Search

Cape Cod in October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod in October

We would like to visit the Cape in mid-October- is it completely dead or will we be able to lodge and dine and see things? Where would be the best place to stay?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:35 AM

Its not completely dead, although things do quiet down a lot on the lower cape (north and east). You might want to stay somewhere like Chatham or Orleans (i.e. south) for best chances of finding things open. (Also, Provincetown is always a happening place.) The national seashores are open year round.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Boy that was a quick response and I thank you very much- we will only be there for three days (with a car) so we are limited in what we can see anyway- How is Hyannis as a place to stay- I hear its near the ferries to Nantucket and Marthas vineyard- would we have time to do the islands? Is Chatham or Orleans central to other areas- sorry to bother you again but you are far more helpful than the web guides- Cheers, Frank
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM

Well, I've never been much of a fan of Hyannis -- it is less scenic, full of traffic, and the beaches are postage stamp sized, compared to the magnificent east-facing national seashore. But: there will be far fewer crowds in October, and yes, it is near the ferrys, and it is fairly central to the places you'd like to see (except farthest from the national seashore.) The harbor is nice with all the boats and such coming and going.

(Don't bother to try and drive to see the Kennedy compound -- you will discover that all the streets in that area are one-way the wrong direction. )

Orleans is farthest out, and closest to the wild desolate parts that I like best, If restaurants and such are closed, they will most likely be closed in Orleans. Chatham is between Orleans and Hyannis -- quaint and scenic. Its probably an hour's drive or less from Hyannis to Orleans, so really everything is pretty close together -- you might want to choose based on what hotel looks good.

You could make a day trip to one of the islands by ferry if you like. Don't bother to take the car with you, you can walk around downtown areas pretty easily.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM

More like 30 minutes drive, says GoogleMaps. (But slower in the summer.)
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Actually I think early October is a great time to visit the Cape. Usually the days are still warm and I can tell you there are many times in October I've taken a chair and a book (ok and of course a jacket) and have sat on the beach for a few hours. Delightful!

The Cape Cod Railroad from Hyannis has a nice scenic ride and in early October many of the cranberry bogs it passes are in the process of harvest. So they are bright red with the floated berries. Very pretty.

Actually I think the lower Cape in October is getting a little thin so you might consider staying in Sandwich or (believe it or not) Centerville has a couple of delightful Inns (see my blog below I did a story recently on Centerville). Centerville is very close to Hyannis and not far from Mashpee and Sandwich, with both have a little more activity in the Fall then the outer Cape.

I don't think the poster ask about the Kennedy Compound but there are a variety of short boat rides from Hyannis harbor that go right past it and the rides themselves are great. Or you can park at the beach on Ocean Street and walk on the waters edge and get fairly close to it too (or walk on the sidewalks and see Hyannisport which is a cute little village.

If the weather is sunny and warm you can go to the Cape Cod Airfield in Marstons Mills and take a biplane ride. I did it (again) yesterday and the Cape from the air is something everyone should experience. (so is a biplane).

Enjoy!

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com
www.CapeCodAirfield.com
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM

While things get quiet on the outer cape, I still think it is my favorite. There are plenty of restaurants open in Orleans...more than a dozen to choose from. Wellfleet has its Oysterfest weekend(Oct 16-17) which is very lively. If you decide to go to the outer cape that weekend you should find lodging now. Whale-watching is still an option up to mid-October and all the shops in P-town and Orleans remain open. We always stay in Eastham which is at the beginning of the outer cape. The location is perfect for beaches (Fabulous National Seashore ocean beaches as well as Cape Cod Bay beaches) and Eastham is just 20 minutes from Chatham and 30 minutes from Provincetown and Hyannis. There is a variety of lodging in Eastham most of which is located on the main road Rt. 6. You can check out the Fodor's Editors picks for the nicest places in any town you choose.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Im the guy starting this question about our 3 day trip to the Cape in mid-October and I thanks all of you who provided great input. I am looking at staying in either Chatham or Hyannis? Which would you suggest- Also if we allowed time for a trip to just one of the Islands would you recommend Nantucket or Marthas vineyard for a mid october day trip- Thanks again, Frank
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Chatham for sure over Hyannis. Hyannis is the commercial Center of Cape Cod. And for a day trip IMHO Nantucket. It is smaller and easier to enjoy for a day trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I would take the Hy-line fast ferry to Nantucket. www.hy-linecruises.com . One hour vs. 2 1/14 for the slow boat, $75 round trip. Nantucket is lovely and small enough to see a lot of it without a car.

Orleans would be a nice place to stay too. The Cove Motel is right on Town Cove and some of the rooms have fireplaces. www.thecoveorleans.com . Chatham is a very nice village but harder to get to other places. Orleans would be more central for the area.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Now more to think about- I just found what looks like a great Inn in Hyannisport- the Simmons Homestead Inn- but would that be too confining or is it still easy to get to the other central cape towns etc. Thanks again to all, Frank
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM

there is a wonderful, wonderful B&B in Falmouth(also close to ferries) called the Inn on the Sound- check it out - you will NOT be disappointed!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I would have voted Falmouth too. It is close to the ferries & a year-round town.

Try Liam Maguire's Irish Pub (if there is music), Coffee Connection, and a table overlooking the pond at Captain Kidd's in Woods Hole.

If waiting for the WH ferry, check out WHOI, the MBL, the aquarium, and consider a walk on the Shining Sea Path, a Rail-Trail, (ask at your hotel how to get there) which goes along the coast from Falmouth to Woods Hole about 3 1/2 miles. Maybe head to Chatham to see the seals (and Great Whites? ie CapeCodNews last weekend) from the shore or by boat.

There is also a Whale Watching trip from Hyannis- but I would check their web site to see if there are whales in the area (may-oct) when you go and ask how rough it is- better to take dramamine or something because if you get seasick or you'll miss the action. We saw humpbacks breaching and bubble-feeding when we went several years ago.