Car needed for new orleans trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to New Orleans for 4 nights in October. We are wondering if we should rent a car. This is the first time we are visiting. We would like to see some of the plantations outside of town one day. Also is a riverboat cruise worth doing?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:03 AM

We were there for 4 days in December and did not miss a car. (We usually rent a car when we travel to other destinations.)

We took a 1/2 day tour to Oak Alley & enjoyed it very much. We used Grayline tours.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:07 AM

If staying in the French Quarter, a car is totally unecessary. No only is parking quite expensive and at a premium, you can walk everywhere!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:10 AM

A car is more trouble than it is worth in NO. Everything is pretty much reachable on foot, by trolley, by boat, etc.

There are good tours of several plantations - but if you don't want to do a group thing you could always rent a car for one day.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Another vote for not renting a car. We were there for a week and didn't miss having a car at all (and we are from California where we drive everywhere - LOL).

For plantation tours, we took a tour with Spinato Tours to Oak Alley and Laura Plantations - it was a 1/2 day tour which picked us up at our hotel about 12:30 and brought us back to our hotel about 5. The tour went in a van rather than a bus which was nice, and the driver was really entertaining and told us lots of information about the area as well as some great stories. I've heard good things about Tours by Isabelle as well.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Gotta go with the rest against a car rental in NOLA. Was there in March for a whole week and never missed not having a car. (And I'm also from California where we have our cars attached to our hips!) Truly, NO is a fairly easy city to get around.

There are several tours to the plantations, the most popular ones being Laura and Oak Alley. I can't remember which one I took, but I think they are all relatively the same. And why try to navigate? Let the tour company do the driving! The only thing is if you wanted to stay overnight at a plantation - then I would consider renting a car just for that purpose.

As far as a riverboat cruise, which one were you thinking of? There is the Mississippi Queen which is an overnight cruise up the Mississippi that seems interesting. (No, didn't do.) If you are think of the Natchez, save your money. A cruise down the Mississippi at NOLA is not as romantic as you might think. You see the back end of every riverfront warehouse in New Orleans - and it ain't a pretty sight. The food is overpriced, and the wind off that river is COLD! Unless you are completely bundled up, you'll be staying indoors, looking bored out the windows, wishing you were back in the FQ. Skip it.

Now, there is the Cajun Queen and the Creole Queen which might be a consideration. They take you down the river to the site of the Battle of New Orleans. If you are a history buff, this might prove interesting. (The Natches makes no stops) But if you aren't into the historical thing, it's a waste of time, IMO.

You should have a great time - New Orleans is one fun city!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:53 AM

Must agree with the group about not needing or wanting a car in N.O. Don't bother.
As for river cruise, I took one and have to agree with Chele 60 that it wasn't worth it. You could take a bayou trip instead; depends on when in October you'll be there - late October's a little late for gators but you might see a few and the culture/flora of the bayous is interesting.
I used Grayline for plantaion, bayou, cemetery, and general city tours while there with my husband who was attending a convention. The meeting place is (or was) right by the Jackson Brewery building, so easy to find.
If you're there for Halloween, it's an interesting night to be in New Orleans!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Another vote for no car. We stayed in the Garden District several years ago in December for a week without a car. The trolley line is fantastic and takes you a good distance past the Garden District and the unversities (Tulane) and to the Audubon Zoo. At the other end, it goes right into the French Quarter. We also used Grey Line Tours for a City Tour and a Plantation Tour, both excellent. Forget the car!