Search

Car in Savannah?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in Savannah?

Hello,

The Fodors forums have always been helpful in the past, and I was hoping for any advice for a Labor Day trip I booked last week. My girlfriend and I will arrive in Charleston next Wednesday and plan on staying 3 days before driving down to Savannah for another 3 days.

We initially planned on renting a car for just one day to visit the plantations in Charleston and the drive to Savannah afterwards (with a possible stop in Beaufort).

I realize the car rental agencies are closed on Sundays and Labor Day, so my question is it would make sense to keep a rental car for 2 additional days (and $130) in Savannah or go without a car completely. Outside of the historic district, we'd be interested in visiting Bonaventure Cemetery, Isle of Hope or Tybee Island (for kayaking). Also,we wouldn't mind biking to these sights instead of driving if it's advisable and weather permits.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SFgo
San Francisco
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM

We kept our rental in Savannah even though we did not use the car while there for the simple reason that on the whole it was probably cheaper and far more convenient to keep the car until we returned to Charleston. We flew into Charleston from SFO and then flew to D.C., and flights out of Savannah to D.C. were far more expensive than out of Charleston. You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You'll want a car to do the activities you list.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Bonaventure and Tybee will require a car.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. And Michael, I enjoyed your trip report--very well-written and insightful!