupon codes and lock something in now that you can change later.

With the drop in another state you are going to have trouble finding a local company that might be cheaper that can accommodate the out of state drop.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 02:05 PM
J62

Originally Posted by stoweflake
We will be taking a road trip in August from Minneapolis through UP to Grand Rapids. I've heard there is some difficulty renting cars. Can anyone recommend a good/cheap car rental agency in the midwest? thanks
i’ve had good luck domestic US renting via AutoEurope - car was Budget
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 07:51 AM

A few sources for car rentals: 1. your airline (check your reservation on line and see if it has link for car rental), 2. hotwire.com (they have "blind" and also "known" suppliers with and without prepaying. And keep checking. I had the problem last year twice last summer. I booked at an expensive rate well ahead of time to secure the car but then closer to the actual travel date rates were much lower so I just cancelled and rebooked.
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 07:45 PM

We have had the best prices renting a car through Costco.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the great ideas. We are not a member of Costa, I ended that 10 years ago and still have paper goods from my over purchasing there. . I booked a car through budget yesterday at a pretty good price, no prepayment but will continue to check using the suggestions Laurie_ann gave. Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 06:29 AM

Look on Kayak. They don't rent cars on that site but list all the rentals available. I plugged in random dates in august and the price is really pretty cheap. one way.