Reload this Page >

Capital One MilesOne card flyer miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:04 AM
Greg

Has anyone used the Capital One MilesOne credit card to get free flights? Is it worth it to get one of these cards? Just trying to find someone who has experience with these cards and the miles program.
thanks

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:18 AM

CapitalOne sucks!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:32 AM
Thyra

I have a Capital One Milage plus card that had an introductory rate of 2% something and then it goes up to a fixed rate of 9.9% which is pretty decent for a credit card...
Also Capital one saved our butts when we were in Ireland in 1999 and we had some unforseen expenses. I was able to call Capital one and they increased our limit by a substantial amount to get us through the rough patch.. Citi bank whom I had called first would not. If not for Capital one we would have had to make an emergency flight home. I have accumulated a bunch of miles on my Capital one card so far, but have not attempted to use them yet so I can't respond to how easy it is. However the miles one card does have a lot of extras in terms of overseas car rental, medical assistance etc. Of course all credit cards are kind of evil, but out of all of them Capital One seems the most fair, at least to us.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:59 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I use a Capital One MilesOne Visa as a backup to my Delta Amex Card. I've racked up enough "miles" for a couple of free tickets and had no trouble cashing in miles. The only restrictions are that the fare be under a certain dollar amount (it equates to 2 cents per mile redeemed). This is far better than the old way of, "sorry sir, there are no seats available on that flight for redemption."

I got in too early, so am stuck with a $29 annual fee, but I've seen them as low as $19.

Greg, if your not getting some kind of incentive when using your credit card now, you should get one. There's no reason to not get something these days.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Gerry K

I recently used Cap One Visa points
for a US flight. The redemption was
quick and without hassle. I'd recommend
the card.

Cheers,

Gerry K

Old May 2nd, 2001, 11:50 AM
Cindy

I, too, am thinking of getting the Capital One Miles card.

Brian, if you're booking a ticket using miles, and if there is a dollar limit, how does that work? In other words, do they use "Wheel of Fortune" pricing, or are the price limits comparable to the quote you'd get by calling the airline?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Well, you lost me with wheel of fortune , but the way they've done it is as follows:

You get one "mile" for each dollar spent.

For domestic tickets, the US is divided up into zones, east, central and west. Travel within that zone r/t takes 18,000 miles provided that the ticket (taxes included) costs $360 or less (max value of miles is 2 cents). That $360 limit applies to the same prices you'd get from the airlines or travelocity. Travel anywhere in the continental US for 25,000 miles (ticket price of $500 or under). Europe is 50,000 ($1000), etc.

They actually buy you a ticket from the airline through their travel agency, so as long as the fare is under the limits, they don't care what flight you're on (i.e. you pick). And you can still earn FF miles on the flight since it was paid for (just not by you).

You just have to decide if there's a better deal out there to focus your card usage on (like I do with my Delta Amex) and whether you'll earn enough "miles" to justify the annual fee.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:55 PM
Judy

Thanks Brian, I wondered how that worked. Gerry: I am glad to know it is not a hassle to redeem miles. I also have the Capitol One Visa to back up my Delta Skymiles card. But we don't pay a fee? I ordered the card because a lot of places in Europe and the US, do not take Am EX.
Good info, thanks. Judy

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:37 PM
Tim

I used the card to purchase a ticket earlier this year. It was a very easy and painless experience. I have had my card for over a year and earned enough for another ticket. I will not switch cards. NO BLACKOUT DATES ! Anyone who has ever tried using airline miles knows what a pain it is. I've got 200,000 of the things, and can't go anywhere fun at the times I want to go without planning a year ahead.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
Greg

To everyone who responded, a big thank you. It sounds like it is on the level and I will go for it. I got an offer that will also give miles for every dollar you transfer from an existing card. Brian, thanks for the advice the only incentive my current VISA card has is the privilege of paying them %17.00 interest.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:16 AM
Gerry K

Suggestion for Cap One Visa users:
When the time comes to use your points
for a flight, go to Travelocity or
Expedia or some such, and do your own
flight search. Then call Cap One Visa
with the flight numbers and times.
They actually prefer that you do that.
(And you're making your own choices.)

Cheers,

(mr) Gerry K

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:08 PM
Judy

Gerry: That is great advice, and I will use it when getting ready to book a flight. It sounds very easy! Thanks,
Judy