Cape Cod Experts: Help Identify Hotel

Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod Experts: Help Identify Hotel

This is probably a very easy one for someone who has lived on Cape Cod for a long time. I'm researching something and came across a reference to a fairly large hotel with an indoor pool area under a large dome. Next to the pool there were some small golf putting practice greens. I believe it may have been a national chain hotel and also had event/conference space. I can't find any reference online to a hotel with this kind of indoor pool area and I suspect that perhaps it's been renovated with the pool dome demolished.

I do not know the town other than that it was definitely on Cape Cod. Time period was probably late 1970s to 1980s. thanks in advance.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cape Codder in Hyannis has an under-the-dome pool and water slides/ water park. Perhaps in the 70s it was just mini golf around the pool.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The Cape Codder in Hyannis has an under-the-dome pool and water slides/ water park. Perhaps in the 70s it was just mini golf around the pool.
Thanks for the input Clark. Hopefully I'm narrowing it down.

Today (from photos) the Cape Codder pool area does not match well as it's not dome shaped. I also did see reference to it formerly being a Sheraton in the past. It appears to have a disused tennis court in the back (the place i'm after did have at least one outdoor court).

The other possibility would be the Resort and Conference Center in Hyannis. That also does not have a dome shaped pool structure today but one may have existed either in the courtyard between the buildings with the rooms or where the outdoor pool is today (from Google Earth). Even possible that the current outdoor pool was previously enclosed in glass as the size/shape is a possible match. Also has two disused tennis courts in the back. However, the current indoor pool area (from photos) appears to be quite old (decades?) and does not match what i'm after.

A third thought was the Four Points Sheraton in Eastham but that also today does not have the same pool structure that i'm after. It's possible that it did but perhaps less likely due to the shape of the building - quite compact and rectangular (Google Earth again). This makes me question the info that the Cape Codder was once a Four Points Sheraton, BTW.

All 3 appear to have had conference facilities which ticks that box.

FYI, the project is researching some travel that a family member did in the US in the late 70s / early 80s timeframe.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 08:38 AM
J62

fwiw, I've seen sites that have aerial photos of different places from years ago. I recall seeing photos of the neighborhood I grew up in and you could see it expand over time as new roads were added. You may be able to find such images from cape cod in the timeframe you're looking.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what those sites were or how to find them.... other than starting with google.

edit: try this site: https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Last edited by J62; Sep 24th, 2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 09:35 PM

try the Town N' Country Resort..............see if that is it.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 03:55 AM

You're not crazy - I know the hotel you mention, but can't retrieve the name. I believe it was on Rte 6 in perhaps Yarmouth. We stayed there when our kids were little in the early 1990s as a winter weekend getaway from our home north of Boston - primarily because of domed pool. I remember being in the pool and watching it snow outside. The pool was in the front. Don't remember conference space, but probably wouldn't have noticed that. Good luck in your search.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:16 AM

If it was in Yarmouth it would have been on Route 28.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cape Codder added the retractable roof when they expanded the pool to a water park. This I think is a photo of the pool area before the renovation but probably 20 years after your visit:
https://www.capecodderresort.com/art...ild-water-park

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The Cape Codder added the retractable roof when they expanded the pool to a water park. This I think is a photo of the pool area before the renovation but probably 20 years after your visit:
https://www.capecodderresort.com/art...ild-water-park
The photo does not appear for me as it's blocked due to my location in the UK. I'll try some things to see if I can get it to display.

I was originally focused on the Cape Codder's current pool area being far larger and rectangular. However, from a closer inspection of Google Earth and with the historical aerial photo site referenced by J62 (thank you!) I saw that there is a octagonal structure in the courtyard that used to be more free standing (now it's semi enveloped by the new pool area). I suspect that this octagonal structure may have been rebuilt from the glass domed area that I'm talking about. Unfortunately the earlier aerial photos lack the detail to prove this. In the mean time, I will search for old photos/postcards of the Cape Codder to prove this once and for all. I may contact them. And keep my mind open that it may have been somewhere else. Thank you all and happy to hear any more views on this.