Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Capitol one FF miles or Amex gold reward points?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is anyone's experience with using either or both of the cards? Which would you advise for just air travel. I have both and use the Amex gold card more for purchases. I haven't had the opportunity to redeem the Amex reward points as yet. Should I switch to the visa if I will primarily use the points for airfares? I cancelled a platinum Delta Sky Miles Amex frustrated over availabilty and blackouts. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM

The great advantage of the Amex Membership Rewards program is that you can use it for any number of airlines. I've redeemed Amex points for flights with several airlines.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Amex pts are the best. I find that you can drop them into any airline, any hotel program and we have done this with no problem. I would recommend this card over every other.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:29 AM
yk

You need to check AE's website and see if your preferred airline(s) are partner with AE's Membership Rewards.

I used to fly USAirways, but now I am living in an AA hub, and AE is not partner with AA.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I've studied these things, and of course everyone's needs are different. But I stick with my AA Citibank card because
1) I can fly anywhere I want with AA and I'm willing to book early for my reward tickets.
2) I can combine miles from various sources. I'd never get enough miles just from the charges I'd make on a credit card to earn the free tickets I get by combining charged miles with actual mileage miles earned on AA, along with dining rewards, ATT awards, and lots of bonuses. If I were trying to build up 50,000 points for a free ticket with Capitol One, it would kill me that the 7,000 miles I earned flying to California on AA including the bonus for booking on the site, couldn't be combined with the miles I'm charging on my Capitol One card -- that's $ 7,000 more I'd have to charge to catch up with my award potential sticking with AA and their card.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:12 AM

I used to have an AA Citibank card but I dumped it because of how badly the AAdvantage program has been cut back. I used to be able to fly cross country even at Christmas time with a coach award ticket (only a few blackout days) but those days are long gone. I found that the AA card wasn't worth the $55/year anymore. Plus, I've had some bad experiences connecting in both Dallas and Chicago the last few years and with AA I am pretty much stuck using one or the other to fly cross country.

I recently switched to an Amex Starwood Preferred card. Like the Amex reward card, you accumulate points, but you can actually transfer your points to any of the major airlines FF accounts 1:1 (except United which is 1:2, not really worth it). I've had the card only about six months and have yet to use any of my points so I can't tell you how well it works, but so far, so good - and only $30/year annual fee.

Andrew
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everybody. I'll stick with the Amex rewards.