Car in Gaslamp District

Search

Car in Gaslamp District

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in Gaslamp District

We will be spending three days in the Gaslight district before moving on to La Jolla. We planned to rent a car when we were leaving the city but I have been reading messages that state that you must have a car to get around the city.
Is there any kind of public transportation available in the Gaslight district to go to other areas of the city. Cab availability?
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM

I stayed in the Gaslamp Quarter in ’03 without a car. I took I took a bus to the zoo, La Jolla and Balboa Park and walked to Hotel del Coronado and around the Gaslamp Quarter, of course. The hotel I stayed at offered a bus tour to a couple of towns in Baja California, so I did that one day. Can’t think of what else I did but I didn’t have a car.

Here is a site that might be helpful.

http://www.sandiego.gov/economic-dev...ortation.shtml
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM

You walked to the Hotel Del Coronado from where? The Gaslamp District? I'm impressed if so.

ediemay, we stayed right down town and we had a car, but took public transporation quite a bit. Still I think you'd miss a lot without a car.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM

I think so. I only remember taking a bus twice. I will have to think harder about it and get back to you.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM

If you're moving on to La Jolla, then you're still staying in San Diego but just another part. So, it would be a good idea to wait until you make the move before getting a car.

You can get to Coronado by the ferry. But I too, like to walk on water
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I think I must have taken the ferry, sorry about that. I don't remember going over the bridge (I was just looking at the route on mapquest), but I do remember walking through a neighborhood to get to the hotel.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the trolley yet. San Diego has a trolley system that goes through downtown (including the Gaslamp), and it can take you to various other areas (Little Italy, Old Town, Mission Valley and points further east, even south, as far as the Mexican border). In conjunction with the bus system and walking, it can get you around pretty well. But yes, when you move on to La Jolla, you'll want a car.

Mike (San Diego native)
My travel blog: www.stricklandia.com
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM

We go to San Diego almost every year and rarely do we get a car. While the public transportation won't get you everywhere, between the buses and the trolley (and the ferry to Coronado) you can find plenty to do in 3 days without a car. If there are things you want to do and you need a car save them for your time in La Jolla when you'll have a car.