Search

Cape Cod Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod Trip

I have a question about the traffic from NYC to Cape Cod the week of July 4th. I will be going on this trip July 2007 (last-minute trip). I plan on staying three nights in the Hyannis area. I will be going on this trip with my mother by car. I am going to make hotel reservations soon. I narrowed it down to Anchor In Hotel, Hyannis Harbor Hotel, or the Holiday Inn Hyannis. If there is one out of the three hotels or perhaps another one near the area you recommend please let me know. It's important for us to stay close or ideally within walking distance of a harbor that has ferries which will take us to both Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
My question about the traffic is: Is the traffic from NYC to Cape Cod worse during the 4th of July week when compared to the week following the 4th of July week? I can go on this trip either week. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Not really sure what you mean. 4th of July is the middle of the week - so the traffic will be bad on both weekends. In fact, traffic fron NYC to Cape Cod is bad on all weekends in the summer. If you mean the week following the 4th and you will go up on a Monday it will be better than a weekend. But traveling any Fri PM, Sat or Sun the traffic is awful.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM

The Anchor Inn would be the closest hotel to the Steamship Authority ferries. The Hyannis Harbor closest to the Hy-line ferries. The Holiday Inn would be a cab ride (or you would have to drive). The Heritage House (508-775-7000) would also be a walk to both ferries. I think the Anchor Inn is the best choice if there is availability.

I think it's a toss up as far as the traffic. Because the 4th is on Wednesday I don't think there will be as much extra traffic as usual because people can't easily turn it into a three or four day weekend.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you nytraveler and gomiki.

nytraveler, I'm a college student so I am on my summer break. I'm planning on leaving NYC on July 2nd and coming back from Cape Cod on July 5th. Or, the following week and leaving NYC on July 10th and coming back from Cape Cod on July 13th. My mother and I will be taking turns driving. I just needed some help in terms of which of the above dates would be less traffic to and from Cape Cod from NYC. Your advice about avoiding weekends helped. Thanks!

gomiki, thanks for the advice about the hotels and the ferries. I did hear that the Anchor In hotel is great. It is an expensive hotel, but hopefully it will be worth it. Gomiki, your advice about the hotels and traffic helped, thanks!

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM

The traffic to the Cape is bad all summer and it is unpredictable from NYC. All it takes is an accident to tie things up. And 95 in Connecticut is often a mess as well.

Allow extra time. Everyone is on vacation going to the same places.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM

kathleen, I don't see a traffic nightmare (barring accidents and the usual rush hour traffic. Avoid Providence RI during rush hour...it's tough). You are coming at a good time. (Meaning the 4th if that's when you decide to come). I would try to leave NYC just after the crush in the AM.

If you are doing day trips you will miss the fireworks on the Vineyard and Nantucket as they are on the 4th. The fireworks in Hyannis are on the 6th.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM

There should be no severely heavy traffic the days you are planning to travel to and from the Cape. There's a new bridge over the Sagamore rotary, new exits off Route 3, and a couple of new roads and traffic patterns. The first "test" over Memorial Day Weekend went very well for those driving to the Cape. Driving back was not as good, but more changes have been made.

We haven't had any problems on I-95 in Connecticut for many, many years, especially since we acquired an EasyPass.

We've stayed at the Anchor In and Hyannis Harbor. Both are nice and well located on the harbor. We're staying at the Hyannis Holiday, not to be confused with the Holiday Inn, (having checked it out on a previous visit) next month.

Have a look at hotel/motel reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you FauxSteMarie, gomiki, and djkbooks for all the great advice!
Now I have a better understanding of the possible traffic conditions from NYC to Cape Cod and back.

FauxSteMarie, I will try to allow extra time. Thanks!

gomiki, I will try to avoid Providence RI during rush hours. Thanks! And thank you for the info about the fireworks! I will keep that in mind when deciding the dates of the trip.

djkbooks, thanks for the great advice & info about the traffic conditions. Also, hearing about your experience with the two hotels was very helpful.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM

From NYC, you will take I-95 all the way through CT and into RI. Just before downtown Providence, take the exit for I-195 (I believe it's exit 20).

Downtown Providence is tricky: the road is curvy and always congested, and you will need to get over out of the right lane pretty quickly to avoid being in an exit-only lane. (Sometimes rush hour is better because at least everyone is moving slowly through here!) The good news is that Providence is pretty small and then the road widens out again. If you're used to NYC driving, Providence is not very bad.

Take I-195 up into Massachusetts, through Fall River and New Bedford (the latter isn't great in rush hour either, but is quite small!). At the end of I-195, you will get onto Route 25 and follow the signs for Cape Cod.

