Caprial's Restaurant in Portland, OR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Several years ago we had a great meal at Caprial's in Portland, Oregon. We're beginning to plan our trip next month to Oregon and I searched on Fodors for restaurants recommended for Portland. Caprials doesnt seem to get mentioned on Fodors, so I was wondering if anyone had recent experiences dining there. thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been years since I was there, but friends who dine there regularly say Caprial's is as good as it's always been. That said, I would encourage you to explore more of Portland's restaurant scene. There's been a renaissance here over the last few years, and still it seems a new place is opening almost every month. Some of my current favorites: Alberta St. Oyster Bar & Grill, Le Pigeon, Fenouil, Carlyle, Ten 01, Andina.... And besides Caprial's, several of the older stand-bys are still going strong: Paley's Place, Wildwood, Park Kitchen....
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM

beachbum named all my favorite restaurants!! lol, of course, he sent me to a few as did our friend mms .. I absolutely agree, try some of the new places!..
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, beachbum & Scarlett. We definitely plan to check out a few of the new ones you mentioned, perhaps Alberta St Bar & Grill, Fenouil, Le Pigeon and maybe Caryle. But I have such good memories of the meal at Caprial's, if it was still a good restaurant wanted to do a return visit.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hi yestravel, we had a very nice dinner at Olea last month and tonight we enjoyed another very good dinner at Bluehour in the Pearl District. Excellent service, lovely ambiance and yummy food. ***kim***
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:07 PM

Caprial's is still wonderful - it's a can't-miss spot for a meal. I suspect that the reason it's not mentioned very often is that it's tucked away, down here in southeast Portland, and not in the trendy Pearl or NoPo areas. (Fortunately for me, Caprial's is within walking distance!) Caprial and her husband John also do cooking classes in the back room of the restaurant (http://www.caprialandjohnskitchen.co...o_classes.html). They're terrific fun - very interactive, even though, for most classes, attendees just watch and fire questions ("But what if my husband doesn't like bleu cheese - what would you substitute?")at the chefs. You basically sip wine, watch them in action, and then eat the delectable results of their efforts.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. There are so many restaurants to choose from in Portland...tough choices to make.
miamatusow, glad to hear such a glowing report on Caprials. I think we will go again. It's not often a restaurant meal lingers in my mind for several years and I still remember how delcious our meal at Caprials was. Cooking classes are fun, but doubt we can fit it in timewise on our brief stay in Portland. Maybe next visit. We're also thinking of le Pigeon and Fenouil and maybe either Alberta St Oyster Bar & Grill or Ten 01.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM

We have enjoyed meals at both Ten 01 and Fenouil, very nice places to dine in Porland. The Risotto is very good at Ten 01 and Fenouil does a really nice butter lettuces salad and a salmon dish there, save room for dessert, the Profiteroles are really good, served in mini portions at great prices. ***kim***
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM

miamatusow--I think you are right about the location. There are so many good places in the area all around Portland here, but many don't get mentioned because they are not in the heart of downtown. I know here in our SW tiny suburb we have 2 places that would rival anything in downtown.

Kimamom--profiteroles are tiny, not just at Fenouil. I have had them there as well, but have to say the ones we had in France last month were even better!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM

Lawsy, don't start talking desserts!!
Fenouil made a wonderful creme brulee last time we were there , I always go for the Trois Chocolates thingee...
kim, profiteroles are always small, not just at Fenouil..one of the things I love about French cooking, they give you small tastes rather than a bucket ... although, I would not mind working on a bucket of their chocolates

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM

Sorry, lol, I realized after I posted that I repeated everything mms said...oh well, she is right lol...
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I firmly believe dessert is the most important part of any meal! And now that u all are suggesting specific dishes and making me hungry...any other suggestions for le Pigeon, Fenouil or Caprials?

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM

If you're after good desserts, don't forget about Papa Haydn - every dessert's a (delicious) work of art. The two locations are VERY different in feel, but the quality of the desserts never varies. Mmmm...I could go for a slab of boccone dolce right about now...
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to go the Papa Haydn restaurants just for dessert?
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM

Yes, you can just get dessert from Papa Haydns..
I loved them the first time we were in Portland, when we visited, but after we moved there, we soon found that most desserts we tried were too dry and really not that good. Most of the restaurants in Portland do such great desserts that I would no longer go to PH just to get dessert.
Fenouil makes desserts that are wonderful, I had bread pudding at Everett St Bistro that I still dream about lol and bluehour made wonderful chocolate desserts..sigh...I miss a good gooey dessert from Portland
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Nothing beats a yummy, gooey dessert, that's for sure.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM

We were admiring the dessert case in Papa Haydn yesterday while strolling through the Nob Hill area of Portland. Our lunch at the Portland City Grill was amazing, gorgeous views and excellent food.

Check out Saint Cupcake for some really yummy desserts! Darling little bakery that specializes in cupcakes. ***kim***
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

Saint Cupcake is wonderful indeed if you like cupcakes..they discussed it a lot on www.portlandfood.org

For anyone wondering about the Nob Hill refernce in Portland, this is because some long time ago Tourist magazine was calling the area around NW 23rd, Nob Hill...If you ask anyone in Portland today, where Nob Hill is- they will direct you to San Francisco..so just call it what the locals do - NorthWest.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like i won't be yearning for sweets while in Portland...that's good!
Scarlett, thanks for the info re "Nob Hill" I wondered where that was. Are you familiar with Mississippi Ave? have seen a couple articles on it in Travel mags, but cluelss if its worth visiting. This is our 4th visit to Portland so we're looking for new places to check out.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM

I have never had good luck at Papa Hayden's either location, though I tried several times- but do like Pix, Pied Cow and La Crema for desserts. Also love the Bakery bar for great sandwiches and desserts, right across from clark lewis.

I always get such a laugh when I hear someone refer to "Nob hill". Sure indicator that they are new Portland wannabe's. Like Scarlett says, none of my friends or relatives who are lifetime residents refer to that area as anything but "Northwest" or "Northwest 23rd"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -