Search

Cape Cod questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:56 PM
amy

Cape Cod questions

My family is taking a vacation to Yarmouth during the week of July 4. I've never been to the area before (we're from DC), so I wanted to ask a few basic questions about Cape Cod:

1. Where can I get a good lobster roll? I've been hearing all about these things and they sound delicious!
2. Is there a place where we can rent bikes, and if so, is it easy to get to nearby towns via bicycle?
3. Can anyone give a recommendation on some good, basic seafood places? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just good food at a good price.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:03 AM
gc

Amy,

Only general answers here...

1 and 3. Anyplace where you don't sit down inside. Lobster needs to be eaten in Tshirts and cutoffs. It just tastes better that way.

Regardin2, biking between towns isn't advisable. The nicest bike tripo on the cape, IMHO, is out at the seashore in Eastham. You can rent bikes right there.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:05 AM
amy

GC- Thanks for the info... sounds like eating lobster up there is like eating crabs down here. The more dressed down the better!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:59 AM
zootsi

The cape has many miles of beautiful biking trails, that wind thru woods and dunes. We usually bring our own, but I'm sure you can rent bikes in nearly every town. My favorite seafood place on the cape is the Bookstore in Wellfleet. It's casual but not cheap- but the fish is the best I've ever had.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Sandra

Amy - There is a bicyle rail trai on the cape that it over 25 miles long. It runs from the town of Harwich to Wellfleet. Not sure the ages of your family but there are a number of places to rent bikes and one suggestion would be Idle Times at Nickerson State Park in Brewster. Biking from there you can follow the trail through the town of Orleans, visit Rock Harbor and then bike over to the National Seashore in Eastham. This is about 7 or 8 miles and you end up at one of the most beautiful beaches. Stop in at the Vistor center at the entrance for info on the area and the seashore. When you rent bikes ask directions to the Nat. Seashore at Eastham because you have to get off the trail and cross Route 6 to get there and we didn't see any signs directing you there. The bike shop can can tell you the street to look for. The bike trail is very nice and is limited to bikes, walkers, and roller blades most of the way but it does go on the street through Orleans and Rock Harbor.

Enjoy your visit to the cape.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:30 PM
xxxx

Try Captain Frosty's on Route 6A in Dennis. Their lobster roll plates are the best!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:40 PM
aaaaaaaa

KevinsSeafood on Rt 28 in Yarmouth sometimes has lobster rolls that are really good. There is a place right over the Bass Rier Bridge that is on the left (if heading out of Yarmouth towards Dennis)set back from the road that doesn't look like much & they have fantastic lobster rolls. I get them without mayo

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Ann

Try Swan River Seafood Restaurant at 5 Lower County Road in Dennisport is good. It's a fish market/take-out restaurant and sit-down restaurant. Their chowder is great. There usually is a wait, unfortunately. But that is typical on the Cape... if it's not the traffic, it's waiting to be seated at a restaurant.