Car for Embassy Suites Austin

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we need to rent a car whilst situated at the Embassy Suites Hotel off of South Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas?

We will be there for one week at the end of June.

We have family members there who do have a car and these people will be showing us around some days.

We are very good at public transportation, as we are WORLD TRAVELLERS!

We are coming from the big city of Philadelphia.

What do you Texans think?

Swisshiker? P_M? Austin?

Cheers, thanks a lot,

Thin
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed at the Embassy Suites Austin on South Congress a couple of years ago...does that count?

Anyway, at that time the property had a free shuttle bus that would take you and pick you up within a certain radius. I was only there one night and also had a friend in town who picked me up so I didn't use it, but I noticed it seemed to get plenty of use.

The fun shops and restaurants on South Congress are just up the hill, walkable (in my opinion) and even downtown is not that far--I don't have any experience with public transportation in Austin. I hope this helps, and others will probably be along with more. Have fun--it's such a great city (I was just there again a few weeks ago).
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM

I used to live in Austin, and I don't remember the public transit being that great (or frequent). Don't know if anything has changed.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.

Thin
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM

I doubt it would be necessary, especially if you have access to transportation for things a little further away. I have emailed some other Texas fodorites to give their opinions though.
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:45 PM

I always have a car in Austin because I just drive there. In general, public transport in TX cities makes SEPTA look like an on call limo service. Austin does have a light rail service now but it serves a limited north south corridor. Otherwise you'd be riding the bus, not a high point of visitor experience. Taxis are not practicable for other than a short hop between locations. If you plan to do any sort of wandering (like out to the wineries or to Lake Travis for sunset at the Oasis) you'd need a car.

Will you be encumbered the entire time of your visit or shall we plan a GTG?

P.S. My niece graduated from Temple today!
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are coming for a week, I'd get a car. A night or two? Maybe. A week? I say "definitely" to getting a rental car.
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks.

Our plans had to be cancelled because of Keith's job.

We will still be coming to Austin, hopefully by the second or third week of July.

I will know more by next Wednesday.

My life is a nightmare!

I was supposed to go to Paris to see Cousin Muffy and her children in mid-July.

Now everything is F-ed Up!

Our plans to go to Lake Orto are now on hold.

I feel like just skipping out on Keith and flying to Venice without any notice what-so-ever!

Oh, he makes me so angry.

Thin
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Congratulations to niece, Seamus.

I take post-grad classes at Temple.

I think I have 3000 credits by now!

Thin
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Sorry about the plans, Thin. If you want to do a gtg when you do come, let us know. Won't pester you about it.

If you want to let us know what you want to do when you come, we can better advise about a car. My oldest lives in Austin and doesn't have a car, so if you really want to avoid one, of course you can. BUT in July it's going to be very hot standing around waiting for a bus. I think it was 97 today.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

No, we will rent a car.

We both drive in Philly.

I was just wondering since we don't drive in Manhattan, London, Rome, etc.

I used to live in Silicon Valley 20 years ago and, of course, you have to drive there.

I have never been to Texas, so don't know what the big cities are like.

Thank you for your wonderful help,

Thin
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:52 PM

Deep, cleansing breaths, Thinny Dearest - don't want to run up your blood pressure and trigger a vestibular episode.

Whenever you get here we will regale you with Texas hospitality.

I attended Temple maaaaany years ago, the very first time I ever went to college. What a wonderfully worldview expanding experience it was - especially in Johnson Hall where I was inexplicably (but somewhat providentially) housed on a floor with all the athletic scholarship recipients.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM
P_M

Hi Thinny,

I am so excited that you are coming to Austin and I can't wait to meet you and Keith. Unfortunately Austin is a city where a car is necessary, as most others have stated. I must give you a friendly warning, July is brutally hot. A trip in October would be much more pleasant but of course you are welcome any time of the year. If you have any other questions about Austin I will be happy to answer if I can.
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

We are now looking at July 19.

We will be combining this trip to Austin with a trip to Italy!

I will get my summer holiday in and see Cousin Muffy in Milano or there will be Hell to pay!

Keith will toe the line if he knows what is good for him.

Thin, looking forward
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

It looks like we are flying Delta from JFK to Austin on Saturday, July 20.

We will have to stay overnight in Manhattan after getting in from flight from Marco Polo at around 5.

Thin
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:30 PM
P_M

I can't wait to meet you Thinny. I'm off to France tomorrow so I will be out of touch for the next couple of weeks but when I return I would love to help plan your trip and a GTG.
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:45 AM

You are right to get a car for Austin, especially for a week in July. We have spent a lot of time in that Embassy Suites in Austin since we have family in Austin and a son who was at the University for the past 4 years. There are places (e.g. SoCo, bat viewing area, etc.) that are walkable from the ES, but it's not something I would relish doing in July! Also, there's so much of Austin that is not readily accessible by public transportation so a car is a must for a week's stay.

I hope that you are prepared for high heat (and humidity). We were in Austin (at ES) a couple weeks ago for UT graduation. Even in mid-May, it was fierce!
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Just seeing this now. If you haven't made your flight arrangements, Jet Blue has non stop flights from JFK to Austin.

Austin has limited mass transit. You would prob do better with a car but not totally necessary.

As mentioned, you will be on SoCo and can walk to some neat places - best in the AM and evening when not as hot. You will be very close to bat viewing in the congress ave bridge if that appeals to you..

Will watch for postings closer to your arrival if you need any more ideas/advice. Let me know if there is a GTG.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Let me know if you all plan a gtg ... I would love to try to come down!
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM

Yes, as long as it's not in Gruene. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -