Search

Car or flight in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2015, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car or flight in December

Hi guys,

Me and my boyfriend are planning to visit Las Vegas and California in December. We will be flying from Dallas to Las Vegas. The initial plan was to take a flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles (spend two days here) and then take another flight from LA to SFO. Now we are confused if we should instead rent a car which gives us more flexibility. We calculated the costs and time in both options, there is not a lot of difference. However, I suddenly realized that since it is December (15th onwards), can the weather conditions be harsh for a drive? Please suggest what we should do. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 04:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The drive from LV to LA is definitely to-be-missed if you can avoid it, and you can. Fly to LA and pick up a car there to use to see the area. Then return the car and fly to SF, if the drive up doesn't interest you.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 04:26 PM

Last December was wonderful. This year there are predictions of heavy rains. However, in this morning's San Francisco Chronicle, they predicted 50% chance of rain by mid-morning. Where were few clouds (if any) all day today - obviously no rain. For tomorrow, they predict 90% chance of rain. Earlier this past week - they predicted rain - there were about 8 drops of rain at our house near SFO.

I would rent a car & leave LA very early and drive on the LA freeways to San Louis Obispo & then take Hwy #1 up the coast to Carmel/Monterey. Then take Freeways (101 to 280) to SF. Make this at least a 2 night trip - more if the weather is nice. You can probably head out from LA without hotel reservations. Stay overnight in Big Sur (we like the Big Sur Lodge) but there are funkier places to stay too. Then 1 or 2 nights in Carmel.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 04:44 PM

>> if the drive up doesn't interest you.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 06:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I took the "confusion" to mean getting from LV to LA. Re-reading it, it could mean either. Of course the drive to SF can be great. I suggest you skip LV and spend the whole trip in LA, SF and points between. Since no time frame has been revealed, we could go on like this forever and all be confused together.

BTW, it's raining in Gold Country as I speak. Yay!
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 08:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The drive up the coast is terrific. BUT it is not wonderful in pouring rain, and Big Sur should be avoided during winter storms . The main problem is you won't know if it is stormy or not until 2 or 3 days ahead of time.

How many days is the entire trip? I'd fly V to LA, rent a car for the LA area, then fly to SFO. Then IF you have time and IF the weather cooperates, you can always rent a car for 2 or 3 days to explore Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur. Fly home from SFO

Yep -- raining in the valley too.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 08:41 PM

No rain in San Mateo. I've had shorts & polo shirt on for the past 2 weeks (we were in Europe prior to that). 66 degrees at 5:30m PM.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you plan to do or see in Los angeles? If it's the Hollywood stuff & sightseeing, fly into BURbank airport, not LAX, it's much easier to deal with. If it's the beach that you want, LAX is closer.
Reserve a car for the coastal drive, check the weather predictions about a week beforehand....cancel the car and book a Burbank-to-SFO flight with 7 day advance discount if it looks iffy.
Oh, and how many days do you have, total? 2 nights L.A, 2 nights San Francisco, and just 1 day to drive the coast?
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 09:12 AM

>> 2 nights L.A, 2 nights San Francisco, and just 1 day to drive the coast?
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM

It isn't really only 1.5 days in LA if they fly from LV to LA and go in the early morning. That doesn't leave half a day. The flight is only an hour, after all. I do that in lots of cities for visits and am there getting by rental car by 11 am. Some people are barely out of bed by then. Not to mention, some people do things until midnight. I agree with the suggestion to consider flying into Burbank (SWA does that from LV) which is a real small airport.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:45 AM

>>getting by rental car by 11 am
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The flight is only an hour, after all. I do that in lots of cities for visits and am there getting by rental car by 11 am. Some people are barely out of bed by then. Not to mention, some people do things until midnight.exactly half of a day, but pretty close. Especially w/ many sightseeing opportunities (museums, galleries, daylight) ending around 5 or 6PM-ish.