Car Rental in St. Pete

Search

Car Rental in St. Pete

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in St. Pete

We are flying into St. Pete (PIE) on Feb 19th staying until the Feb 23rd. We want to rent a car, but the prices are unbelievably high. Should I hold off booking until after the holiday weekend (Feb 14,15,16)or are there any other websites to check? (I've check expedia, travelocity, orbitz)I can't see forking over $250 including tax for a 4 day car rental. Please help. Thanks so much
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM
aprilluv

Are you coming into TIA, and if so, did you contact Alamo (they are located one mile away, but their transport is just outside baggage claim, and service is good). We're finding lower prices for later weekends taht month. Hope you have some success.

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:21 AM

My "strategy" for car rental is to look on Travelocity or Expedia to get an idea of per day price. Then I look on hotwire and get their price. It will include all the taxes which may be what is driving up the price. Now I know what the per day price is and taxes. Then I bid on Priceline knowing how much extra will be added for taxes. I have saved as much as 50%.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Rental cars in Florida seem to be very high. We just paid $800 for a 10-day rental (4-door, mid-size)! Yikes! My son paid $300+ for about 5 days. So... yes, they are much higher than other locations, in my opinion.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:35 AM
aprilluv

Just paid $286 for five days Mustang convertible in TIA - contact AVIS and use whatever discounts you have - corporate, AARP, Costco, etc. AVIS is in the terminal, and cars are parked a short distance away, across the interior drive. Good luck!!

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I just check hotwire and they have cars for only $22 a day. I know I might get a "noname" car company, but for the savings I think I'll take the risk. It's really the taxes that kill you. I rented a car in Denver last week and they had a 35% tax. I wish I knew where all that government money was being spent!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Check Thrifty.

We rented from them in Miami in January at $199 for a minivan for a week.

Although February rates are higher for sure.

Good luck.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:43 AM

I was checking also and all the rates were close to double, then i checked on cheap ticket.com rates were $126/ week with a compact. They were using Hertz. Check immediately
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:33 AM

You're in luck. There are some "internet bargain" rates listed at budget.com, and the blackout dates for Florida end on Feb 18th.

During busy weeks like this, though, unfortunately, if you really want a car, you have to reserve something with 2 or 3 different car companies, as they might be sold-out of cars when you arrive, even if you have a reservation. Budget has done this to me before, but at least, if you call customer service, they will refund you the difference of what you reserved with Budget and the price you had to pay elsewhere when they send you away.