Cape Cod or Outer Banks

Search

Cape Cod or Outer Banks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod or Outer Banks

Hi. Trying to decide between the two. For those of you who have been to both or live there, what are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

For a varied, many-sided experience, go for the Cape. The "warm" season is shorter there, though.

The Outer Banks is a narrowly-defined, almost-pure ocean embrace. There is little east-west movement, and not too much in the way of diversions that you would find in Cape Cod.

The Cape, in many ways, has more character. But the Outer Banks is more elemental. I love 'em both....
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM

WOW! Hard to beat Bookhall's post.

I also would suggest Cape Cod.

There is just more of everything there than Outer Banks.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Whichever is closer.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Cape Cod.Much more to do and see.You can take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.Paul
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Ditto for Cape Cod. It has everything that the outer-banks has plus great food, theater, shopping, small villages, great architecture, gardens, biking, museums, entertainment.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM

The Cape!!! I love OB, but you get more character in the Cape. Choose OB if you are going in Sept or later, or if you are into surfing.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I think it depends somewhat on when you want to go and where you are coming from (how used you are to the heat) In summer I think the Outer Banks are too hot but the beach season there starts earlier, lasts longer.

The best time I ever had on the Cape was a trip in late September because there far fewer people than in the summer, but it wasn't classic beach weather. I like going to the beach to be on the beach rather than in stores, theaters, etc. so Cape Cod in high season isn't that appealing.

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
TahitiTams

Trying to decide too on the Cape or OB for a couple of days in September..
Is the water still warm to swim?

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I love the Cape for a lot of reasons, but the water is freezing (to me) in mid-summer. In September? Brrrrr!!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Probably most people would find it too cold to swim on the Cape in september. You might find it swim-able if you are used to really cold water
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
TahitiTams

Thanks starrs and V..
Living on the West Coast..the water gets to a high of 74 and we think its warm but too cold for people on the East Coast.
If you have a fav hotel/town, would love to hear it..
P-town sounds lovely!

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses. My husband and I live in WA State. We will be taking a driving trip along the east coast. We will be in DC & plan to be in Cape Cod the second week of Sept. My husband likes to swim and sit on the beach. I like to shop and walk around. We both love hot weather. (I'm a native Texan). That is why we were considering Outer Banks. Possibly VA Beach or Rehoboth Beach in DE.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I'd do Outer Banks. Less congested, and you can rent a house RIGHT ON the beach.

(Although it's getting a little late because the houses will be booked up -- and they pretty much all rent for a one week minimum.)
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
TahitiTams

Hi gluvscats..
We'll be there the same time..can't wait.
Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hey Tahiti Tams,

Please e-mail. I'd love to chat with you.

GG
[email protected]
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
TahitiTams

Hey GG..
I will e-mail you later..

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I will vote for the Outer Banks - especially if you're coming from the Pacific Northwest. The South East beaches are just so beautiful - and the swimming is divine - and it's very different from Pacific beaches.

If you want something a little more Cape like - try Ocracoke or Roanoke Islands - they feel a lot like the Cape to me. And they also have lots of guest houses and inns (the Outer Banks leans more to hotels, motels and rental houses). September in North Carolina is the best time to visit! Can you tell I love the Outer Banks? I live in New England now, and my annual visit to Nags' Head is my favorite week of the year.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Can you please give me a couple of choices of moderately priced places to stay in Cape Cod? We will going for 5 days and would also possibly like to stay 1 night in either MV or Nantucket?? Help plz -
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:20 PM

What's moderate and which part of the cape do you want to stay in. Each part of the cape has its own personality like the somewhat commercial Upper cape towns of Falmouth and Sandwich , very commercial mid-cape towns like Hyannis and Yarmouth, quant shopping towns like Chatham and Orleans on the lower cape and the more "beachy" towns on the outer cape in the National Seashore like Eastham and Wellfleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -