Cape Cod Anniversary

Old Aug 13th, 2020, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod Anniversary

Hi all - Hope everyone is well and safe during these times! My wife and I are celebrating our 5th anniversary towards the end of September and I am surprising her with a long weekend in Cape Cod (baby free!). While I was hoping to do an international trip, I'm really excited to visit the Cape. We'll be going from Thursday to Sunday and staying at the Mansion at Ocean Edge in Brewster. I don't know anything about the area but really could use your help with the following:

1. Restaurants - So far I have only made one reservation at Pain D'Avignon for Friday night but am looking for other recommendations. We like everything from American to Italian to more adventurous eats. Primarily focused on dinner but nice breakfast and lunch places (lobster rolls!) are appreciated as well.

2. Things to do - My wife and I love biking, kayaking, being on the water. We also love walking around and sightseeing, historical sights or nice tours.

3. Day Trips - Is it worth it to drive to Martha's Vineyard one morning for a day? Anywhere else worth a visit during such a short trip.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old Aug 13th, 2020, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Brewste...ineyard-Island I would go to Provincetown, I have tried twice to get to Martha's Vineyard in early Oct and always rough. The fast ferry to Nantucket is not bad and I do love it there. Turo has a great little vineyard and usually a nice food truck on the front lawn. Best lobster roll ever there. We love the Lobster Pot in Ptown. Make a reservation though. Not sure how they are doing everything with social distancing. There are so many wonderful little villages. I do like stopping in Chatham. Great time of the year to go visit. Happy Anniversary.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 06:02 PM

Take the ferry to Nantucket and rent bikes. The trails there are fabulous.
Sesuit Harbor Cafe in Dennis for lobster rolls. Very casual with picnic tables overlooking the water.
Kate’s for fried clams and great ice cream. Just a stand by the side of the road.
Rent a bike and ride into Nickerson on the Cape Cod rail trail. You can rent kayaks there to boat on any of the three ponds. It’s $30 to park for out of state cars. 😲

Old Aug 14th, 2020, 10:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn’t go to Martha’s Vineyard with such a sort visit to the Cape. Route 6A is beautiful.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Happy Anniversary! The Mansion at Ocean Edge is a beautiful property with an interesting history.

Where to start. So many options! Google Fort Hill Eastham. There are beautiful views out to the Atlantic and a nice trail that is a one mile loop. Nauset Light Beach and Coast Guard Beach are a few miles away. There is a lighthouse at each one. Coast Guard Beach is often on the top ten list put out yearly by Dr. Beach.

Next town up is Wellfleet. Small, charming with galleries. www.macsseafood.com is highly recommended. Not sure of the hours in late September. Marconi Beach is in the National Seashore before you get to the village. Has sand dunes and an interesting history with Marconi.

Orleans is a great town for shops, galleries and restaurants. The Land Ho is good for lunch and very local. Nauset Beach in Orleans is beautiful. (Orleans is the town after Brewster and before Eastham).

If you go to Truro or to P-town look for the Atlantic Spice Company www.atlanticspice.com . If you like to cook or like tea (or need gifts for people who do) this is the place.

For biking www.capecodbike guide.com. It's 25 miles, paved and built on the former railroad tracks.

Agree that there isn't enough time for the Vineyard. And 6A is a beautiful drive with lots of old sea captains houses.

Post if you have questions and I would love to read a trip report!
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
How many days will be included in the “long weekend”? Day trips to the islands may be out of the question. There is enough to see and do without leaving the Cape.
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 03:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Have to agree with many of the comments. We rented the same house in Brewster for our annual Cape Cod holiday for nearly a decade (we then moved overseas and life changed), and always found plenty to see and do each year.

gomiki shares great advice. Our first evening stop was always at Macs; JT's and Cobies figured in, too, throughout our two weeks. It was not until our 5th or 6th visit to the Cape that we ventured to Nantucket, and we never made it to Martha's Vineyard. We brought our bikes and enjoyed the CCRT and the dune cycling up near Provincetown, as well.

With just a long weekend I would not plan on leaving the Cape.