Cape Cod honeymoon accommodations for 50 yr. olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have friends in their early 50's getting married in September on the Maine coast (1st marriage for both) and they want to get away for 3-4 days right after the wedding on the Cape; they plan to take a honeymoon in the winter . After the stress leading up to the wedding they are looking to relax and be pampered a bit. They are thinking of The Whalewalk Inn and Spa and Pleasant Bay Village. They do not want to spend over low $300's. Does anyone have any good suggestions? They are also open to renting a house, a B&B, an Inn, any type of accommodation that is special. Thanks so much. I am trying to help out with this since they are dealing with so many decisions.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Well, they can always contact a realtor if they are thinking of renting a house in the winter; the choice won't be as plentiful as might be expected but if they give a realtor the heads up now, they might find something wonderful for a winter stay.

There are so many B&Bs on Cape Cod from Falmouth to Provincetown. I'd take a look at the lodging options on Trip Advisor and look at the photos there to see if anything is of interest.

Fort Hill B&B, in the National Seashore in Eastham, gets wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and here on Fodors. You should take a look at all the reviews. Yellowbi(y)rd, a frequent poster on TA and on Fodors, is the owner of Fort Hill B&B and will be able to help you with your plans. I don't know their off-season rates off hand but I don't think they're budget busters. Fort Hill B&B is a very special place in a special setting. I'd nudge them toward that B&B with confidence.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bowspirit, thank you for responding. I did notice Fort Hill B & B and it definitely caught my attention. They are going to the cape right after their wedding in mid September for 3-4 days and in the winter they are taking a week or so honeymoon. I will check into it further; this is the area of the cape they would like to be. Whalewalk and Pleasant bay Village was recommended so I was curious what Fodorites thought of these two and any others.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Whalewalk is a sentimental choice for me. My husband and I stayed there many, many years ago and before it was bought by its present owners, so I have no recent reviews to give you. But the thought makes me smile, and we fell in love with the area after staying there and are now part time residents of the Cape.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I don't know anything about the Whalewalk but Pleasant Bay Village is on a busy, narrow stretch of route 28 between Chatham and Orleans. I don't think it has enough charm to recommend it as a honeymoon destination. It is not of the same calibre as Fort Hill B&B, imo.

If they would prefer an in-town location they should take a look at the towns of Falmouth, Sandwich, Harwichport, Chatham and Provincetown.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Just want to say that Provincetown is hautingly beautiful in the winter months. It has a strong year-round population so it isn't a complete ghost town off season. I happen to think the winter is a singularly lovely time to visit Cape Cod even though it 'shows off' best in the warmer months!
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM

As mentioned, the outer Cape is beautiful in the Winter, but it is also quiet. Depending on what your friends are looking for they may want to consider how to best tailor their time on the Cape. Most towns are quite during the week and wake up a bit on weekends. Provincetown, Chatham and the Orleans/Harwich area have a few year round places to eat. So it all depends how "alone" they want to be. I'd stick with Chatham or Provincetown. As you move to the Dennis's West to the mainland the Cape is busy enough throughout the year.... but the charm and beauty are lacking...IMO
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. My friends will be on the Cape in mid September, not the winter.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Juldie: Yes, there was some confusion about the dates! Mid-September will still offer great weather, but of course all the rates go down a bit after Labor Day.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM

In September, places will be open all over the Cape, not a consideration.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM

No doubt about that!
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I just heard back from the couple and they had first considered Fort Hill B&B a month ago but they were not aware they had a separate cottage, which seems now to be their preference. She was thrilled with my suggestion of it and already contacted them for availability for their dates. They are very excited and hopefully the dates are available and it will all work out. They said it looks like a perfect destination for them!

Bowspirit, thank you for bringing Fort Hill B&B to my travel bank and destination to go list. I never knew it existed and looks like a real find.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM

My pleasure. I think it's perfect for this couple. The Nantucket Cottage is beautiful, isn't it?
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM

You can scroll down and read all three Fodor's user reviews here:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ew-200775.html
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bowsprit, the couple has booked the Nantucket Cottage and are thrilled. Thanks again.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Perfect.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM

I was sort of rooting for the Whalewalk. I was looking forward to hearing how it is these days.