Accommodation in New York

Sep 10th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Accommodation in New York

We are planning a last minute visit to New York City in October to attend an award ceremony at Carnegie Hall. Flying from Australia we will land at JFK.

1. I am looking at Airbnb apartments for a one week stay in Hoboken area. Is this a good choice for reasonable, safe accommodation with easy access to the city?

2. How do we get there from JFK, it seems a long way and the thought of struggling with suitcases on the subway sounds very daunting ?

3. Is this suitable for the Award ceremony at Carnegie Hall?

Many thanks for any help with these questions that you can offer.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:40 PM

Why did you choose Hoboken?
Sep 11th, 2019, 02:22 AM
J62

Hoboken NJ is not easy to get to by public transportation from JFK. Best way is likely to arrange a car service from someone like Carmel limo.
NYC subways do not cross the Hudson river, but you may be able to take the PATH train (which for is basically a separate subway line) into Manhattan to 23rd or 33rd st station, then connect to a subway to get to Carnegie Hall. Others more familiar with NYC subways can give you a better ideas.

Or you could ask someone on the street "How do you get to Carnegie Hall"...
Sep 11th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

OK, so sounds like Hoboken is not a good choice of location. Can you give me some better ideas of where to look for reasonable accommodation.
Much appreciate your Imput.
Sep 11th, 2019, 03:54 AM

What price do you hope to pay for accommodations and for how many people?

You might look for a hotel in Long Island City which is just a few subway stops from midtown Manhattan, and is easy to reach from JFK.
​​
October is a popular time to visit NYC and hotel rates are high. Also be aware that the vast majority of Airbnb type accommodations are illegal in NYC, so choose carefully.
Sep 11th, 2019, 04:43 AM
J62

It's not necessarily that Hoboken is a bad location - it depends on your parameters.

Hotel vs AirBnB (which are illegal in NY City)?
Public transportation / transit time to airport / CH?
Near other sites?
How long are you staying?
Do you want a kitchen, or just a bed/bath?
Cost?

We go to the city once or twice a year and like to stay in the Chelsea area in a chain hotel. It's away from the crowds of Times Square which we have no interest being near, and has lots of fun things to do (recreation, food, shopping, walking, etc). There are many other areas of Manhattan and 100's or more hotels across the city, so no lack of options.

When I travel, convenience is worth extra $. If you are coming to town just for the single award ceremony then some extra $ just to be close by may be worth it. If you are spending a week and want to save $$$, then a hotel in Long Island City as described above, or the AirBnB in New Jersey may be better.

If you tell us your parameters we can give you more ideas or pros/cons.

Last edited by J62; Sep 11th, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Sep 11th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Right, this is a spur of the moment trip and my initial post was rushed and confusing. Sorry.
Already this year we have had one very expensive holiday and had not planned any more but hey, my husband may never get an award (be it only Highly Commended ) ever again in his lifetime so we decided to try to make the trip from Australia and since we are travelling so far we would like to stay for two weeks and see as much of NY as possible if we can stretch our finances.
We want/need two sleeping spaces because of a snoring problem but are ok with a sofa bed as long as there is one bedroom with a door, so hotels are out and so are studio apartments. ...Now you see the difficulty ! Cooking facilities would also be good though they do not need to be extensive. We are hoping to pay around $2500 AUS a week( we are dealing with a poor exchange rate too !)
We are both in our 70 so climbing 4 floors with suitcases is not something we enjoy but we are reasonably fit.

Perhaps Queens or Brooklyn would be a better choice of location ?

We recently spent four weeks in Norway staying in Airbnb apartments and last year did the same in Ireland. We are just home from a visit to Sydney once again staying with Airbnb. I was not aware that these were illegal in NY, they are a great company to deal with world wide. Are there other companies you can suggest ? HomeAway is also good, are they legal?
Hope that gives you a better grasp of our needs. Hotels are out. Too expensive and too cramped. Hope that we are able to find a solution. Soon, as we need to buy our airline tickets.
Many thanks in advance.
Sep 11th, 2019, 04:20 PM

If your husband is receiving an award at Carnegie Hall— that’s huge!
Congrats to him, and you. Of course you should go!
I don’t know their current prices, but there are some very nice hotels in NYC, with apartment suites and kitchens.
The Beacon Hotel, on the Upper Westside, was moderately priced when I stayed there, and very nice. There’s a full service market right across the street. And a subway stop. Looks like a pleasant 25 min walk to Carnegie Hall, going past Juilliard, Lincoln Center, and Columbus Circle. 10 minute cab ride.
https://www.beaconhotel.com/?gclid=C...RoCwMgQAvD_BwE
For his special event, I recommend you splurge a bit and stay close to Carnegie.
Other suite hotels are Affinia properties. We once used the Affinia Gardens, on the Upper Eastside. Reasonable price, very nice, had a kitchenette, as well.
https://www.affinia.com/gardens-suit...RoC2EcQAvD_BwE
Both hotels have a front desk, and elevators, with daily maid service.
Have fun!

Last edited by MoBro; Sep 11th, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Sep 11th, 2019, 04:34 PM
J62

It's not that Airbnb as a company is illegal in NYC, it's basically all short term rentals - Homeaway, VRBO, etc, it doesn't matter. The exception is for owner occupied residences, so individual rooms may be rented out, but not entire residences. It's somewhat of a cat and mouse game as well, where property owners will list on the sites, watchdogs or gov't agencies will try to flag them, and it's not clear how much effort the listing co's put into self policing. So listings are certainly available, but there is no assurance they are legit or will be flagged by the authorities at any time and shut down. There's clearly a demand and if you are a risk taker willing to rent this on essentially the black market that is your choice. It's not a route I recommend.

FYI, NYC consists of the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Staten Island. $2500 AUS is $1700 US, or roughly $250 per night all-in, including taxes.

If you can find a rental in Hoboken then it may very well be the right thing for you. If the biggest challenge is getting to/from the airport then one of the limo services I mentioned, or uber/lyft may be fine - I'm not familiar with current pricing and which works best for JFK to NJ. If you could fly into Newark (EWR) it would be much easier to get to Hoboken. There are non-stop flights from Newark to points all around the globe, including destinations as far as Singapore, UAE, Shanghai, Hong Kong. If you can fly non-stop to JFK that would what I'd do. If you need to connect somewhere then be sure to look at Newark.

From Hoboken you should map out the travel distance using google maps. The PATH train (which really is a subway, but is not called a subway) is a heavily used commuter rail from New Jersey into Manhattan. It takes about 15min to get from Hoboken to mid-town Manhattan (23rd st or 33rd st stations), and from there you'd catch various different subways which are identified by letters or numbers (not colors) to get to Carnegie Hall or other points around NYC.

I'm not sure how PATH tickets work and if you can transfer to a NYC subway line - i think the answer is no, you'd need a separate ticket/pass. Others can chime in with details.

Last edited by J62; Sep 11th, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sep 11th, 2019, 10:30 PM

Also consider the Salisbury Hotel in New York. Carnegie Hall is right around the corner. We stayed there a few years ago and it is not fancy but clean, safe and reasonable. Our unit had a kitchenette and was a lot bigger than we expected. I believe the building used to be apartments that were converted into hotel rooms.
Sep 12th, 2019, 10:35 AM

If you can deal with a sofabed in the living/dining area, the brand new Residence Inn Port Imperial in Weehawken has one-bedroom suites, the small king-bedroom is down a short hallway from the "living area" and has a closing door. $220 per night includes breakfast and the neighborhood is very nice. You'll have to budget in another $75 per person for a one-week pass for the ferry into the city.

Senior rates if one of you is 62 or older, and free wifi if you join the "club" when reserving the room

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ew_Jersey.html