Search

Cape Cod in July

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:58 PM
Mark

Cape Cod in July

My wife and I are thinking about visiting Cape Cod in late July from Georgia. Is the traffic so bad we would be setting in it rather than driving and is it possible to get a room on a walk-up basis each night? We would like the flexibility to move around.
Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2001, 04:33 PM
Donna

I would never go to the Cape in July and count on finding a room on a walk-up basis, but I would surely count on horrendous traffic getting to and from the Cape, especially on weekends, and traveling around the Cape, all depending upon where you're going.

Old May 21st, 2001, 04:37 PM
Donna

P.S. If your timing is opposite of everyone else (going there Sunday night, returning Friday night), you'll do much better. You probably don't need "the flexibility to move around", as you can easily cover half the Cape, with time for stops and poking around, one day, and the other half the another. This leaves time for day trips to Martha's Vineyard and/or Nantucket, if you're interested (although with hundreds of other day trippers, especially weekends).

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:33 PM
Cathy

July is very busy on the Cape so I would not suggest counting on last minute rooms though it may be possible yet maybe not at the nicest places. It is very crowded in July and August. I would highly suggest if you do not need to travel in July to wait until September when school is back is session in New Enlgand. The weather is warm and wonderful and the crowds are much lighter. I think you would enjoy it so much more esp. if it is your first trip! October is also very nice. Hope this helps. Also, if you stayed Mid Cape you could easily go on day trips and see as much as you wanted to. Go to www.capecodlife.com Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:02 PM
Pat

Good Lord...people will scare you to death about anything.

Traffic is heaviest on week-ends...from about Friday PM going to the Cape. Once you are there, you hopefully will settle someplace central and do your sighseeing from there. Don't on your life go without room reservations!

Start with the BedandBreakfast.com guide...find some B&Bs in the cape and try some of their links. Do some homework.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:01 AM
jeffT

Although I agree with some of the other posters, I strongly agree with Pat - some people are so negative.

Cape Cod is crowded in the summer, no doubt, and traffic over the bridges to and from the cape can be frustrating. Once you are settled, however, the cape is great. I would suggest getting accomodations in a central location and do day trips; you will probably not be able to walk into a random B&B and get lodging for the night. Personally, I prefer towns out at the farther end of the cape (from Chatham to Provincetown) as they tend to be quieter.

Have a great time.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:36 AM
anja

I would camp. There's lots of beautiful camping areas on the cape. I was there over last weekend, and I looked into several nice (family style) campgrounds. What's nice about camping is, you save a little money, you've got your spot, you can explore the cape and islands while using camp as a base.

The traffic is bad all the way up 95 in summer, unless you plan it right. If you have the flexibility, take the suggestions in the above post and drive on the "off-days".

Hope you have fun!
Anja

Old May 22nd, 2001, 12:28 PM
Cathy

Gee -sorry if it was me that Pat said was negative I was only trying to be honest and helpful. We happen to spend the summer in Chatham on the Cape and love Cape Cod! I was trying to address Mark's desire to be able to get a room on a night by night basis and be flexible. That may be more feasible in the fall when the crowds are less and rooms are more available!!!!!Traffic is a real issue on the Cape and planning what days and time you travel can save you hours of sitting on Rt 6. Going in July is great- Have fun!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 12:44 PM
Mark

thanks for your replies. We would be coming Mon-Fri so that sounds like it may be doable! I'll definitely book ahead. Thanks!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:09 PM
Maureen

Pat: In the alternative, one could advise Mark, "no problem"? Poor Mark might find himself enduring a three hour trip over either of the bridges and miles and miles of No Vacancy signs. Anyone going to Cape Cod in July or August should expect traffic and crowds. To minimize the extent of either would not be nice.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 08:20 AM
kati

The Cape is definitely worth the traffic, just use common sense! If you can travel at off peak hours (i.e. really early or late) you'll do much better. If you want to see all the Cape, you'll do better to stay Mid-Cape, around the "elbow" area. As someone else suggested, if you can postpone until Sept., it will be just as beautiful (and the water maybe even warmer!) without the crowds... shoot for after Labor Day. Plan on biking some of the many trails avialable... but you MUST make reservations in advance! Since you'll be traveling during the week you may have better luck with traffic/hotels etc. Have fun!