Search

Car in San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in San Diego?

I am traveling to San Diego from Nov. 29 - Dec. 3 for a conference and I am debating the need for a rental car.

I will be staying at the Hotel Solamar which seems pretty close to the Convention Center (where the conference is) and sights such as the Gaslamp District and so forth. It also sounds like I can get a shuttle or taxi between hotel and airport (SAN) without much trouble or expense.

The rental car would be a hefty added expense to begin with but then the hotel charges $30 for each 24 hour period parking. Obviously, I can cut significant costs without the car.

I have never been to San Diego and would like to see a few of the sights before leaving. Am I in a good area where I can get a flavor for the city without renting a car... or would I be handicapping myself by not getting one?

Your advice, as always, is greatly apprecited!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I would recommend getting a car so you can go out to La Jolla, drive to Coronado, etc. San Diego is easy to get around in via car. Agree that the parking is expensive
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

A little extra info that may help....

My "tourist time" is also somewhat limited. I will probably be at the conference from about 9AM to 4PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The free time will be from noon and later on Thursday, then late afternoon and evening Fri-Sun.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Are you expensing it? Get a car.

If not it depends on what you want to see.

You can get all around downtown (Gaslamp, Seaport Village, Horton Plaza) and old town without a car. You can get to Coronado without a car by boat.

If you want to go to La Jolla then a taxi is expensive and the bus is a bad option so you would need a car.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM

When I was in SD I used the train to get around some - you can take it from downtown all the way to Oceanside
Carlsbad is my favorite beachtown and the train does stop there - does not stop in La Jolla though
I thought it was easy to use- cheap

I even used to go to airport from Carlsbad

heres a link
http://www.gonctd.com/coaster/coasters.html

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you can manage without a car. There's a lot to see in the downtown/Embarcadero area and you can use the Trolley to get to Old Town, Mission San Diego de Alcala and Fashion Valley shopping mall(very good).

It doesn't cost very much to get a cab from downtown to Balboa Park (lots of interesting museums) or the Zoo.

A cab to and from La Jolla will cost you less than renting a car and paying to park it at your hotel.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Barbara, when you include a cab ride to/from La Jolla along with to/from airport, and maybe Balboa park the cost of car versus taxi is probably about even.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
TahitiTams

Hi Shandy..
Love the Hotel Solamar..this is a great hotel in a perfect location in the Gaslamp..
Since you will be at the conference from 9-4
I would rent a car for the day from Enterprise, where they will pick you up and for probably $30 or less for a rental, you can check out La Jolla and the coast..
La Jolla/Del Mar/Solana Beach is gorgeous and have lunch at George's at the Cove on the terrace.
You can take the water taxi to Coronado, the trolley to Old Town for Mex food and a cab to and from the airport which will be about $10 bucks each way..
Have a great time in SD!

gaslamp.org
sdhe.com
georgesatthecove.com

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM

ouch...didn't catch $30/day for parking.

I assume that is valet at the hotel.

There are cheaper places around the hotel that should have easy access especially since the baseball season is over.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM

If you go with Tahiti Tam's suggestion and rent a car from Enterprise for a day, use the branch in Mission Valley at 950 Hotel Circle North (619-296-7493). It's almost half the cost of the downtown branch on F Street. All the branches close at 6pm, so you'd either have to return it by 6pm or first thing in the morning of the next day. Also, they do pick you up, but then they take you to their office to complete the paperwork, get your credit card, etc. That could take up to an hour out of the already limited time you have.

I still think it's unneccessary, though.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM

If time is limited then don't mess with a car. You can see much by walking, taxi, or trolly.

I would make it a point to catch the ferry from the Broadway Pier out to Coronado and have a meal at The Landing walk up Orange and along the waterfront; before taking the ferry back.

Check the Trolly route as it will take you to several places or just jump on and ride one way and then back.

I don't know the hotel, but the area is great to just walk, eat, and see.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Is your company paying for your cabs to and from the airport? If you're paying for everything yourself and want to see as much as possible in your limited time, I would rent a car as you will spend a lot in cab prices and still won't be able to see as much as you want when you only have a few hours here and there. Like others said, you can find much cheaper parking around Gaslamp near your hotel. You don't actually have to park it at the hotel for $30.

Also, rent after your conference at 5pm. That way, you won't have to return it until next day at 5pm, etc.

you can also consider renting it for just a day if you don't have to pay out of pocket to commute to and from the airport.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I'm surprised how many can enjoy touring San Diego without a car--I couldn't.

Perhaps there is a car rental agency near your hotel where you can rent a car in the morning and return it in the evening, avoiding the $30 parking fee.

Or, perhaps you can get a good weekend rate on a car and find a garage near your hotel where you can park the car at a reduced weekend rate.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

The cost gets split. Initially the car and parking are both out of pocket. The company will reimburse me for the cost of the rental but I still pay for the parking.

If I get the car and choose not to park with the hotel's valet for $30, what are the area lots/garages like for rates overnight?

I am probably leaning towards not getting the car and doing what I can by foot or trolley, etc but if I can park the car near the hotel without spending a fortune I'd lean the other way. I looked for rates online but have not found any that are shared on the web yet. Anyone know what they run?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Ooops... almost forgot! Thank you for all the replies so far... they are VERY helpful and greatly appreciated!

In terms of specific places I want to see? Right now the Gaslamp District and Sea World are the only two big items on my list. I know Sea World is super touristy but I am sucker for fish. =) The zoo might be good, too, if I can squeeze it in.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I quickly checked TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel and the second one already gave a tip "Tip, check in then park a block away it cost $12 per 24 hrs. compared to $24 for 24 hrs at hotel." So parking shouldn't be an issue.

It is really very useful in SD to have a car as things are very spread out. I would try to check out all of the following:

Old Town
Coronado
La Jolla
Wild Animal Park (I prefer it to the zoo and Seaworld as those exist in other places and this one is unique)

If you have more time, you can add Pacific Beach as well.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM

happytrails, I live in San Diego and I usually strongly recommend renting a car. This time however, given the limited number of hours shandy has to tour around, plus the hotel's proximity to the Trolley, plus it gets dark earlier at that time of year leaving even less time for sightseeing, I don't think it makes a lot of sense.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Well, Barbara, I don't live in San Diego so I will trust your judgment.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM

If you do get a car, the best thing we did while in San Diego was to see Wild Animal Park. And do the tour where you get to feed the giraffe, and Rhino's. It is about 30 miles north of San Diego and is owned by the zoo.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM

You could take a taxi to SeaWorld. It's less than 10 miles from your hotel.
You may want to check the closing times and show times at www.seaworldsandiego.com
I don't go there often but it seems that their closing times and show times differ by a unique schedule known only to Sea World.

Have fun in San Diego, I hope we have nice weather for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -