Cape Cod - Bike Trailing Recommendation?

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Al Longoria

Cape Cod - Bike Trailing Recommendation?

My Family will be vacationing in Chatham the last week of August. We are planning to go biking on the local trails. I've read that the trails along the national seashore are about the most picturesque. Does anyone recommend any particular trail?

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:00 AM
KenCT

The "Rails to Trails" bike paths in the Chatham area are pleasant, but the ones through the dunes toward Race Point in Provincetown are absolutely incredible. They'll be lots of people out on the last week of August, but not to be missed.

Aug 13th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Al

Ken, Thanks for the suggestion. The dunes toward Race Point in Provincetown sound interesting.

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Jean

Yes, indeed the Provincetown trail is beautiful, however, it is also the most challenging since it is quite hilly through the P-Town dunes. We have enjoyed every trail from Marconi Beach to the Shining Sea Trail from Falmouth to Woods Hole. All the trails vary and you can pick up a brochure at the Chamber of Commerce which will describe the various trails. If you have the time you might take a stroll through the White and Red Cedar Swamp as well, however, I would avoid sunset as the mosquitos can be pesky.

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Eileen

We've done the rail trail from Dennis to Coast Guard Beach in Eastham or to Wellfleet many times. The trail is very flat and very easy. It runs through a variety of terrain passing by the ocean, harbors, beaches, lakes, cranberry bogs, small towns. You also go by Nickerson State Park. There are many spots along the way to begin or end making the trip as long or short as possible. As the previous poster mentioned, the trails along the dunes can be quite challenging. I found the sand along the trail to be an issue as you come down curves, etc. It really depends on your preference. Keep in mind that the dune trails are oceanside, which you may prefer, while the rail trail offers a variety. (Can you tell my strong preference?) How about a combination?
Have a blast! We have many special memories with our children and now as empty-nesters. (Sort of.)