At the end of Route 25, you have an option: take the Bourne Bridge onto the Cape, or take the exit for Route 6, which runs along the canal on the mainland side and deposits you at the Sagamore Bridge as djkbooks noted. I don't usually drive to Hyannis so I can't say for sure, but taking the Bourne Bridge might work out better for you.

Have a great vacation!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM

We prefer the Sagamore to the Bourne bridge when driving to Hyannis.

Just before leaving home, check traffic conditions at www.smartraveler.com for the Cape bridges.

It's best to have a good road map along. Then, along the way, once you're in Massachusetts, just phone Smartraveler (*1 or 617-374-1234) on your cell phone. This will alert you to lane closings, accidents, slow downs, backed up traffic - if any.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ggreen and djkbooks for the great advice! Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I will print out all of the great advice I received and bring it with me on my trip. I decided to go on my trip from July 10th to July 13th. I hope the weather cooperates!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM

The problem in Connecticut is not the tolls, DJKBooks, they were eliminated in 1985, so EZ Pass will not help you in Connecticut at all (although it will if you are driving to Connecticut from other places).

The problem in Connecticut is that 95 simply cannot deal with all the traffic. It is in great need of widening and improvements, but that always requires money and agreement as to how it will be done. 95 is a continual parking lot--and do not even ask about rush hour.

Information about Connecticut tolls and a variety of proposals to reinstate them and why it has not happened can be found here:

http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsear...&req=&Item=753

The last time I was in Connecticut, for a high school reunion about a year ago, I drove all the way to East Haven, where I stayed with a friend. There were NO tolls.

By the way, I am a native of Stamford, CT, but I drove up from the Washington, DC, area where EZ Pass is useful almost everywhere but CT.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM

The above mentioned document was published in 1995.

We drive I-95 several times a year between I-91 in New Haven and I-278 in NY (Bruckner). Except for a serious accident or big construction projects (which can occur on any major route), it's been many years since we experienced any more than the occasional slow-down. Obviously, any highway is going to be busier during rush hour, Friday evenings, Sunday afternoons, holiday weekends.

Over the years, we've tried alternate routes, but they're more out of the way than efficient, and are not without traffic problems.

It's possible that I-95 in CT is not as bad as everyone reports because the general advice is to avoid it if you can.

The question was weather the traffic would be worse during the week one week versus another.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM

Whilst you are discussing the I95 - how much time does it add on to detour off the I95 by Mystic, to cross the bridge at Newport as a scenic route option and carry on back to the I95. I would not expect to stop for more than an hour in Newport. I am travelling New York to Hyannis at the end of July on a Saturday, departing around 11.00 & need to arrive in Hyannis by 5.00pm to get the keys to my rental.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM

Are you talking about the 95N, if so, it shouldn't take out any extra time.

You would take the Rte. 138 heading E off the 95 - depending on the time of day (consider beach and tourist traffic and reg. commuters)and continue to Newport.

Cross the bridge and head into Npt. - this should take about 45 minutes from the 95.

Your best bet for parking would be at the visiter center on Americas cup Blvd. You can walk around Bowan's and other wharfs. Or you could continue and take a lovely drive down Ocean dr. and stop and have a picnic.

When you head out, you can take the Rte. 114 or the 138 and head N to the 24 and to gain access to the 195 E in Fall River.
One hr. btw, in Newport doesn't give you much time, but I'm sure you know that.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:11 AM

I drove I95 last year stopping at Mystic for the night. I did not have the confidence to take the route through Newport. The I95 was a pretty dull & boring route visually though very demanding for the weight of traffic & number of lanes especially round Providence I remember.
I anticipate having GPS which is why I would attempt this route. I would only take the coastal route through Newport if it didn't add too much to the trip. Shame I won't be able to stay too long but the view from the bridge must be something to see and maybe if I am making good time I might be able to stop a bit longer than an hour. It will all depend on getting an early start.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM

The view from the bridge is stunning. If you can take the 138 up to the 24 as it's abit prettier and less trafficed than the 114.
What time of the day are you coming?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM

The Newport diversion off I-95 is, indeed, scenic.

That said, it's quite easy to get off-track finding your way back on your easterly journey. The signage doesn't facilitate an efficient return to the interstate.

We tried it twice. The first time, I said never again. The second time, I said ABSOLUTELY never again. I've stuck to that.

Full disclosure: I do get lost easily....
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM

I have to get my 2 'children' up & then packed, breakfasted & up to the car hire in New York - experience tells me we will leave about 11.00am but maybe we could be on the road by 10.00.
Also the keys for the rental might be handed over after 5.00pm but I am awaiting a response from the owner or her agent.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM

Well, you won't have any tolls in CT, so there is NO NEED FOR EZ Pass in CT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -